PS3 GPU Size

Mr.Huggles

Not really sure if there is a better place to post this (still rather new here), but i'm hoping to find some help making an educated guess as to the dimensions of the RSX Reality Synthesizer used in the original ps3.  I'm looking to do some preventive maintenance to mine and am considering using one of Innovation Cooling's new graphite thermal pad instead of thermal paste.  Only problem is that the pads only come in 30x30mm and 40x40mm and I can't find any specs regarding the dimensions of the ps3 gpu.  It looks like it might be 40x40mm, but am not sure and could use some help from people maybe more experienced with looking at gpu's.

RSX_'Reality_Synthesizer'.jpg

1280px-PS3_NTSC_COK-001_motherboard_(60GB_version).jpg

Umm...how about you measure it...with a ruler?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

13 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Umm...how about you measure it...with a ruler?

I havn't yet opened my ps3 (ever).  This will be my first time in there and i'm not going to open it when i'm still needing to use it for work (yes, i literally need it for work-don't ask, it's complicated).  If i'm opening it i'm going to have something to put on it so it's up and running in the same day.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Huggles said:

I havn't yet opened my ps3 (ever).  This will be my first time in there and i'm not going to open it when i'm still needing to use it for work (yes, i literally need it for work-don't ask, it's complicated).  If i'm opening it i'm going to have something to put on it so it's up and running in the same day.

Oh, if that's the case, try asking around on other forums and Reddit, for example, to see if anyone's willing to open their PS3 up.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Look up an ifixit teardown of the ps3 that has the GPU next to the ps3 case.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Look up an ifixit teardown of the ps3 that has the GPU next to the ps3 case.

I did that.  There's no info I could find on it there.

3 minutes ago, Mr.Huggles said:

I did that.  There's no info I could find on it there.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation+3+Teardown/1260

BdlGEXaWkbrpS6b2.huge

Looks to be between 40x40 and 45x45.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just eyeballing it here but I copied the image into paint. I know the width of the RJ45 port is ~15mm. Drew a line across it and then dragged it over to the RSX chip, about 3 and 1/2 lines fit across the chip, so I'd guess it's around 40 to 45mm square, so you'll probably be fine with a 40x40

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

1 minute ago, Theguywhobea said:

Just eyeballing it here but I copied the image into paint. I know the width of the RJ45 port is ~15mm. Drew a line across it and then dragged it over to the RSX chip, about 3 and 1/2 lines fit across the chip, so I'd guess it's around 40 to 45mm square, so you'll probably be fine with a 40x40

Interesting work.  I figured someone here would be able to put together a creative way to guesstimate a possible dimension (wasn't really expecting someone to actually know the real dimensions).  Thanks for the effort.

1 minute ago, toastythomas said:

I will tear apart my PS3 tonight or tomorrow. 

Oh Wow!  Thanks for the effort.  I wouldn't have expected this.  I feel like asking someone to tear apart a system just for this is kind of like sniveling.  I was thinking If I couldn't get figure it out I'd just go with a good thermal paste.  Although I may just end up getting some of these thermal pads anyway to cut up and use on a thread ripper so maybe I'll just get extra and if they don't fit then throw on the goop and be done with it.

The flash memory chip made by Samsung  ( the one to the right of the Marvel SCEI IC) is  12.4 mm by 18.5 mm  or 12 mm by 15.4 mm , excluding the contacts.  The size changes depending on the format of the flash memory, I can't from the picture if it's TSOP1 or WSOP1 - see datasheet, pages 4 and 5 :

K9F1G08U0A.pdf

So you can determine the size of the chips using these dimensions... measure how many pixels are in that flash chip and you know that so many pixels represent 12 or 12.4 mm in "real life", so you can then measure the other chips.

Cell: 40mm x 40mm

RSX: 42mm x 42mm

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

Cell: 40mm x 40mm

RSX: 42mm x 42mm

Interesting.  What's the source of this info?

12 hours ago, Mr.Huggles said:

Interesting.  What's the source of this info?

http://psx-scene.com/forums/f177/physical-size-ps3-cpu-gpu-87600/index2.html#post828491

Some other post reckons 43mm for RSX: http://psx-scene.com/forums/f177/physical-size-ps3-cpu-gpu-87600/#post828210

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

There's an image on Wikipedia with a caption that claims the package is 4.28cm on each side. But keep in mind the die size doesn't take up the entire heat spreader area.

Considering the RSX is based on the GeForce 7 series, specifically a 7800 GTX with some missing ROPS, we can look at the specs for those and try to figure out a best guess. So the die size of the 7800 GTX was about 18.5x18.5 cm (I found that number at http://www.hardwarezone.com/review-nvidia-geforce-7800-gtx-g70/302-million-transistor-gpu-430mhz). But it was made on a 110nm process and the PS3 used 90nm process. So it's likely even smaller, but to be safe, I'd  say it's about 18x18cm.