GDPR Brings Massive Speed Improvement to Websites

LAwLz
9 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Those are some interesting comments on that tweet you linked:

GDPR is bad. We need tracking because pedophiles. Also, companies will go broke without tracking. However, pedophiles!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Whenever someone mentions terrorists or protecting children these days, they almost always have a political agenda, usually to restrict freedoms and control normal people. 

It's a simple tactic because if yoy claim that yoy just want to protect children or protect people from terrorist, anyone who tries to argue against you will look bad. 

Like that person on Twitter. He can just say "you're helping pedophiles!" to anyone who thinks GDPR is good. 

This is why I always become extremely suspicious whenever someone brings up terrorism or protecting children these days. I hope other people do too. 

I've blocked javascript and ads on a whitelist basis, for around 10 years now. Many websites I refuse to use if they don't work without javascript when it's obvious they don't need it.

53 minutes ago, Dionyz said:

I am a marketer and it’s a simple reason. We want to know our markets. Honestly we wouldn’t have to track anyone if everyone just did surveys.

This type of data is very valuable to have. People are willing to pay millions because they can earn millions by catering to the market. (Each market is different and trends change)

Its a win - win for everyone since we can identify issues of why sales are low or what people would like more of. Just imagine if we couldn’t take data by tracking inventory there would be shortages or surplus’s and the consumers are going to pay for it.

i'm not sure of what you went for there, but it certainly isn't a "win" for people that get their data used and abused without control and without permission.

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

This is a big reason why we need more regulation on personal data generating and harvesting. And just think, the right-side image is also like what is happening in Windows 10 with the actions that a person does in the OS.

Also, I haven't read up too much on the details of GDPR, but is it possible for EU site visits to still be made to behave like the image on the right, if the site owner simply words their disclaimer in a way that lets them know their data is being collected and used?

You can explore the details of the US site's request map here: http://domainmap.webperf.tools/render/180525_JN_47e779799e746bc1e1a325eb464ae006/

I am fairly certain most smaller companies without a legion of lawyers finding loopholes will not take the risk, 4% of their annual turnover would not only noticably infringe on profits but also could worry share holders.

It seems XDA is not yet compliant (At least there are no "We are using cookies" warnings) as the number of third party domains related to ads and hence tracking it is contacting is rather high in comparison to say LTT.

image.png.7375ae8b252fe7b5a674bd2e20ea39ed.png

17 hours ago, Lurick said:

Look up Right to Be Forgotten and how that's being abused like crazy by criminals and other people to take down all articles talking about their crimes so nobody can find anything about them. If I recall correctly it's also become part of the GDPR or at least is now EU wide.

Edit:

Additionally there are quite a few reports on how the laws are not completely uniform across the EU so for example, what might be applicable in Germany isn't applicable in France for one part but is applicable in both for another part.

Right to be forgotten isn't being abused, it has a ton of caveats and essentially is only used to require hiding convictions that happened decades ago or very minor cases. More importantly it is being used to hide false accusations and slander. It was EU-wide the second the European Court of Justice ruled that way.

Those reports are full of crap, GDPR sets a minimum. Every country within the EU has to observe that, if however a national law provides even more protections that law may be applied as well.

2 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

This is a big reason why we need more regulation on personal data generating and harvesting. And just think, the right-side image is also like what is happening in Windows 10 with the actions that a person does in the OS.

Also, I haven't read up too much on the details of GDPR, but is it possible for EU site visits to still be made to behave like the image on the right, if the site owner simply words their disclaimer in a way that lets them know their data is being collected and used?

https://twitter.com/paulcalvano/status/1000094333524201473

You can explore the details of the US site's request map here: http://domainmap.webperf.tools/render/180525_JN_47e779799e746bc1e1a325eb464ae006/

GDPR requires informed consent, so they can't just get away with a quick disclaimer. The site needs to actively inform you and require you to agree to the tracking. The regulation also requires acceptance of your browser's do not track feature so that one finally actually works too.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

On 5/28/2018 at 8:01 AM, Trixanity said:

Those are some interesting comments on that tweet you linked:

GDPR is bad. We need tracking because pedophiles. Also, companies will go broke without tracking. However, pedophiles!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is just taking a dramatic outlook on the issue. I could argue that data collection could lead to other terrible consequences. You don't want an all knowing Terminator do you? Both sides have downsides but as a whole GDPR protects you from the internet overlords who want to own your life

For floatplane.com actually doing more requests in the EU than in the US. Quite interesting image.png.abdcfbf2252066c67c534a1a288c32ba.png

It always amuses me when news websites seem bent on making their site crash before I can even read the article, then I make sure to never use them again

On 5/28/2018 at 8:14 AM, Dionyz said:

If the data can benefit businesses then they would like the data, but if it’s not beneficial they don’t want it. It’s not that they are trying to track your life through memories, but it’s more focused on seeing what you personally like, so they can give you more varieties of the product (if a vast majority like the same stuff as you) 

By tracking this data about you they can also not waste your time. Just imagine if you hate baby stuff and they were to spam it to your mail. You would be pissed off and tell them to stop. (But if they gave you computer related deals then you might be fine) 

The problem, for me anyway, is by the time I get said targeted advertising, it's not only from sites I've already visited, but products I've already looked at or purchased. So by the time I see it, it's data I already know or the data is useless because I've already made a decision on it. So you're wasting my time either way.

I mean, I get where you're coming from. It would be nice if end users of software would tell us software developers information about their system and how they use it so we can figure out why their system crashed for the billionth time rather than have us guess what happened and try to throw a bullseye while drunk, blindfolded, and halfway around the world.

2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

method question: would profiling a site or its community work? o_o

Oh hell yea it does. Linus indirectly does this. VPN sponsors has proven a lot of success to them out of the many other type of sponsors. If this method doesn't work effectively then sponsors wouldn't see a ROI from doing a sponsored deal with linus and would ultimately stop. 

Other youtubers are also following in his footsteps for choosing VPN sponsors.

Linus often does videos based on the views or likes from the community, so drop affiliate links and they get a spike in sales from similar items.

Websites asking your email is basically saying "We know you like the product, so give us a way for us to send you more ads on similar products" 

Data is very important for every business. Without this type of data they can't get far.