What got you into PC's

Today I decided to watch the video which got me into PC building and being an computer enthusiast I started to wonder what got you guys into PC's...

A friend told me that he built his PC himself and I was naturally intrigued. Went home, opened YouTube, found Linus.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I have a lot of down time at work.  I was playing minecraft and some Telltale games on my laptop, and then was pleasantly surprised to find I could play Fallout:New Vegas on my laptop.  I had also been playing the Witcher 3, Fallout 4, and Horizon Zero Dawn on my PS$ with a gamefly account.   I realized that for the long open world and RPG types of games I enjoy digital distribution would be cheaper in the long run.

I had always had an interest in computers at a young age, but the height of my knowledged was capped at replacing ram and dreaming about having a desktop with an i7.

My brother showed me MKBHD a long time ago. Youtube's recommended feed led me to LTT. That channel and this forum has basically fueled my interest in PCs.

been disassembling devices from a very young age (Receivers, Amplifiers, PC's, etc) and was just always curious to understand how these things work and i kept learning and learning, by trial and error and reading, i ruined so many PC parts when i was younger :D 

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

4 minutes ago, Sombra said:

dreaming about having a desktop with an i7.

I still dream about that. One day I'll get one, but for now I'll have to stick my 1600.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

i remember getting excited buying an FX 5200, oh that beautiful thing will always live in my heart, and later upgraded to the FX 5500 (not much of an upgrade really)

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

I have always liked to take stuff apart, I also like to build things, which stems from an interest in machines, and so naturally I developed an interest in cars, planes, spacecraft, and of course, computers. I eventually went more and more in the computer direction, I found Linus when I was looking at the building of custom desk PCs.

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

I always was interested in Pc´s since I was 4 and I played a lot of flash games back then and I played a lot and I mean a lot of Minecraft back then until my family pc broke. then I turned 10 and got a ps3 which was nice but I didn't have the most fun and the graphics were shitty and the games expensive so I decided to build a Pc out of used parts and used the videos from LTT and other YouTubers for Help.

and now I love the LTT videos and Pc´s

Shiny devices with flashy lights ruled over sci-fi fantasies during the years of my childhood. Later, these devices left me in awe as I slowly came to understand the physics behind its making and the impact electronics play in our life. On the other hand, I always admired and respected scientists as they practiced a near mystical profession in my eyes.

So when I started university, I was torn between two choices: electronics/ICT engineering or chemical engineering. Eventually, it ended up being that last one since it leaned more towards my admiration of fundamental science. However, electronics still remained my passion throughout my studies.

I’m happy that after the chemical engineering adventure, I’m able to study something that lets me play with powerful simulation computers so I can combine both my passions: computers and science/engineering.

18 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I still dream about that.

while it's not a desktop, I'm using the dual-core i7 in my laptop to cross that off my list 

been a fan of Starcraft and Ragnarok Online and they're both PC game. DMC4 came out on PS3, thought i'd buy the PS3 but found out a PC can play DMC4 too as well as lot of other games as long as they're not exclusive.  had a PS2 before, but once in college i couldn't bring the PS2 with me, until i found out about emulator. made me think, why get console when PC can play pretty much everything and more versatile and convenient (email, study, work, photoshop, game, movies). so i decided to just stay with PC

though i do want a PS4 now that all kingdom hearts game and god of war 4 are just too good to be miss....

This is more of my intro into tech as opposed to pc's itself, in 2004 my older brother wanted to put his original xbox into the badass clear case that was all the rage at the time, so I helped him with it, he pointed out all the different components and what did what as we tore it down and put it back together in the new case, I think learning about all that cool stuff got me into messing about with consoles, and then in 2015 I got my first PC, we never had a PC before that, I KNOW ?!?! my first PC and I designed it after watching a load of Austin evans vids and I only recently changed my graphics card to a gtx 1060, but until then I was still rocking my Athlon x4 760k and Radeon R7 260

My friends were building gaming pcs so now im saving up for one and I'm almost there. But I have watched so many videos and read so many articles I know more then them combined, and they have had their pc's for over 4 years each.

