i7 8750h - Power Limit Throttling - Low TDP Even though cooling is capable

4 hours ago, SurajPai said:

Sorry for the noob question here, but how did you get it? Even the asus website shows 310.

You get it from windows update.

2 hours ago, aminnur said:

i dont think so ,probably because of the power throttling issue,because somehow, i manage to get 980 score yesterday at 2.85ghz,

Well I managed to get 1115 with 3.4 Ghz

well if u reached 980, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Mine gets only 700 before, so i went to the service center and got it fixed (still have the warranty).

So what is the most anyone has been able to reliably undervolt their 8750H?  

I tried -.225V and got through numerous Cinebench runs, but crashed while editing a video in Premiere.

So I'm set at -.175V now and trying again. 

The machine is a HP Omen 15".  

Ryzen 7 2700X , Asus Prime X570-Pro, Bykski CPU Block, AMD Vega 56, Barrow GPU block, g.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB PC2800, Dual EKWB SE360 Radiators, Corsair RM750x PSU. All in a Lian-Li PC011 Dynamic XL case.

On 8/12/2018 at 8:36 PM, MandicReally said:

So what is the most anyone has been able to reliably undervolt their 8750H?  

I tried -.225V and got through numerous Cinebench runs, but crashed while editing a video in Premiere.

So I'm set at -.175V now and trying again. 

The machine is a HP Omen 15".  

Cache on -139 mV and core on - 360 mV.

I can push the cache to -155 mV but it can crash when used to render for some time.

That up there is stable, completely stable (at least for me)

I have an MSI GS65 with the 8750H and have been working on a solution to thermal and power throttling.

First, you may want to check your Power Options and ensure that you have everything set to Maximum Performance

For those with an MSI product and running Dragon Center, make sure you have Shift set to Turbo. I prefer to have Fan Settings set to Advanced.  Under the Fan Settings, I used a constant 100% for my gaming profile (50% is not very effective, and the total fan speed extends to 150%, so 100% seems more like 75% if you ask me).

So far, I have a stable undervolt at -0.200V core offset with no thermal throttling.  My CineBench R15 score with this setup is around 1244.

On 12/8/2018 at 12:00 PM, Pio Soesetio said:

Yes it does reach 3.9 Ghz. It can even reaach 4 Ghz in games. It reached 3.9 Ghz at all cores with 100% load when rendering videos. About the stuterring, i don't really know, maybe a bios update fixed it but i fixed mine with some undervolting on the gpu and it runs well and temps are really cool, only reached 70 celsius after hours of gaming.

Is gpu undervolting safe or does it affect the longevity of the gpu as I plan on keeping my laptop for at least 2 years. Also can you direct me where I can learn how to undervolt my gpu.

On 8/7/2018 at 4:55 PM, JarrodsTech said:

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one having this issue, there aren't that many reported instances of it on the Internet it seems. Just wanted to note that I was testing a FX504 recently and had exactly the same issues noted in this thread with BIOS version 310, power limit throttling at 25W TDP that could not be modified in software.

Out of the box I get ~949 in Cinebench, I was able to increase this to a ~1012 average with a -0.150v undervolt though. Temps were perfectly fine, never passing 74c in Aida64 stress test.

I also noticed that while gaming for a few hours while plugged in, the battery charge level dropped from 100% to 85%, perhaps indicating that the 130w power brick isn't able to provide enough power to the machine, which may be why they've limited it to 25W in the first place. This makes me wonder if a future BIOS update would help, if adequate power can't be provided with the limit in place how will it go with a higher limit / limit removed? Maybe they could do something to only limit if the overall system power draw is past a certain point rather than just arbitrarily always limiting the CPU to 25W.

I outlined this and the results/benchmarks in full details here if anyone is interested:

Can you do a follow up video or can you tell me if the stuttering in games is still present after the bios update??

Update: BIOS version update 312 seems to have significantly improved the performance (Not fully, the power limit throttling issue is still present). Can anybody confirm?

3 hours ago, SurajPai said:

Update: BIOS version update 312 seems to have significantly improved the performance (Not fully, the power limit throttling issue is still present). Can anybody confirm?

Not for me, clocks still go down to about 2.8 when power limit throttling is active.

6 hours ago, Combuh said:

Not for me, clocks still go down to about 2.8 when power limit throttling is active.

But did the fps drops improve?

4 hours ago, SurajPai said:

But did the fps drops improve?

