Windows 10 1803 chaos? Black screen with taskbar - HALP!

Hi folks,

Working in a computer shop I'd like to say I'm fairly handy at sorting the little niggles Windows 10 throws when it has a wobbler - Today is a different story. 

Before 10am I had 2 laptops and 1 PC that all have the same issue after updating to Windows 10 1803 'April update' whereby the machine initially boots to the blue troubleshoot page after selecting the keyboard language, but either proceeds to boot into the dekstop but with a totally black screen, no icons, no background and seemingly no drivers since the network and audio both have the red X, or just continuously boots to the troubleshoot menu with no passage into the operating system at all. Nothing on the taskbar works, and none of the recovery options (startup repair, rollback, restore,boot to the other visible partitions) has any effect whatsoever.

Can someone please wave their magic wand and give me a CMD command or something that will save my day? Currently have 3 disgruntled people that don't want their data to be lost!

Both laptops are UEFI windows 8 upgrades, and the desktop is a Win 7 upgrade with a legacy BOIS, but they seem to have the same options on the troubleshoot screen. Probably makes no difference but may be useful to know.

Here's hoping *crosses fingers*

42 minutes ago, dewie93 said:

but either proceeds to boot into the dekstop but with a totally black screen, no icons, no background and seemingly no drivers since the network and audio both have the red X, or just continuously boots to the troubleshoot menu with no passage into the operating system at all. Nothing on the taskbar works, and none of the recovery options (startup repair, rollback, restore,boot to the other visible partitions) has any effect whatsoever.

This is strange, there was another post earlier today with what seems to be the exact same issue.

You may have some luck checking the comments there for a solution.

Seems to be a fairly prominent issue if you've experienced it on multiple devices and other users are reporting it as well.
Is there anything that ties all the devices together? Same OEM? Same motherboard manufacturer? etc? Some piece of hardware may be causing issues with the update.

Edit: Just saw that you already replied to the other thread. I'll still leave the link for it here as it may help others trying to find a solution for the problem.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

It's really strange. Both laptops are Acer, desktop is a custom build - Not really any similarities other than they are all Intel, 3rd Gen, 4th Gen and 5th Gen units, so its not the chipset.

Just doesn't seem like there are any ways around this - Just appears everything has totally self-destructed! 

1 hour ago, dewie93 said:

It's really strange. Both laptops are Acer, desktop is a custom build - Not really any similarities other than they are all Intel, 3rd Gen, 4th Gen and 5th Gen units, so its not the chipset.

Just doesn't seem like there are any ways around this - Just appears everything has totally self-destructed! 

I'm the guy who posted the same thing earlier...  But I have a question for you, do the computers use Avast(it's the only program that I found was updated recently in cmd)?

Just roll back to 1709.. I had to on my HTPC since 1803 always crashed my games that I play after 10-30 minutes. After reinstalling 1709,  since I was past the grace period to roll back, installed my apps and games and never had a single crash again.

23 hours ago, AirWolf230 said:

I'm the guy who posted the same thing earlier...  But I have a question for you, do the computers use Avast(it's the only program that I found was updated recently in cmd)?

I know one does for sure as I've dealt with the customer previously, but the other two are unknown. Going for a transfer of data to external drive, reinstall and copy back over for now. 

I'm working on a roundabout way to try and force it to run the upgrade again. Create a USB drive with the Windows media creation tool and follow these instructions.

Boot into the blank desktop

Insert your windows USB drive

CTRL+R, type CMD, hit enter.

Type E: into Command prompt (or whatever drive letter you expect the USB to take up, usually E: on laptops)

Type setup.exe and hit enter.

Follow the on screen instructions and see if it will 'upgrade' itself and put the files back where they should be! Worth a go at this point as the only other option is to reinstall

Andel, Rollback is not an option, it just fails immediately. 

15 minutes ago, dewie93 said:

I know one does for sure as I've dealt with the customer previously, but the other two are unknown. Going for a transfer of data to external drive, reinstall and copy back over for now. 

I'm working on a roundabout way to try and force it to run the upgrade again. Create a USB drive with the Windows media creation tool and follow these instructions.

Boot into the blank desktop

Insert your windows USB drive

CTRL+R, type CMD, hit enter.

Type E: into Command prompt (or whatever drive letter you expect the USB to take up, usually E: on laptops)

Type setup.exe and hit enter.

Follow the on screen instructions and see if it will 'upgrade' itself and put the files back where they should be! Worth a go at this point as the only other option is to reinstall

Andel, Rollback is not an option, it just fails immediately. 

I got annoyed and tried all the options... Non of them works. It just won't do anything I try(or it just ignores me)

This has been resolved for many people, including me when trying to rescue my better half's laptop (she needs it for teaching). 

I stumbled upon the fix and huge kudos to the posters.  It was here...

www,reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/815vim/the_latest_update_debacle_windows_10_1803_upgrade

Not sure if this will show up as a link but if not, copy and paste.

Cheers,

Batpuppy

Sorry, mistake in last webpage quote.  Don't forget the last slash with no spaces after the word "upgrade"...

This has been resolved for many people, including me when trying to rescue my better half's laptop (she needs it for teaching). 

I stumbled upon the fix and huge kudos to the posters.  It was here...

www,reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/815vim/the_latest_update_debacle_windows_10_1803_upgrade/

Not sure if this will show up as a link but if not, copy and paste.

Cheers,

Batpuppy