Two iPhone X Models Confirmed

5 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Calling the budget offering "iphone"? Thats the worst idea i've heard all month

Honestly, iPhones aren’t that expensive if you buy used. The iPhone SE can easily be bought used for $100~$200 and it’s awesome. Better than any random Chinese Android phone from Gearbest around that price. Typically iPhones age well because Apple provides solid updates for several years. I know that “budget” and “iPhone” are oxymorons. It’s no secret. But you don’t have to buy a new unit at full MSRP. 

...This kind of makes me worried a little. How do you get people excited for new phones when the older models are so similar? Surely, phone manufacturers like Apple will intentionally cripple their devices with awful software updates. Because how else can we convince anyone that the Samsung S8 or iPhone 7 sucks and that they need to upgrade?

Just now, kokakolia said:

.snip

That's not what i said at all . Apple has made budget offerings in the past , thats not the issue .

They are literally calling the budget iphone the "iphone". That's what's making me scream internally atm

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

6 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

...This kind of makes me worried a little. How do you get people excited for new phones when the older models are so similar? Surely, phone manufacturers like Apple will intentionally cripple their devices with awful software updates. Because how else can we convince anyone that the Samsung S8 or iPhone 7 sucks and that they need to upgrade?

This is where the main speculation that Apple slows down devices to make people upgrade. It's pure nonsense of course as they actually try and get the most performance out of it to run the new OS. It just so happens that as they increased the time they supported devices, its hard to run a more modern OS on older hardware - especially phone hardware. This big kerfaffle began with the 4S - the number of people who complained it was slow was just absolutely huge. If you buy a 3G or 3GS etc then it will run just fine on Apple's software for the phone, but supporting that 4S, and in turn other devices, for another year was a bad choice. 

Having is plus size model of the X is appealing, but we'll see. I am loving my X, and will probably keep it until the next go around.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

5 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

My sisters iPhone 6 fell off a roller coaster from 200m and worked just fine after the fall. If that isn’t build quality then I don’t know what is. 

if it had a case it says more about the case then the phone

if it didnt - its sci-fi, unless it landed on a trampoline or in water

tbh, i have no idea whats proper build quality, but to me the pinnacle was my old blackberry passport, could literally break ice with a corner or use it as good projectile capable of cracking a skull. My parents both have an iphone, 7 and 6 i think, and while the thing looks and feels premium, its literally made of glue and shit aluminium, which, to me, is unacceptable for the pricetag. Even fucken plastic would be better. On the other hand - i have ipad 3, i think, and while its made of same shit, being more of a stationary device its totally fine and i love the thing. The phone, on the other hand, is gross and a joke the further you go into their model range

2 hours ago, hobobobo said:

if it had a case it says more about the case then the phone

if it didnt - its sci-fi, unless it landed on a trampoline or in water

tbh, i have no idea whats proper build quality, but to me the pinnacle was my old blackberry passport, could literally break ice with a corner or use it as good projectile capable of cracking a skull. My parents both have an iphone, 7 and 6 i think, and while the thing looks and feels premium, its literally made of glue and shit aluminium, which, to me, is unacceptable for the pricetag. Even fucken plastic would be better. On the other hand - i have ipad 3, i think, and while its made of same shit, being more of a stationary device its totally fine and i love the thing. The phone, on the other hand, is gross and a joke the further you go into their model range

200m is no joke even with the case thats rated for 6ft. 

Dang. I hope 3D-Touch remains. I use it all the time. I only use it for one purpose, but I use it daily. I use it to add songs/podcasts to “up next.”

17 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

The difference between a regular hold and a 3d touch is barely anything in my case. I'm not one to have a feather light touch on my keyboards and it translates to how I use my touch devices as well, so it's a tad annoying how easily it registers a 3d touch for me.

You know there's a setting to change the force required?

That's an F in the profile pic

21 hours ago, kokakolia said:

Sheer functionality means different things to different people. One thing is certain: Snapchat is better on iOS. That is a massive deal. This might explain why iPhones are so popular despite their seemingly lower features for the price. 

