im new to coding...

Lilninjsways

Hey im new to coding and learning off of code academy but what would i use on windows 10 to code freely?

MY MAIN BUILD AT FATHERS HOUSE!

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor CPU COOLER:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard

RAM: 32gb ddr3

Hard Drive:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Graphics Card:  MSI Radeon RX 470 DirectX 12 Radeon RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case: Rosewill TYRFING ATX Mid Tower Case

Network Adapter:  TP-Link TL-WN781ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

Case Fans:  Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (PLUS THE STOCK CASE FAN)

Monitor:  Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor

Keyboard:  Thermaltake CHALLENGER PRIME Wired Gaming Keyboard

Mouse:  MSI Interceptor DS B1 Wired Optical Mouse

Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers

what languages do you want to learn/use? different languages require different programs.

"Aeneas troianus est."

I'm allergic to social interaction in real life, don't talk to me in real life please.

don't forget to quote or tag (@marten.aap2.0) me when you reply!

21 minutes ago, marten.aap2.0 said:

what languages do you want to learn/use? different languages require different programs.

python and html

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor CPU COOLER:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Graphics Card:  MSI Radeon RX 470 DirectX 12 Radeon RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case Fans:  Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (PLUS THE STOCK CASE FAN)

Just now, Lilninjsways said:

python and html

for html (and CSS, JS and PHP) I'd recommend notepad++ or MS visual studio.

python is also possible in MS visual studio, but I don't have any experience with that, I have only used my raspberry pi for python.

"Aeneas troianus est."

I'm allergic to social interaction in real life, don't talk to me in real life please.

1 minute ago, marten.aap2.0 said:

python is also possible in MS visual studio, but I don't have any experience with that, I have only used my raspberry pi for python.

okay thx!

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, Lilninjsways said:

python and html

I would suggest that you grab the PyCharm IDE by JetBrains for Python. You can grab the free community version from https://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/download.

As for HTML/CSS, you should go with Notepad++.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

k thx

Spoiler

You need pycharm man. Don’t get anything less. Pycharm ide will literally autocomplete and type 75% of the code for you.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 hours ago, marten.aap2.0 said:

visual studio code for all of them, though pyCharm is extremely good for python development.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

My editor of choice is Atom all the way with a few language specific additions. 

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

Man, I think that you need first of all understand the fundamentals of programming, whats is a variable, constants, if statement, Loop,  Arrays or collections...  just for start.

When you understand how this works, you will be able to write any programming language that you wish.

On 14.5.2018 at 1:41 PM, marten.aap2.0 said:

different languages require different programs.

This is an entirely false perception. There is no reason to not use your go-to editor (whichever it is) for any language - it's all text.

I can recommend @Lilninjsways to stay away from Electron-based editors like Atom and VS Code though. Electron is inherently broken. I, personally, use different editors on different operating systems, so I would not want to recommend one certain editor. If you want a list anyway:

• Sublime Text (commercial, but mostly written and extended in Python, plus: very easy and powerful).
  • GNU Emacs (free, multi-platform, could use the usual Ctrl+S, Ctrl+X, Ctrl+C shortcuts if configured, world's best auto-indentation).
  • Notepad++ (Notepadqq on inferior operating systems) (a reasonably "better" Notepad with syntax highlighting, but - in my experience - rather unstable).

At least Sublime Text and GNU Emacs support running Python right from inside the editor, so you can "live-test" your code on the fly. The latter even has syntax checkers for a number of languages.

Write in C.

22 hours ago, Dat Guy said:
On 5/14/2018 at 1:41 PM, marten.aap2.0 said:

different languages require different programs.

This is an entirely false perception. There is no reason to not use your go-to editor (whichever it is) for any language - it's all text.

I know you can just use notepad++ and editors like that for all languages, but if you want to make your life a lot easier, you should look into IDEs designed for specific languages. eg, you can just write PHP code in NPP, but PHPStorm actually 'understands' your code and almost writes it for you. So PHPStorm would be a lot easier and more time efficient.

"Aeneas troianus est."

A good IDE supports all languages alike.

Write in C.

4 hours ago, Dat Guy said:

A good IDE supports all languages alike.

That doesn't mean all IDEs are created equal for all languages. Yes code is just text, but the framework around that text isn't always the same. For example, intermediate debugging (compiling and executing code while current execution is paused) is a really handy feature at times and not all IDEs have that ability or have maintained plugins to add that feature. I don't believe it's possible to add that in notepad++, for example (though I could be wrong).

Gaming build:

CPU: i7-7700k (5.0ghz, 1.312v)

GPU(s): Asus Strix 1080ti OC (~2063mhz)

Memory: 32GB (4x8) DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz

Motherboard: Asus Prime z270-AR

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Cooler: Custom water loop (420mm rad + 360mm rad)

Case: Be quiet! Dark base pro 900 (silver)
Primary storage: Samsung 960 evo m.2 SSD (500gb)

Secondary storage: Samsung 850 evo SSD (250gb)

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700x

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB

Motherboard: Asrock B350 m4 pro

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Storage: 2TB WD Red x1, 128gb OCZ SSD for OS

Case: HAF 932 adv

The Acme IDE calls whatever command you want it to, for example. 

Write in C.

Python is free and can make Windows applications.  Go is free...

Free Pascal  is free and can create Windows applications ... it's like Delphi but Delphi is kinda fallen out of fashion these days.

There's also Visual Studio Express / free versions from Microsoft,  with VB .net and C# and other languages free under some conditions/limitations.

You can write your code in various editors... i prefer these days Notepad++ , but there's Notepad, Ultraedit, and IDEs that come with the programming language... the source code is just text, in some cases with some special formatting (like in case of Python for example)

2 hours ago, mariushm said:

Python is free and can make Windows applications. 

You can not make Windows applications with Python, except you use a third-party .exe wrapper.

2 hours ago, mariushm said:

it's like Delphi but Delphi is kinda fallen out of fashion these days.

That is not a valid reason to stop using it if it is the best tool for the job.

Write in C.

On 5/16/2018 at 7:28 AM, Cruorzy said:

You can use anything.

I was going to combat this with "But Notepad ++ has the Open with Firefox/chrome/explorer" feature in the dropdown menu. 
But then I realized if you have normal notepad and file explorer open you can just double click the file. 
Or just notepad & the browser & refresh the browser anytime you want to see the page updated. 
If only I liked HTML.... As for python, good luck. I still have no idea how to get a program to run with that. I got Ruby to work with a detailed guide so I imagine it to be similar. 

6 hours ago, fpo said:

As for python, good luck. I still have no idea how to get a program to run with that. I got Ruby to work with a detailed guide so I imagine it to be similar. 

python location/to/script.py

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´