Does hybrid gpu radiator location matter? EVGA says to put it above the GPU

Hey guys

Bought the hybrid cooler for my 1080 Ti and there's a note in here ro place the radiator above the GPU for optimum performance. Does It really matter?

I have a define Nano S and was going to mount it on the floor below the GPU.

Edit : I should have put this in the water cooling subforum. Sorry mods

I don't believe it would, your case has limited mounting points anyway so i'd put it wherever. just make sure if it's going on the floor it gets plenty of airflow.

Just now, FlpDaMattress said:

I don't believe it would, your case has limited mounting points anyway so i'd put it wherever. just make sure if it's going on the floor it gets plenty of airflow.

I was going to have it exhaust out the bottom instead of adding hot air in. Or would that conflict with the Vrm fan on the gpi and fight for air? There's a noctua a12x25 as frontal intake.

2 minutes ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

I was going to have it exhaust out the bottom instead of adding hot air in. Or would that conflict with the Vrm fan on the gpi and fight for air? There's a noctua a12x25 as frontal intake.

I guess that could work, just make sure you have a straight path for air and positive airflow. helps cool faster and prevent dust buildup.

9 minutes ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

Pretty sure you want the pump at the lowest point preferably to eliminate any issues with air bubbles or something like that.

Overall doesn't matter too much.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Pretty sure you want the pump at the lowest point preferably to eliminate any issues with air bubbles or something like that.

Overall doesn't matter too much.

I would assume that with a custom loop where you have to try and fight the air out. But the AIO should come fairly sealed and airless no? That's what I assumed

2 hours ago, FlpDaMattress said:

I guess that could work, just make sure you have a straight path for air and positive airflow. helps cool faster and prevent dust buildup.

It would be neutral. 2 intake and 2 exhaust

10 minutes ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

Hey guys

Bought the hybrid cooler for my 1080 Ti and there's a note in here ro place the radiator above the GPU for optimum performance. Does It really matter?

I have a define Nano S and was going to mount it on the floor below the GPU.

Edit : I should have put this in the water cooling subforum. Sorry mods

It's not a big problem if you have to relocate it somewhere else, as street guru has mentioned the reason the rad being higher up is better is for any potential air in the loop to stay in the rad so it doesn't cause excessive noise if it made it's way back around to the pump.

-Moved to Liquid and Exotic Cooling- 

It will work fine.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

Could be bad for dust. Perhaps three intake, one exhaust? I don't have any hands on experience with that case so i'm really not sure on the specifics. However, Positive airflow is most common.

Just now, FlpDaMattress said:

Could be bad for dust. Perhaps three intake, one exhaust? I don't have any hands on experience with that case so i'm really not sure on the specifics. However, Positive airflow is most common.

I could do as Intake. Right now it's 3 intake and 1 exhaust. I have the moduvent cover on the top to reduce noise pollution

bottom exhaust won't work, it goes against physics, plus it'll be noisy as hell

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

1 hour ago, aezakmi said:

bottom exhaust won't work, it goes against physics, plus it'll be noisy as hell

Heat rises.... rip thermal dynamics 

2 hours ago, LaboonTheWhale said:

not unless you have intake filter(s).

most filters reduce the inlet flow 40-60%

There is some air in the loop and over time air will enter the loop. WIth the GPU+pump beeing the highest point you will have air in the pump. Air will make the loop noisy and could break the pump. Best is to mount the radiator higher with the hoses on the lowest side, to make the rad work also as a res.

I have two hybrids and have them occupying the bottom two front intake fan spaces.  Each has two HD120 fans set up in a push/pull configuration and my gpu temperatures idle ~25c and never go above 37c.