Thinking about upgrading to lga 1366

1 minute ago, CyberTater said:

I only have DDR2 ram

Yikes, see if you have any ddr3 lying around if not you would have to buy some, I have seen some good ram deals local so check apps like offer up, let go, Craigslist or Facebook market

15 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

For the same reason you would buy new hardware: you get something that gives you enough performance and a good price to performance ratio.

You may be better served by either new or old hardware, depending on what you want to achieve and what your market looks like.

True and I didn't know this Xeon has aged this well. A decade (almost) is just a little too old for me I guess :P 

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

14 minutes ago, CyberTater said:

My dad works in IT so i might be able to check and see if he has any x58 xeons and server motherboards.

If you can get stuff for next to free that'd be better.

Otherwise I'd highly suggest saving yourself time and potential headaches and just going with the R3 2200G

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

@CyberTater

If you're in the USA, you can get used Sandy Bridge i5 prebuilts for under $100 shipped to your house on Ebay that includes RAM.

I'd consider it a big upgrade over the your old CPU.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

6 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

If you can get stuff for next to free that'd be better.

Otherwise I'd highly suggest saving yourself time and potential headaches and just going with the R3 2200G

Depends on what he uses it for though the 2200g provides very poor performance in some games without the ideal ram, while you can get VERY cheap ddr3 and just pair it with a sub 200$ motherboard and cpu combo and get sky lake levels of performance for a fraction of the price.

1 minute ago, BarackOBatman said:

@CyberTater

If you're in the USA, you can get used Sandy Bridge i5 prebuilts for under $100 shipped to your house on Ebay that includes RAM.

Where do I find one of these? can you send me a link?

3 minutes ago, BarackOBatman said:

@CyberTater

REALLY? There is no way, they must have been on sale or something.

Just now, Sergifq said:

REALLY? There is no way, they must have been on sale or something.

That's what I was thinking

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

7 minutes ago, CyberTater said:

I prefer to have overclocking support and a non proprietary motherboard

Oh.

if you want those sorts of features, then PCs like the ones i suggested arent for you, they all use proprietary boards and no OC support.

To answer your previous question, you have to hunt around for the deals, but they're out there.

Here's an i5-2400 + 4GB RAM Lenovo Pre built i got for $45 plus shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/382445617677

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

3 hours ago, CyberTater said:

I prefer to have overclocking support and a non proprietary motherboard

Just to chime in, why is this that important to you?

What BarackOBatman suggested to you is possibly the best option on your budget, and you live somewhere where those kind of systems go in wholesales all the time - you may be able to do even cheaper. 

If you can find a xeon motherboard, that's great, but seriously don't overvalue features on platforms that old.  You're still gonna end up spending more on cooling and a PSU for the kind of build you might be thinking of.

42 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

What BarackOBatman suggested to you is possibly the best option on your budget, and you live somewhere where those kind of systems go in wholesales all the time - you may be able to do even cheaper. 

Right ?!

With the OP's Budget ($200 US) You could legitimately buy a decent gaming PC.

;) such as this one I'm currently working on. (i5-2400, GTX770, 2TB WD Blue, 12GB RAM) for $250 

i7 2600 Dell Optiplex 790 with 1T HDD and 8gb ram for $200 shipped WITH W7 key. Look around on eBay and get the mini tower, not SFF.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430