Also, iMessage rocks and Google needs to catch up on that front. 

Fair enough but I could also say that Snapchat is only important to a portion of people that use phones.  Sure my sister might use it but none of my friends nor do I use it. 

iMessage is pretty nice I will admit that is one definite thing iOS has over Android OS.  I think Facetime is good too though Google Duo is pretty nice too. 

The biggest advantage I think iOS has over Android is OS optimization and privacy/security.  Personally I like Android just because for me it is easier to access my files, music, documents etc with an actual file system on the phone itself.  I'm aware of iCloud though its just how I prefer.

59 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

Fair enough but I could also say that Snapchat is only important to a portion of people that use phones.  Sure my sister might use it but none of my friends nor do I use it. 

iMessage is pretty nice I will admit that is one definite thing iOS has over Android OS.  I think Facetime is good too though Google Duo is pretty nice too. 

The biggest advantage I think iOS has over Android is OS optimization and privacy/security.  Personally I like Android just because for me it is easier to access my files, music, documents etc with an actual file system on the phone itself.  I'm aware of iCloud though its just how I prefer.

IMO, the main argument in favour of Android is having the option of using custom ROMs. In theory, a phone could never be obsolete if custom ROMs get continuously updated over the years. In practice that doesn’t really happen because the community surrounding a phone dies off over the years. You’re lucky if you get an extra 2 years out of your device through custom ROMs.

2 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

IMO, the main argument in favour of Android is having the option of using custom ROMs. In theory, a phone could never be obsolete if custom ROMs get continuously updated over the years. In practice that doesn’t really happen because the community surrounding a phone dies off over the years. You’re lucky if you get an extra 2 years out of your device through custom ROMs.

There are other things as well like expandable storage via sd cards, headphone jacks (for samsungs at least), and I guess if you are just used to android os (but that could be said for iOS as well),  I think in general you could also say price point as they are typically cheaper but at this unfortunate rate I think 1K phones are going to become the norm...

26 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

There are other things as well like expandable storage via sd cards, headphone jacks (for samsungs at least), and I guess if you are just used to android os (but that could be said for iOS as well),  I think in general you could also say price point as they are typically cheaper but at this unfortunate rate I think 1K phones are going to become the norm...

These flagship phones are not the norm! They’re better than the norm in every way. I am not worried about this because: 

- data plans can only go down and shall offset the cost of the phone

- budget midrange options are plentiful 

- $1000 is still in the “affordable” realm for many people

45 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

Nah, you just gotta be good at guessing a phone that wont be abandoned. I still miss my original moto X, had it for 4-5 years and it was made of pixie dust and wonder. Even with a dying battery capable of holding around 4 hours of charge cyanogen worked like a wonder, esp after they incorporated googles optimizations for the phone. At stock it was just pure joy to use, the size was just perfect, google storylines was a fun gimmick at the time (still remember the first time i saw the hat randomly drift on the screen, the coolest fucken way to introduce an app ever) and customization was nice, although not with so many materials and colours as with the later models of x. The thing still gets updates to custom roms and new roms. Im so tempted to buy one again, imo its leagues above any iphone/other android in optimizations and useability, disregarding the specs ofc, they are quite old but totally fine for casual usage. Damn, i miss it so much TT

On 6/12/2018 at 5:46 AM, Supportsneedlove said:

My friend has an Iphone X, complete Apple fanboy. Says they can't get viruses and that the components don't wear down ever. 

That's who buys them, Apple fanboys with no tech knowledge and too much (of their parents) money.

Way to generalize everyone that buys these devices. Just because your friend is ill-informed doesn't mean we all are. 

Ryzen 7 2700X | ZOTAC 3070 AMP HOLO | 32GB Corsair LPX 3000MHz | SeaSonic 620W PSU | ASRock B350 Pro4 | Too many SSDs