i7 8750h - Power Limit Throttling - Low TDP Even though cooling is capable

12 hours ago, gQx said:

I forgot to mention about reducing offset voltage these are my settings and cpu wont go below 3.88GHz while temperature doesnt exceed 82-83C and no throttling. I use both xtu and throttlestop at the same time I didnt try using just one yet sorry. cinebench 1237 

xtu.jpg

throt1.jpg

t2.jpg

Adsız.jpg

Damn... that cinebench score... I still got the power limit throttling issue, don't know how to solve it, tried ur setting, still getting the power limit throttling. clock speed maxed at 2.6 Ghz when all cores are at 100%

Try reinstall Windows.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

8 hours ago, Pio Soesetio said:

It is still power limit throttling and the tdp's still at 25 W...   112.PNG.c079df21efac18639f8e9ccfba76298e.PNG12.PNG.88e46c2b8502bc650617d804065d5601.PNG

123124214.PNG

Capture.PNG

your core voltage still kinda high make 1000 try lowering offset voltage a little more like - 130 and make sure your cache offset voltage matches your core offset voltage from the throtllestop it usually isnt unless you adjust it and make sure all settings from both programs are exact match and can you try to choose c10 from this page

Adsız2.jpg

RIP firmware. 

Try this. Set your Speed Shift EPP back to 128 (or whatever the default is).

Turn on Speed Step

Turn on BD PROCHOT (looks like firmware states that 88c is max and you're nowhere near that so lets go).

Stop with the UV. Set it to 0. Even overvolt it a bit see if that 25w pkg power is artificial or firmware bug. Set it to +5mv. 

Set voltage mode back to adaptive. Fuck static. 

Stop using BOTH XTU and TS. They fuck with each other when they are both on. Remove 1. And use Hwinfo to moniter. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

12 hours ago, Pendragon said:

RIP firmware. 

Try this. Set your Speed Shift EPP back to 128 (or whatever the default is).

Turn on Speed Step

Turn on BD PROCHOT (looks like firmware states that 88c is max and you're nowhere near that so lets go).

Stop with the UV. Set it to 0. Even overvolt it a bit see if that 25w pkg power is artificial or firmware bug. Set it to +5mv. 

Set voltage mode back to adaptive. Fuck static. 

Stop using BOTH XTU and TS. They fuck with each other when they are both on. Remove 1. And use Hwinfo to moniter. 

Tried over volting it and it does reach a higher tdp which was 45 W as what the processor is rated, but the speed just throttles down to 2 Ghz.Capture.thumb.PNG.70f3dbb166f335cbfe59bf644319e409.PNGI posted it before btw. Removing the undervolt just brings the clock speed at 2.2 Ghz at 100% load on all cores, the tdp stays at 25W. Will disabling Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework remove the power limit throttling?

if it stuck at 2.2ghz try "disable turbo" button from throttlestop then re enable again sometimes it locks 2.2 for me too and this fixes. its promising going above 25w now we gotta go beyond 45w maybe you should play around with core voltage and UV you could find your optimal numbers 1100v still high i think 1000 is good

22 hours ago, Pio Soesetio said:

snip

LOL thats so weird. Did you do all those other changes on TS. Also DONT use XTU. Set back to default and completely uninstall. I think something on XTU is fucking with your power limits. Just use TS. XTU is famous for having visual bugs and settings being fucked up upon restart. 

Laptop Main

On 6/10/2018 at 7:19 PM, gQx said:

if it stuck at 2.2ghz try "disable turbo" button from throttlestop then re enable again sometimes it locks 2.2 for me too and this fixes. its promising going above 25w now we gotta go beyond 45w maybe you should play around with core voltage and UV you could find your optimal numbers 1100v still high i think 1000 is good

Disable turbo doesn't seem to be the problem since the processor reaches 2.6 Ghz at 100% load on all cores if it is undervolted.

On 6/11/2018 at 9:34 AM, Pendragon said:

LOL thats so weird. Did you do all those other changes on TS. Also DONT use XTU. Set back to default and completely uninstall. I think something on XTU is fucking with your power limits. Just use TS. XTU is famous for having visual bugs and settings being fucked up upon restart. 

