few questions about 3D movies

sample text

hello,how can I know if my monitor supports 3D?(3D glasses like in the cinemas).

what are the requirements for such thing?what type monitor or GPU do I need?does GTX 1060 support that?

I'm pretty sure anything supports 3D as long as the video itself is 3D(in this context).

You should be good to go.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'm pretty sure anything supports 3D as long as the video itself is 3D(in this context).

okay.I'm asking,because I bought https://www3.lenovo.com/au/en/deals/fast-delivery/accessories/L24q-10-23-8inch-QHD-MonitorHDMI%2BDP/p/65CFGAC3AU today and I'm so impressed.It's really nice monitor.This week I'm purchasing GTX 1060 and I just wondered if both products are enough for 3D movies with glasses,but thanks for your answer.

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

No, it needs to have a high refresh rate and special polarizers 

Just now, wirs said:

How high of a refresh rate?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

It depends on your glasses. Anaglyph (red and blue) glasses are supported by anything. On the other hand, to use Nvidia active shutter glasses, you need special 3d vertified monitors (120 or higher hz). Also the cinema glasses don't work on normal displays, for logical reasons.

2 minutes ago, wirs said:

can you give me an example with a monitor which supports 3D?

2 minutes ago, sample text said:

can you give me an example with a monitor which supports 3D?

The first one i found on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-GN246HL-Bbid-24-Inch-Display/dp/B00KO4518I/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1525714196&sr=8-7&keywords=3d+display

But as i said, you need the Nvidia 3d supported monitor only if you plan to use Nvidia active shutter glasses.

https://www.amazon.com/Nvidia-942-11431-0007-001-Vision2-Wireless-Glasses/dp/B005XULTG6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1525714282&sr=8-3&keywords=nvidia+3d

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

How high of a refresh rate?

3D monitors are usually around 120Hz

Just now, Some Random Member said:

It depends on your glasses. Anaglyph (red and blue) glasses are supported by anything. On the other hand, to use Nvidia active shutter glasses, you need special 3d vertified monitors. Also the cinema glasses also don't work on normal displays, for logical reasons.

Well there are some monitors that can take use of cinema glasses but as I said in my previous reply, they need 2 different polarizers that polarize the light in 2 different directions for the glasses to create the 3d illusion

6 minutes ago, sample text said:

okay.I'm asking,because I bought https://www3.lenovo.com/au/en/deals/fast-delivery/accessories/L24q-10-23-8inch-QHD-MonitorHDMI%2BDP/p/65CFGAC3AU today and I'm so impressed.It's really nice monitor.This week I'm purchasing GTX 1060 and I just wondered if both products are enough for 3D movies with glasses,but thanks for your answer.

The only 3D you can do with that monitor is anaglyph (i.e. the red/cyan glasses).

I haven't seen any 3D Vision supporting monitors lately. The Asus VG248QE (old) and MG248Q (more recent) are two that I know of.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Just now, tikker said:

The only 3D you can do with that monitor is anaglyph (i.e. the red/cyan glasses).

I haven't seen any 3D Vision supporting monitors lately. The Asus VG248QE (old) and MG248Q (more recent) are two that I know of.

Yeah 3D tanked hard and is slowly dying

6 minutes ago, wirs said:

Yeah 3D tanked hard and is slowly dying

btw as you know we can watch 1080p movies with 1280x1024 displays and bad GPU like me at the moment.I was using 1280x1024 and I watched 1080p x265 movies.I was using

k lite codec pack.But can I watch 4k movies with a 1440p monitor and gtx 1060?(offtopic)

1 minute ago, sample text said:

btw as you know we can watch 1080p movies with 1280x1024 displays and bad GPU like me at the moment.I was using 1280x1024 and I watched 1080p x265 movies.I was using

k lite codec pack.But can I watch 4k movies with a 1440p monitor and gtx 1060?(offtopic)

yes,

Obviously you screen won't take full advantage of the 4k movie as it can only show as much resolution as the monitor will allow.  

1 minute ago, sample text said:

Yes you can basically watch every standard content in any resolution you want. You just won't be able to make use of the extra resolution and this has nothing to do with codecs. The piece of hardware that can limit you is the computer itself but yours should be able to handle 4k content with ease 

23 minutes ago, sample text said:

hello,how can I know if my monitor supports 3D?(3D glasses like in the cinemas).

what are the requirements for such thing?what type monitor or GPU do I need?does GTX 1060 support that?

I think VR devices can also do 3D video. It does depend on the type of 3D your talking about. 

3 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

I think VR devices can also do 3D video. It does depend on the type of 3D your talking about. 

I was talking about the 3D movies like in the cinemas(the movies which require 3D glasses).I was about to download 40GB Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 3D,but it's useless

4 minutes ago, sample text said:

I was talking about the 3D movies like in the cinemas(the movies which require 3D glasses).I was about to download 40GB Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 3D,but it's useless

I'm just assuming you bought the digital file, as piracy is against the forum rules. Keep that in mind when posting things like this

5 minutes ago, wirs said:

I'm just assuming you bought the digital file as piracy is against the forum rules. Keep that in mind when posting things like this

oh,big thanks about that.I will know what to say in the future :D