Need help with thermal throttling laptop

I have an Acer Aspire V Nitro and I hate it. I guess I got what I paid for because it won't stop thermal throttling and gets up to about 90C really quickly. I can't change anything in the BIOS and as far as I can tell, I can't access the fans through utilities. Is there any way I can make this work? I am trying to play FPS games so frame drops are unacceptable. I would like to not need a fan base because I want to still be portable.

Here is what I have: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315299
The only thing I changed is to a 500GB SSD.

PS: Don't buy an Acer laptop, there are a ton of other hardware issues I have with this.

Replace the thermal paste and clean the dust from your heatsinks. Also, are you using this on a flat hard surface, or on your lap or something? You might also want to try propping up the back of your laptop with something as this usually can help to facilitate airflow under your laptop.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Everything is mostly clean, I never use it on carpet. I tried propping it up and it doesn't help at all. The main issue I think is I don't know how to make it not go full power then overheat itself, I'd rather it go at like 90% and not get as hot. I'll look into replacing the thermal paste, I still have some arctic silver.

13 minutes ago, Phantom329 said:

PS: Don't buy an Acer laptop, there are a ton of other hardware issues I have with this.

i never owned an acer laptop - but i had a few for repair and upgrade.

and they have been easy to open and work in compared to other brands

8 minutes ago, Phantom329 said:

I have an Acer Aspire V Nitro and I hate it. I guess I got what I paid for because it won't stop thermal throttling and gets up to about 90C really quickly. I can't change anything in the BIOS and as far as I can tell, I can't access the fans through utilities. Is there any way I can make this work? I am trying to play FPS games so frame drops are unacceptable. I would like to not need a fan base because I want to still be portable.

Here is what I have: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315299
The only thing I changed is to a 500GB SSD.

As @Theguywhobea stated, replacing the thermal compound is a good start. Using applications like XTU, you should still be able to apply a negative voltage offset. I know my 7700HQ in my Clevo P650 handles a -125mv offset, and thermals have dropped significantly when applying such an undervolt, by around 13C from the undervolt alone. You can also limit the GPU clock speed of your 960m using an application like MSI Afterburner to reduce GPU heat.

You might also be able to find a replacement bottom panel online to mod with a dremel and some speaker mesh for better airflow. I know plenty of people that modded their MSI laptops by buying replacement panels for $10-$20, then improving upon the air intake by replacing the hard plastic with breathable speaker mesh: https://www.amazon.com/CNSZNAT-Speaker-Cover-Round-Steel/dp/B077GQR311/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1525985858&sr=1-10&keywords=speaker+mesh

It's easy to cut a perfect diameter and insert with hot glue. It's a little extreme, but it can turn a terrible intake design into an acceptable one. 

Lastly, you can limit your framerates in games to prevent your CPU and GPU from overworking themselves. Seeing as the panel is only 60hz, there is no point rendering beyond that 60hz unless you are having issues with input lag. If that is the case, turn on Nvidia's fast sync in the NVCP, and limit framerate to something like 90fps. That should alleviate some of the input lag, without letting the GPU render far beyond what is needed for that panel. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

I've been watching some videos on replacing the thermal paste and didn't realize how big of a difference it makes. I think I'll start by replacing it with liquid metal and tune with utilities after. Thanks for the input everyone!

38 minutes ago, Phantom329 said:

I've been watching some videos on replacing the thermal paste and didn't realize how big of a difference it makes. I think I'll start by replacing it with liquid metal and tune with utilities after. Thanks for the input everyone!

Probably don't go with Liquid Metal if this is your first time taking apart a laptop to replace the thermal compound. Go with something like IC Diamond or Kryonaut, LM can easily screw up your computer if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

1 hour ago, Phantom329 said:

I think using liquid metal for laptop is overkill and a bad idea. There is a high risk of shorting something, especially laptop with a bare pcb. Just use a high-end thermal paste like thermal grizzly, gelid, or noctua. But if you insist, protect the cpu's surrounding with nail polish or thin electrical tape.

CPU i5 6600K (4.4GHz @1.25V) | GPU MSI GTX 1060 6GB Gaming X (2126/4504) | RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 2666MHz (3000MHz) | BOARD MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon | SSD Samsung 850 evo 250GB | HDD 2 Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU Corsair CX750M | CASE Corsair Spec-Alpha | COOLING Deepcool Captain 240EX RGB |

Go liquid metal all the way for best results. If you follow Linus or Gamer Nexus guide then you should be ok, just be very very careful and tape or cover parts around CPU when applying.

V Nitro needs repaste. Acer has bad thermal paste job. Also undervolting.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128