Not at all.

Man, I was pretty close to buying the i5 version of this laptop but after reading about these power limit issues and stuttering I'm kinda put off.

I'm guessing that none of you would recommend this laptop right?

13 hours ago, jammiedod93r said:

Man, I was pretty close to buying the i5 version of this laptop but after reading about these power limit issues and stuttering I'm kinda put off.

The recent update does seem to fix the fps drop problem... But the core clock still does not max out. I'll keep this post updated if i see any major changes. You could buy this one only if you can get it dirt cheap.

Did you guys try to use high performance battery profile? Just create a new power plan using high performance profile. I feel stuttering is reduced. How about you guys? Did you also face the problem battery draining when playing games even though charger is connected?

7 hours ago, Danang WW said:

Did you guys try to use high performance battery profile? Just create a new power plan using high performance profile. I feel stuttering is reduced. How about you guys? Did you also face the problem battery draining when playing games even though charger is connected?

Yeah the stuttering has been reduced on new bios update 312,and yep battery still draining when play games while connected to charger 

On 8/17/2018 at 9:39 PM, jammiedod93r said:

Tbh, I recommend this laptop, the power throttling is actually has a good side which is the cpu will never overheat due to low clock speed, therefore it will prolonged the lifespan of the laptop

HI guys, I'm going to buy this laptop with DOS version i7 on this Wednesday 22 August 2018....it can be seen here..

https://brightstarcomputer.com.my/product/asus-tuf-fx504g-ddm617-gaming-notebook-15-6inch-intel-i7-4gb-1tb-gtx1050-4gb-dos/

Hope the power limit problem will reduce next BIOS release.. the specs quite impressive..maybe they are want to reduce heat of the laptop by limiting the  overclocking...but Intel actually did not design that such microchip if not, it cannot throttle to 4.1GHz... maybe need the extra fans for overclocking...:D

On 8/20/2018 at 6:20 PM, Hidayat Ahmad said:

HI guys, I'm going to buy this laptop with DOS version i7 on this Wednesday 22 August 2018....it can be seen here..

https://brightstarcomputer.com.my/product/asus-tuf-fx504g-ddm617-gaming-notebook-15-6inch-intel-i7-4gb-1tb-gtx1050-4gb-dos/

Hope the power limit problem will reduce next BIOS release.. the specs quite impressive..maybe they are want to reduce heat of the laptop by limiting the  overclocking...but Intel actually did not design that such microchip if not, it cannot throttle to 4.1GHz... maybe need the extra fans for overclocking...:D

To be honest, this throttling is not because of heat, but because of the powerbrick charger doesn't supply enough power to the laptop

Hello guys, is the power limit issues still there after the latest bios update(Ver 312)?? Thank you :)

19 hours ago, Prajjawal1301 said:

So, he just go to over boost fan mode? And the problem is gone? Can anyone confirm it? 

12 hours ago, Alexliemal said:

So, he just go to over boost fan mode? And the problem is gone? Can anyone confirm it? 

The fan boost option doesn't even seem to work for me.

My laptop is power throttling when running on battery and thermal throttling when plugged in when rendering and playing games.

Is there any fix for this?

(The laptop is MSI GS65)

I seem to have an issue on my brand new Acer Predator Helios 500 where it very easily power and current throttles, at least according to XTU.

I'm a total noob at this stuff, but trying to learn how to optimize my CPU by undervolting and power boosting however I don't feel I've made much headway regarding the power throttling and current throttling.

What is actually causing the power/current throttling and what settings should I be adjusting in order to try and fix it?

These are the settings that gave me the best results so far on the built in benchmark, but it still power throttles and current throttles a lot during that short benchmarking, please advice how I should try to address this.

Undervolting.PNG

Benchmark.PNG

I managed to beat this score by increasing the Turbo Boost Short Power Max to 110 and undervolting it to -150, I got 4,01 GHz max processor frequency and 1418 Marks score, it also passed a 30 minute stress test.

I've ran Cinebench too and got a score of 1103 which looks...decent I guess.

On 23/08/2018 at 2:07 AM, Alexliemal said:

Hello guys, is the power limit issues still there after the latest bios update(Ver 312)?? Thank you :)

No, it's still an issue.

Hasn't been fixed, and it never will be. If it could have been fixed, it would have by now.

It's a design flaw with the laptop.

Edit: CPU doesn't matter as well, it happens with the 8300H