Clap that PC

Ok, so i was wondering why has no one made a case or "button" which boots the pc by double clapping or something, because i havent found anything.

Just now, whatdoiputhere said:

Like that thing that turns your lights on?

I feel like it would be really easy to mod one of those to turn on your PC...

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, whatdoiputhere said:

Like that thing that turns your lights on?

yeah

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

then why has no one done it before.

Some probably did but just didn't put it on the internet. I bet most murders would just make it clap to turn on a wall adapter 

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

No modding necessary, just use a clap-on outlet.

1 minute ago, Just_Passing_by said:

because no one wants their PC to turn off by someone clapping?
that technology has stopped for a reason you know

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

22 minutes ago, Just_Passing_by said:

Ok, so i was wondering why has no one made a case or "button" which boots the pc by double clapping or something, because i havent found anything.

You can roll your own by getting a little microcontroller board like an Arduino, setting up a microphone so the board detects the sharp sound of a clap, and have it poke at the power switch on the motherboard.

Why wait for someone else to do it if you want it? :P

20 minutes ago, Just_Passing_by said:

Because your computer will shut down every time you watch Meme Review ? ? .  

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

29 minutes ago, Just_Passing_by said:

I'm going to quote someone on a different forum with the same question

You wouldn't want something that would suddenly cut off the power to a computer.

That could cause damage.

Better to have a mic, and a program on the computer that would power it down, sleep, when key words were said.

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

18 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

You wouldn't want something that would suddenly cut off the power to a computer.

That could cause damage.

Better to have a mic, and a program on the computer that would power it down, sleep, when key words were said.

That's almost as bad.

What if one of your family members decides to troll you by saying the key words?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

19 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

You can tell Cortana to shut down, sleep, or restart the computer. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

That's almost as bad.

What if one of your family members decides to troll you by saying the key words?

True, but with good software it could identify certain voices, similar to how some assistants do now

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

You can tell Cortana to shut down, sleep, or restart the computer. 

the difference is you can't tell it to turn the computer on while it's off

10 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

True, but with good software it could identify certain voices, similar to how some assistants do now

Recording would work requiring you to alter your voice command, plus in you could have to either deal with false positives or intermittent functioning.

40 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You can roll your own by getting a little microcontroller board like an Arduino, setting up a microphone so the board detects the sharp sound of a clap, and have it poke at the power switch on the motherboard.

As someone who has owned a device meant to identify a whistle, they are set off by the strangest events including coughing, doors and Nyan Cat at 1.5x speed.

Things which could set off a device listening for a sudden short loud sound:

1. Some keyboards
  2. Putting a book on a desk too loudly
  3. Something snapping
  4. Slamming a door
  5. Dropping things

You many be able to remove some events by altering what the program takes as acceptable or using a pattern but unless the program back identify if the computer is on in order to not accidentally turn it off when you are working it will cause more anguish than benefit.

3 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

events including ...Nyan Cat at 1.5x speed

The question is why you were listening to that xD

1 minute ago, Jtalk4456 said:

The question is why you were listening to that xD

The real question is why you weren't :dry:

It was a science experiment to see how long it would take someone to notice nyan cat through removed headphones at 2% volume. The subject removed headphones resulting in the speakers relaying the test song at 80% volume. Test subject did not appreciate this.

PC owner Installs clapper on pc > owner plays game well > owner claps in happiness > pc shuts off > owner is now sad.

:ph34r:

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Poking the power buttons is a less-than-optimal solution.

It would be far easier to just have like a Raspberry Pi with a microphone listen for claps, and then send a magic packet when it is detected.

No mechanical movement required.

No risk of breaking the power abruptly.

No risk of someone trolling you and shutting it down (the function can only turn the computer on, not off).

Back in the day I had a Zalman ZM-700GLX 80 Plus whenever I turned my fan or connected laptop or cellphone on the wall to charge or turn on the TV any thing inside my bedroom and the PC was in sleep mode it would turn on alone xD.

Kinda miss it even though that's a really bad signal :/

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

20 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

No mechanical movement required.

http://www.science20.com/beachcombing_academia/clapping_how_does_it_work-101879

I'd say clapping is very mechanical and physical, more so than pushing a button. Also: