Console vs PC

Ques2.0
Message added by Crunchy Dragon

Keep this civil.

Since GPU prices are expensive at this time would it be a good idea to consider console gaming

Well the problem with that is that with a console you have to pay 2 times for online, and also games are much more expensive, so will you actually save?

For example with pc you can play online games for free, when with consoles you have to pay the expensive microsoft gold and sony whatever subscriptions. Also no steam summersale/ humble bundle, only retail price games.

Just now, Some Random Member said:

Well the problem with that is that with a console you have to pay 2 times for online, and also games are much more expensive, so will you actually save?

For example with pc you can play online games for free, when with consoles you have to pay the expensive microsoft gold and sony whatever subscriptions. Also no steam summersale/ humble bundle, only retail price games.

That's a fallacy, I have all three consoles and pay nothing in online services, still play online as well. Free to play games require no online subscription. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

True. At least with a lot of Xbox One titles, they'll let you play it on your PC too. That's good IMO.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

Just now, App4that said:

That's a fallacy, I have all three consoles and pay nothing in online services, still play online as well. Free to play games require no online subscription. 

Interesting, i was under the impression that you needed the microsoft gold and sony whatever to play games like gta online, is it finally over?

But the console game prices are still bad. I can get gta 5 from steam for 29, but if i wanted it for console i would still need to pay 60.

4 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

i have owned an xbox one and ps4 i sold both of them a year in a half ago, i built my computer april of 2017 budget i3-6100 8gb ddr4 2400, 430w psu evga, a gt 740m which was giving to me for free by a classmate. I would think i should stick with trying to bite the bullet and spend money on a good gpu be i just graduated from college last week my major is information systems technology since i do love pc hardware and things of that nature im really trying to stay in pc gaming and i know my build sucks

1 minute ago, Some Random Member said:

Interesting, i was under the impression that you needed the microsoft gold and sony whatever to play games like gta online, is it finally over?

But the console game prices are still bad. I can get gta 5 from steam for 29, but if i wanted it for console i would still need to pay 60.

I personally only play FIFA online, and my playstation prompts me to resub to PSPlus if I've let it lapse. If I don't...no online play. (I only play Pro Clubs with some friends).

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

Just now, Ques2.0 said:

i have owned an xbox one and ps4 i sold both of them a year in a half ago, i built my computer april of 2017 budget i3-6100 8gb ddr4 2400, 430w psu evga, a gt 740m which was giving to me for free by a classmate. I would think i should stick with trying to bite the bullet and spend money on a good gpu be i just graduated from college last week my major is information systems technology since i do love pc hardware and things of that nature im really trying to stay in pc gaming and i know my build sucks

How do you have a gt 740m in a pc, it's a laptop gpu?

also my isp internet plan at home is 3 megabits per second download and .30 megabits per second upload. Its a huge drag trying to download pc games from steam and origin that are 50+ gigabytes in size. In my area thats all i can get

10 hours ago, Some Random Member said:

How do you have a gt 740m in a pc, it's a laptop gpu?

not the m sorry but the EVGA 2GB GT 740

GTA V has been on sale for 30 bucks multiple times in the different marketplaces.

Even if all you did was play GTA V, the savings of a console verses a PC is far greater than an online subscription that includes games. 

10 hours ago, Ques2.0 said:

not the m sorry but the EVGA 2GB GT 740

Ok, then there is no need for you to get a console, as the rest of your computer is pretty decent. Just buy a better gpu, maybe even an used one, and you are all set.

10 hours ago, App4that said:

the savings of a console verses a PC is far greater than an online subscription that includes games. 

Well in the OP's case that is not excactly true, as he has a i3 6100 and 8gb of ram (so a decent computer), all he needs is a gpu, so for the same money that he could buy a console he could buy a powerful gpu, and have a better gaming experience than on console.

3 minutes ago, Some Random Member said:

Ok, then there is no need for you to get a console, as the rest of your computer is pretty decent. Just buy a better gpu, maybe even an used one, and you are all set.

would the gtx 1050 2GB or the rx 560 be a good choice

1 minute ago, Ques2.0 said:

would the gtx 1050 2GB or the rx 560 be a good choice

I would get a rx 570 or a 1050ti, for a very good experience, if you can.

The consoles are five year old hardware; it's not hard to beat them for performance for similar-ish money, especially if you can just upgrade something you already have.  (GPU prices have only gone crazy for the expensive stuff, those aren't needed most of the time.)

Well in the OP's case that is not excactly true, as he has a i3 6100 and 8gb of ram (so a decent computer), all he needs is a gpu, so for the same money that he could buy a console he could buy a powerful gpu, and have a better gaming experience than on console.

With a 6th gen i3? So 1060 at the most. 

Choice is the OPs, console would offer the better value though.

9 hours ago, Blasteque said:

The consoles are five year old hardware; it's not hard to beat them for performance for similar-ish money, especially if you can just upgrade something you already have.  (GPU prices have only gone crazy for the expensive stuff, those aren't needed most of the time.)

i only have a budget of $150 for  a gpu

9 hours ago, App4that said:

With a 6th gen i3? So 1060 at the most. 

Choice is the OPs, console would offer the better value though.

i cant afford a 1060 

2 minutes ago, Blasteque said:

List a build for 500 dollars using new parts that even matches a Xbox One X.

Let's see it.

Just now, Ques2.0 said:

You can get a console for 150?

Or can you spend more when you would get a console?

9 minutes ago, Ques2.0 said:

also my isp internet plan at home is 3 megabits per second download and .30 megabits per second upload. Its a huge drag trying to download pc games from steam and origin that are 50+ gigabytes in size. In my area thats all i can get

You can still get all pc games on disc if the download takes too long.

Desktop

CPUi5-6600K MotherboardGigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P CPU Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 120M Black/white RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Gigabyte 1070 HDDs: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM  SSDSamsung EVO 850 500GB PSU: Coolermaster 550W 80+ Gold Case: NZXT S340 (White) with a white led strip ;)

Laptops

Dell 7577

CPUi7 7700HQ RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: GTX1060 Max-q HDD: 1TB 5400 RPM  SSDNVMe 512GB SCREEN: 4k IPS 15.6"

Macbook pro 2018

CPUi7 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Radeon Pro 555X 4GB Storage256GB SCREEN: 15"

You can get a console for 150?

Or can you spend more when you would get a console?

budget for a graphics card is $150

1 minute ago, Ques2.0 said:

I mean you seem to be suffering from really low funds, I'd just buy a second hand xbox360 since games for those are cheap as fuck nowadays.

I mean if you want single player experience if you want to go online then yeah... stick to the PC plan but it's a shame you'll have to cut so many corners.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, App4that said:

List a build for 500 dollars using new parts that even matches a Xbox One X.

Let's see it.

I agree on the xbox 1 x . That is pretty good value, as it has the rx 480 in it, can't beat that. But the OP is on a tight budget, so he can't get that.

So in his case it would be more logical to get a good gpu, instead of paying for a console.