Help me I want to die (Ubuntu on Dell xps

Long story short I am trying to get Ubuntu desktop to run on a Dell XPS 9560 32GB ram 1TB nvme SSD gtx 1050. I boot of the USB with startup conditions nomodeset and pci=nomsi. This is the only way that Ubuntu will boot once installed on first start in GNU GRUB I use the same settings and it works but once I do a second restart after putting nomodeset and pci=nomsi it restarts and gets stuck. I have attached a photo below with everything. I have tried so many different thing and I want to die now.

15272354130993598023164226253812.jpg

15272355794347206412482200676297.jpg

You shouldn't need nomodeset for the GTX1050 under 18.04. It has native pascal support in the open source nouveau driver. So are you running 18.04 or an older version?

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

6 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

You shouldn't need nomodeset for the GTX1050 under 18.04. It has native pascal support in the open source nouveau driver. So are you running 18.04 or an older version?

18.04 without that it just freezes or crashes

8 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

I'm just confused and pissed I spent 15 hours today trying to make this work and I have gone insane

10 minutes ago, _Dr_Eye_ said:

I'm just confused and pissed I spent 15 hours today trying to make this work and I have gone insane

Try installing Ubuntu MATE, mainline Ubuntu seems to be quite buggy at the moment.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Try installing Ubuntu MATE, mainline Ubuntu seems to be quite buggy at the moment.

Ok I'll give that a whack thanks

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Ubuntu mate does not work 

14 minutes ago, _Dr_Eye_ said:

Ubuntu mate does not work 

same error?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What mode is the SSD set to?  RAID, IDE, or ACHI?

By what I can find from searching, these XPS tend to be default set to RAID.  If your XPS is set to that, switch it to ACHI.

Also, I say take a look at the boot options in BIOS.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

I have had this same issue with my PC, long story short both the Intel GPU and the Nvidia GPU where both enabled which prevented the GUI from loading.

After having removed the Nvidia driver and blacklisting nouveau I got my desktop to work.

Note that I deliberately disabled my Nvidia card in the OS because I wanted to use it for my Windows VM before somebody asks.

So Maybe this will give you a clue, I have had troubles with XPS machines and Ubuntu in the past which was mostly due to the Intel and Nvidia GPU banging heads.

8 hours ago, Ithanul said:

What mode is the SSD set to?  RAID, IDE, or ACHI?

By what I can find from searching, these XPS tend to be default set to RAID.  If your XPS is set to that, switch it to ACHI.

Also, I say take a look at the boot options in BIOS.

Allready set to ahci

9 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

are you booting in Legacy mode or UEFI? 

Uefi, legacy is broke

20 minutes ago, _Dr_Eye_ said:

Yep

Try 16.04 then, I've seen reports of that working on your laptop.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

34 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Try 16.04 then, I've seen reports of that working on your laptop.

I'll give that a try.

I tried 18.04 again and got a reliable working until I installed Nvidia drivers.

3 hours ago, _Dr_Eye_ said:

Uefi, legacy is broke

broke?

She/Her

50 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

broke?

Broke means Dickerd, fucked, etc

Flashes pink screen then turns off

Only get close to desktop in uefi mode.

Update got Linux mint working even after installing drivers but now mouse stops working after login. When I switch out of GUI I get a whole bunch of pcie errors. Plz help photo attached.

15273048495758041385994223291741.jpg

Thought I would throw this out there, have you tried Fedora, as it uses Weyland instead of x11.

To be honest regarding Nvidia drivers we compile our own at work as we've had alot of issues with the ones that Nvidia releases.

Can you turn off the Nvidia GPU in UEFI/Bios? and see if it works with just the iGPU?  Then try turning off the iGPU and use just the Nvidia?

Also are you able to get to atleast the CLI from one of the other terminals?

6 minutes ago, killergoalie said:

Thought I would throw this out there, have you tried Fedora, as it uses Weyland instead of x11.

To be honest regarding Nvidia drivers we compile our own at work as we've had alot of issues with the ones that Nvidia releases.

Can you turn off the Nvidia GPU in UEFI/Bios? and see if it works with just the iGPU?  Then try turning off the iGPU and use just the Nvidia?

Also are you able to get to atleast the CLI from one of the other terminals?

Can't disable gpus in UEFI I can get a command line in both GUI and no gui. If GUI is enabled than mouse and track pad both stop working. I prefer to use Debian flavours. Any reliable instructions for compling a good Nvidia driver I have done 0 work with nvidia gpus in linux till now and if I try to figure it out w/o instructions I will break everything.

13 minutes ago, _Dr_Eye_ said:

Can't disable gpus in UEFI I can get a command line in both GUI and no gui. If GUI is enabled than mouse and track pad both stop working. I prefer to use Debian flavours. Any reliable instructions for compling a good Nvidia driver I have done 0 work with nvidia gpus in linux till now and if I try to figure it out w/o instructions I will break everything.

Ok are you working on Mint or Ubuntu at this point so I can keep some things straight in my head?  Also welcome to the fun world of Linux on laptops ....