We had an Atari PC when I was really young (3-4 years old), I remember playing Gauntlet and Arkanoid on it (among other games) and having a blast. So my interest in computers was started early. What really got it going, though was my Father allowing me to help him build and fix the computers that he was working on as a hobby.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

My dad was an OG PC gamer. I remember him hosting a few LANs when i was a child.

I mostly learned about PC hardware from my dad.

2 years ago or so, i was no longer satisfied with the performance of my laptop GTX670MX and upgrading to a better mxm card is expensive, so i started researching (like i do with any big purchase) so i could make an informed buying decision. Thats when i discovered the tech tuber space and LTT. 

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

We got our first family computer back in 1996.  An IBM Aptiva with Windows 95.  The OS crapped out so many times I lost count how many times I had to reinstall Windows on that thing. Being forced to troubleshoot this thing, I guess it just went on from there, lol.  Next build was a Celeron with 3dfx Voodoo2, then a P4 etc.. etc..

Gaming & coding.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL RIPJAWS 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4-3200MHz CL16 | GPU: XFX 6700XT 12GB | Case: Deepcool Matrexx 70 | Storage: XPG Gammix Gen3x4 M.2 (NVMe) 256GB - ADATA SU 740 SSD 500GB - T-FORCE Vulcan 2.5" SSD 500GB - Mushkin Enhanced Source 2.5" 500GB SSD - Gigabyte Aorus 2TB NVMe Gen 4  | PSU: Enermax Triathlor Semi-Modular ECO 800w 80 PLUS Bronze | Display: MSI Optix MAG27OVC 144Hz | Cooling: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B | OS: Windows 11 Home | Steam Deck 

PC Peripherals: 

Mouse: G502 Hero & Razer Basilisk HyperSpeed Wireless | Keyboard: Ducky One Mini 65% | Mousepad: Techsource Topo Black | DAC: Schitt Fulla 2 & SYBA USB DAC | Headset: Alienware AW510H & Astro A40 TR | Speakers: Logitech Z323 

When I was young I was taking university classes for math and we ran mathematica on decstations running a flavor of Unix called ultrix.  Some grad students and professors showed me how to run muds which got me into programming and netrek which both gave me early pvp experiences which was great on the three bonded t1’s while all my mates were just barely getting experience with the internet through phone lines.  

Ever since I was chasing those gaming experiences at home building towers and getting better home internet as part of that process.  Don’t ever say gaming is useless :)

My dad gave me my moms old 486 when I was 11 or 12 and I just messed around on it brekaing things, installing games with floppies etc. I remember reading in a book that my model 486 was just at the limit of being incapable of playing MP3 files. So thats when I bought my first gaming computer and built it myself, I spent about $500 I saved up by the time I was like 13 and it was awesome. I can hardly remember now but I believe it had a socket 939 AMD sempron with a BFG Nvidia 6600 GT OC. 

kick ass

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

When I discovered and started using software that demanded better components, I started buying 2nd hand parts like an I7-3930K with Six(!) cores. That was still really something about 2 years ago. Nowadays I earn my living with 3D rendering and modeling and I can afford Threadripper systems and the like. Off course self built.

I think it's amazing how much you can achieve with a computer, and I feel like there's still so much to learn and accomplish.

I get more enthusiastic about computers everyday. So much that I wanna discuss or brag about my new system with my friends but they all think I'm becoming a nerd haha. Well, luckily I have all the forums and youtube clips to satisfy my needs....

In one word options. Options for hardware that could be used and options in terms of software that could run on said hardware including different operating systems as well such as the catalog of Linux distributions as well as OSX if your building a Hackintosh (if your that way inclined).

I had no interest and the most i had done computer wise up to a couple years ago was watch YouTube. 

Then i got into fpv quadcopters.

Had to learn how to program flight controllers etc.

Now have  a 3d printer also and do some basic 3d design.  But mostly getting a better computer system was for video editing my fpv footage.  The system i brought is a low-mid gaming desktop and has sparked some intrest with pc games instead of consoles. 

Planning to build my next desktop.