A good back-up external hard drive for Mac ?

Hi everyone,

I'm an art student doing mostly photography and I am currently looking for a good external hard drive to have a backup of all my work (no SSD as I won't be using this drive all the time), so what I am looking for is a reliable drive with at least 4To of storage. 

Knowing that I only work on macOS Sierra with one of these new Mac Book Pro 13", which product do you think will fit my needs the best ?

Thanks for your help !

3 minutes ago, Lenovo1984 said:

Do you already have a USB-C to USB-A adapter/dongle?

Yes I already have one.

Just now, Chromaa said:

Yes I already have one.

Then the drive @LukeSavenije posted should be fine. It's USB powered, so you don't need a power brick. You may have to format it when you get it for use with MacOS, but that shouldn't be a big deal at all. 

2 hours ago, Lenovo1984 said:

Then the drive @LukeSavenije posted should be fine. It's USB powered, so you don't need a power brick. You may have to format it when you get it for use with MacOS, but that shouldn't be a big deal at all. 

I have this model, its good! Format as ExFat, you can use seamlessly with win/OSX

Edit: If you don't need the portability get a desktop version for slightly more reliability. Would be stationary on your desk so no risk of being knocked around, dropping. etc. You also usually get more gigs per $.

Edited by DustonFoster
More info

Current Rig

Thermaltake Tempered Glass Chassis W/ 3 LED Fans
Side Mounted MSI GTX 1070 8GB Armour Edition
Gigabyte Gaming 7 Mobo
KabyLake i7 7700k
Thermaltake AIO Cooler - Dual RGB Fans
Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz
EVGA 750w PSU
500GB Samsung EVO M.2
750GB Crucial SSD
1TB WD HDD
Win 10 Pro

If you want to go big you can regularly find the WD Easy stores for $160 (about once a month). They're high quality drives and at $20 a Terabyte the price is awesome. It's USB 3.0 not 3.1 or thunder bolt but if you're only doing periodic back ups who cares, worst case scenario you can let it run overnight.

Can Inquire more about your backup plan? I assume you are simply trying to make a copy of all your fork onto an external drive while keeping a copy on your laptop?

6 minutes ago, MarcCz said:

If you want to go big you can regularly find the WD Easy stores for $160 (about once a month). They're high quality drives and at $20 a Terabyte the price is awesome. It's USB 3.0 not 3.1 or thunder bolt but if you're only doing periodic back ups who cares, worst case scenario you can let it run overnight.

Can Inquire more about your backup plan? I assume you are simply trying to make a copy of all your fork onto an external drive while keeping a copy on your laptop?

The WD easystore drives I've seen are USB 3.0.