Ill try unninstalling intel xtu. Im already running the program but i'll try unninstalling now. The weird thing is that the first time that i launch cinebench without those cpu tuning programs like TS and XTU, the score was 200 cb higher.

whats your motherboard model?You can find it with CPU-Z. There s a list on intel site you can download tested settings.

http://hwbot.org/search/profiles/permalink?cpuId=5711&mbModelId=&profileId=845586

If you got better scores before this make xtu profile default and delete throttlestop.ini file from throttlestop main folder and start again if you like

3 hours ago, gQx said:

whats your motherboard model?You can find it with CPU-Z. There s a list on intel site you can download tested settings.

http://hwbot.org/search/profiles/permalink?cpuId=5711&mbModelId=&profileId=845586

If you got better scores before this make xtu profile default and delete throttlestop.ini file from throttlestop main folder and start again if you like

casd.PNG.dcf09a5b5fc10c1fb33d1d46807c82bc.PNG

It's fx504GE, can't find my motherboard in the website you sent. Is there a way to set xtu profile to default? since i only changed the setting back manually. 

On 6/9/2018 at 10:57 AM, ZM Fong said:

Try reinstall Windows.

Is there any way that i can reinstall windows without losing the original windows product key that came with the laptop?

39 minutes ago, Pio Soesetio said:

Is there any way that i can reinstall windows without losing the original windows product key that came with the laptop?

You will not lose the Windows key. The activation is automatic

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

From XTU on the left click "profiles" then click default then "show values" button and apply.

And I found couple settings with your motherboard on that page this seems the best one:

http://hwbot.org/xtu/analyze/p/841339

Did you find a BIOS upgraded? A guy said he managed to find and install one 24 days ago and the throttling is now gone.

8 hours ago, Archardor said:

Did you find a BIOS upgraded? A guy said he managed to find and install one 24 days ago and the throttling is now gone.

On the same laptop? My bios is weird. I have a higher version than the one on asus' website. Mine is version 305 and it's version 304 in the website. Should i try flashing it with the one in the website?

6 hours ago, Pio Soesetio said:

On the same laptop? My bios is weird. I have a higher version than the one on asus' website. Mine is version 305 and it's version 304 in the website. Should i try flashing it with the one in the website?

I dont know then, sorry :(

On 6/19/2018 at 11:30 PM, Pio Soesetio said:

snip

I believe it might be other throttling like VRM etc etc. 

Laptop Main

On 6/4/2018 at 6:22 PM, ZM Fong said:

Let me tell you why. That model has a crap cooling. It has firmware throttling set at a fairly low temp. Since you've tried undervolting, there's nothing you can do (don't undervolt core voltage too much). You can't change the PL1 limit too (firmware lock).

PL1 limit?

That's an F in the profile pic

7 hours ago, Pendragon said:

I believe it might be other throttling like VRM etc etc. 

shouldn't be thermal throttling, temps are still low, only around 60 degrees.

3 hours ago, Froody129 said:

PL1 limit?

Cooling design is just bad. One of the worst cooling design I've ever seen in Asus gaming laptop.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Hi, Pio.

I'm just a beginner, trying to learn tweaking voltages and TDP limits on my  Dell G7, with the same i7 8750H under the hood. I'm using XTU and Passmark CPU MarK (5 iterations, very long test duration) to stress the CPU, and HWMonitor Pro to collect the data.

I've just read all this thread. It's very hard to believe that ASUS has limited the TDP to 25W for this would limit the 8750H to performance worst than a 7th gen. i7U CPU. And that could end on lots of people sueing ASUS for they have not really a 4GHz i7H.

On the other hand, I've seen your data and charts, CPU frequency is really limited. I don't know how this laptop should behave, so I believe yours can be a defective unit or it may have a defective CPU (yes, one in ten thousand, but it happens). Out of the box, one can expect thermal and power throttle, but not a CPU that never reaches the maximum CPU frequency.

Your issue seems to be a frequency limitation. Throttle would reduce from a high frequency for some time, like releasing the foot from the pedal in order to avoid high temp/TDP and them send back again to high frequency (pump the pedal) and so on.

So, excuse me for such naive questions:

1) are you doing the tests with the laptop connected to the power unit?

2) did you check if there's a Windows power profile limiting the CPU frequency? (Settings, Power, Additional power settings, change plan, change advanced, processor power, maximum)

3) do you know somebody else with the same laptop model to compare BIOS versions and tests results?

4) did you contact ASUS support?

5) did you try to return/exchange for a new unit?

6) Since your BIOS version is newer than the last one available at ASUS site, could it be discontinued because of this freq limiting problem?

