Trouble Installing Arch on VMWare

Go to solution Solved by BeepBoop.PC,
5 hours ago, BeepBoop.PC said:

Oh, okay. I'll be doing that then. Thanks!

Okay, I fixed it. Went into advanced settings to switch to UEFI when I made a new VM, couldn't find it, but I ended up switching the OS type to Other Linux 4.xx Kernel, rather than just Other. I worked like a charm and I just finished the long, long manual installation process! Thanks for the help guys!

I'm totally new to Linux, I've used Windows all my life, but I'm doing another very cool, watercooled build and I wanted to try my hand at it! I'm going for a minimalist install of Arch running i3-gaps and to be able to rice a nice desktop environment and learn some Python scripting. Aside from Raspbian, I've never touched Linux, and the installation process I see is gonna be a hassle, but not until I can actually boot into it!

The build won't be finished for a while, so I'm practicing on my laptop. I have VMWare Workstation 14, and I created a virtual machine off of the ISO file: archlinux-2018.05.01-x86_64

Am I using the wrong live image? Is it compatible with VMWare? When I first created it, it asked what OS I was using, and under Linux, there was no option for Arch, so I just put Other. Is that important?

When I try to boot, it runs some code, but stops shortly, displaying: Error: "(Whatever)" device did not show up after 30 seconds. Falling back to interactive prompt. sh: can't access tty.

If anyone knows what's going on and wants to let me know, I'd really appreciate it! Image is down below...

Arch-error.PNG

1 minute ago, BeepBoop.PC said:

I'm totally new to Linux,

might want to try a different distro first. look at antergros for arch with a nice installer.

try uefi boot in the vm

I wouldn't recommend Arch Linux for someone new to linux. Try looking around for a different distro with an environment that you like.

"What am I even meant to put here?" - Me 2016

1 minute ago, Reallifecat said:

I wouldn't recommend Arch Linux for someone new to linux. Try looking around for a different distro with an environment that you like.

If I'm running i3-gaps and personalizing everything myself, doesn't the environment not matter? I only picked Arch because I'm vaguely familiar with how it works based on Luke Smith content

29 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

might want to try a different distro first. look at antergros for arch with a nice installer.

try uefi boot in the vm

Is Antergros a sub-distro for Arch, like Parabola? Do you mean that I should look for a nice installer, or that Antergros has a nice installer?

Also, I'll try to figure out how to boot in UEFI, thanks!

5 minutes ago, BeepBoop.PC said:

Is Antergros a sub-distro for Arch, like Parabola? Do you mean that I should look for a nice installer, or that Antergros has a nice installer?

Also, I'll try to figure out how to boot in UEFI, thanks!

antergros is arch with a gui installer. Id give it a try. Or use debian and lean linux first.

Uefi boot is normally chosen when making the vm

16 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

antergros is arch with a gui installer. Id give it a try. Or use debian and lean linux first.

Uefi boot is normally chosen when making the vm

on a bare metal installation that usually means that the live usb was not created properly. the iso could be damaged, try to redownload the iso and use the md5 hash to make sure it was downloaded completely.  

5 hours ago, BeepBoop.PC said:

Okay, I fixed it. Went into advanced settings to switch to UEFI when I made a new VM, couldn't find it, but I ended up switching the OS type to Other Linux 4.xx Kernel, rather than just Other. I worked like a charm and I just finished the long, long manual installation process! Thanks for the help guys!

3 hours ago, Fleetscut said:

on a bare metal installation that usually means that the live usb was not created properly. the iso could be damaged, try to redownload the iso and use the md5 hash to make sure it was downloaded completely.  

Oh, I haven't finished the PC yet, I'm just practicing on a VM on my laptop. I have it on a USB, but the VM is using the iso file directly off my library. I'll be looking up what an md5 hash is though.