Recording questions, any help will be appreciated!

Deleon.David

I want to start recording music with my friends

I'm really thinking of getting the at2020 or the sl300

is there any other microphones that you guys would recommend for less than 150 dollars?

also... which softwears do you guys recommend for recording and editing audio?

do i need any other equipment other than headphones? i already have the m50's

get the at2020 or the Blue Yeti. Recording you could use fraps or dxtory. and for editing the videos and stuff use sony vegas or something. 

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Mic: AT2020, not the USB one; Blue Spark, anything from Blue with a high price point to be honest.

Software: Well... Avid Pro Tools, but the price...

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

You'll need an audio interface.

I'd say, get the AT2020 and a Blue Icicle. For software you could use Adobe Audition, or Audacity. 

This is a very simple set up. so it might not fulfill your needs.

Does anyone even use PCIe SSDs?

+100 for the non-USB AT2020!

Look for packaged deals which include mic, I/O box, cables, basic software.

By far the best full featured (big learning curve) DAW (60$ USD) is Reaper by Cockos. It can go head 2 head with any of the big named DAWS. Mixcraft is a full featured DAW for those new to audio production too.

What country are you in.

For a DAW I recommend reaper, it has a free version which is awesome.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Mic: AT2020, not the USB one; 

+100 for the non-USB AT2020!

...what's wrong with the USB AT2020?  :unsure:

...what's wrong with the USB AT2020?  :unsure:

It's good, but you know... USB... XLR connectors are way better for audio recording, every audiophile knows that. And in my opinion, if you want to be taken serious with audio recording, just don't go for a USB mic.

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

It's good, but you know... USB... XLR connectors are way better for audio recording, every audiophile knows that. And in my opinion, if you want to be taken serious with audio recording, just don't go for a USB mic.

It's. The same. Mic. You'll be connecting via USB with a recording interface anyways.  :rolleyes:

It's not better and don't confuse audiophiles with recording engineers or artists, audiophiles don't know if there is a difference in sound quality between the two, It's simply that for recording, being able to have multiple mics you can use together with a mixer or swap quickly without waiting for windows to recognise a new device and have one interface that is designed to work with your recording software.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Nothing wrong with the USB version at all- they are two entirely different beasts, guts and all.

USB mikes are (relatively) new-tech. The reason why they cost more is 'cause unlike standard mikes which plug into an AD/DA converter e.g; mbox/babyface/motu...USB Mikes have the ad/da converters built in.

One could bypass buying an I/O AD/DA box and use (just) the USB mike "stand-alone" /w any recording software...with some severe limitations contingent upon what ones' needs are. Some pro/cons:

USB version pros: super portable, most inexpensive recording option.

Cons: because of the added electronics, the frequency range is much less- If I remember (bought one for an ex) the freq. response on the high end truncates @ 16k (16,000hz). I forget about the LF. Also, if you'd ever want to record 2 or more channels, you're stuck. USB mikes are marketed towards voice-over/podcasting community.

The regular version, being cheaper has a 20hz-20,000hz freq. range and is mean't to be used with an I/O box.

These days an I/O box /w a mike (and monitors) can be bought for the price of a mid-range GPU!

I gotta look (can't when I'm typing this!) and see if you defined a budget- I've been doing this stuff for a long time and would be glad to give some recommendations if you'd like. Holler if ya got any questions.

if you'd ever want to record 2 or more channels, you're stuck. USB mikes are marketed towards voice-over/podcasting community.

The caveat: you can, BUT: it is DAW dependent and you are limited by the number of USB ports you have on the pc itself, if you try to use a usb hub you will immediately degrade the audio signal beyond usability. So the solution is to put all your other devices onto a hub and have a bunch of hemorrhoid looking usb cables from the back of your pc or invest in a mixer/multi IO interface.

Heheh...ugh. I have 2 hubs for midi controllers. Ugly as hell.

The caveat: you can, BUT: it is DAW dependent and you are limited by the number of USB ports you have on the pc itself, if you try to use a usb hub you will immediately degrade the audio signal beyond usability. So the solution is to put all your other devices onto a hub and have a bunch of hemorrhoid looking usb cables from the back of your pc or invest in a mixer/multi IO interface.

Even then its not DAW dependent, my ancient copy of Reason 5 supports multichannel mics. 

Even then its not DAW dependent, my ancient copy of Reason 5 supports multichannel mics. 

Some DAW's like the free downloads of protools or versions that come with some M-audio gear are limited to specific interfaces.

Some DAW's like the free downloads of protools or versions that come with some M-audio gear are limited to specific interfaces.

Well those are gay.