Just for comparing purposes, I'm happy with G7 performance. I could undervolt and get rid of a little thermal throttle that  was lowering the frequency from 3.9GHz to 3.0-3.2GHz when temp overpassed 90oC. Now I'm reducing TDP PL2 limit or even disabling Turbo Boot Short Power Max to reduce or eliminate the power throttling.

If you eventually understand that this is a flaw laptop model and you're able to return it, just do it. New HP Omen seems to be a good value, Dell G7 too.

Good luck,

Mario.

On 6/25/2018 at 6:03 AM, Mario Estolano said:

Hi, Pio.

I'm just a beginner, trying to learn tweaking voltages and TDP limits on my  Dell G7, with the same i7 8750H under the hood. I'm using XTU and Passmark CPU MarK (5 iterations, very long test duration) to stress the CPU, and HWMonitor Pro to collect the data.

I've just read all this thread. It's very hard to believe that ASUS has limited the TDP to 25W for this would limit the 8750H to performance worst than a 7th gen. i7U CPU. And that could end on lots of people sueing ASUS for they have not really a 4GHz i7H.

On the other hand, I've seen your data and charts, CPU frequency is really limited. I don't know how this laptop should behave, so I believe yours can be a defective unit or it may have a defective CPU (yes, one in ten thousand, but it happens). Out of the box, one can expect thermal and power throttle, but not a CPU that never reaches the maximum CPU frequency.

Your issue seems to be a frequency limitation. Throttle would reduce from a high frequency for some time, like releasing the foot from the pedal in order to avoid high temp/TDP and them send back again to high frequency (pump the pedal) and so on.

So, excuse me for such naive questions:

1) are you doing the tests with the laptop connected to the power unit?

2) did you check if there's a Windows power profile limiting the CPU frequency? (Settings, Power, Additional power settings, change plan, change advanced, processor power, maximum)

3) do you know somebody else with the same laptop model to compare BIOS versions and tests results?

4) did you contact ASUS support?

5) did you try to return/exchange for a new unit?

6) Since your BIOS version is newer than the last one available at ASUS site, could it be discontinued because of this freq limiting problem?

Just for comparing purposes, I'm happy with G7 performance. I could undervolt and get rid of a little thermal throttle that  was lowering the frequency from 3.9GHz to 3.0-3.2GHz when temp overpassed 90oC. Now I'm reducing TDP PL2 limit or even disabling Turbo Boot Short Power Max to reduce or eliminate the power throttling.

If you eventually understand that this is a flaw laptop model and you're able to return it, just do it. New HP Omen seems to be a good value, Dell G7 too.

Good luck,

Mario.

The laptop does reach 4.1 Ghz. But only when the cpu load is low. It won't even reach 3 Ghz when under 100% load despite the temperatures being low.

1. Yes i am

2. Nope, all on max performance settings

3. Yes, i have 2 friends who also owns this laptop. One of them have the same problem with me, although his cpu frequency was slightly higher than mine even though it is still not how it should be. And another friend which has no problem reaching 1000 cb cpu score in cinebench. BIOS versions were the same between mine and my friends'

4. Yes i did. followed some steps that they gave (they asked me to do a disk cleanup and enabling high performance mode which was already set before they asked me to do it. They told me to go to a service center if the problem still occurs.) So i went to the service center.

5. I was out of the return limit for the laptop (3 days after the laptop was bought) So i went to the service center. They first asked me to reset windows. I did and guess what happens, the problem gets even worse. The cpu score was only 580 and gpu was 80 fps (gtx 1050 Ti, fyi i was getting 100+ fps before i reset windows just what a gtx 1050 Ti would get). I showed them the scores and no the laptop is currently at service. They're replacing the motherboard, along with the cpu and gpu. The thing that annoys me at the service center is that the guy there says that if the score is still the same after they replace the motherboard, cpu, and gpu, they would assume that's how it is supposed to be and won't fix it again. The service takes 1 week, and is currently still on in service. Hopefully it fixed the problem.

6. I tried flashing the latest bios from ASUS' website which is version 304, same results. I also tried the first bios (version 303) still same results.

HI, Pio.

I have a same laptop & same problem , also currently at service now .

But I just find a way in mobile 01:

https://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=233&t=5498238

It said  Windows Update can find the bios V310 which can solve this problem, also improve cinebench score 600 to 1000.

If the problem still annoys you. Hopefully it can help you.