Ryzen 2700x x470: Can overclocking help streaming?

Would overclocking my 2700X improve the quality of my stream?

I'm new to overclocking and I can't seem to find stable settings that net any worthwhile improvements 

I currently have default BIOS settings... aside from D.O.C.P (auto detected and applied memory speed and timings)

System

• CPU : Ryzen 7 2700X
  • CPU-Cooler : Wraith Prism 
  • Motherboard : ROG STRIX x470-F GAMING
  • RAM : DDR4 16GB 3200 16-18-18-38  (Set to D.O.C.P in bios)
  • GPU : ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING
  • Case : Fractal Design Meshify C - Dark TG 
  • Fan Layout : 2x120mm front , 1x120mm back , 1x140mm top

Current OBS settings

(No dropped frames)

• Base (Canvas) Resoluition: 1920x1080 
  • Output (Scaled) Resolution: 1600x900
  • 60fps  
  • Encoder: Software (x264) 
  • Rate Control: CBR
  • Bitrate: 6000
  • Keyframe Interval : 2
  • CPU Usage Preset : slow
  • Profile: high

(1080p60 works on medium; however I find 1080 looks sloppy at 6k bitrate for high motion games at medium preset, and my webcam starts to look a bit blurry.)  

I haven't been able to find any overclocking guides for the ROG STRIX x470-F GAMING, Its bios is different from the hero, and the names for settings is different from Gigabytes bios.

If anyone has any experience, guides or tips for the ROG STRIX x470-F GAMING bios that would be sweet!

Just now, GamerVoice said:

Would overclocking my 2700X improve the quality of my stream?

Not really

But you should get a better heatsink anyway, that might improve your performance a bit due to the way the Boost works.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Not really

But you should get a better heatsink anyway, that might improve your performance a bit due to the way the Boost works.

I have a spare Corsair H60 AIO from my previous system; I'd just need some new thermal paste for it... 

Do you think it would help much?

h60.jpg

1 minute ago, GamerVoice said:

Do you think it would help much?

Worth a try but you need a new Mounting for that because AM4 has different holes.

And it seems like ASUS did a new layout for the 470 Boards so that you can't use the AM2 mounting set.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Worth a try but you need a new Mounting for that because AM4 has different holes.

And it seems like ASUS did a new layout for the 470 Boards so that you can't use the AM2 mounting set.

The H60 has clip mounting compatibility for AM4 according to this... 
https://overclock3d.net/news/cases_cooling/corsair_releases_socket_am4_compatibility_info/1

2 minutes ago, GamerVoice said:

The H60 has clip mounting compatibility for AM4 according to this... 
https://overclock3d.net/news/cases_cooling/corsair_releases_socket_am4_compatibility_info/1

you may need a new mounting bracket if your old H60 didn't come with the AM4 bracket.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Overclocking on the 2700x has very little value if you have adequate cooling. You might gain some performance, but its minimal. Precission boost 2 handles the core clocks really well

You don't want to worry about OC'ing the CPU. There just really isn't enough headroom to worry about that. The SenseMI does a very good job of that.

The two places you could find some improvements: getting those timings a lot tighter & Process Lasso (or similar program) to keep OBS pinned to specific cores/limit cross CCX traffic.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/page-80#post-39412799 for links to the programs to play with Memory timings. Even if you drop down to 2933 to get the low latency timings, you're still likely to see the biggest benefit. For a gaming workload, low latency timings would be worth more than a 5 Ghz OC (which isn't possible without exotic cooling).

What Taf said. Within a generation or two of CPUs/GPUs outside of exotic cooling you're no longer going to see major benefits from overclocking.

On 5/7/2018 at 5:38 AM, Taf the Ghost said:

You don't want to worry about OC'ing the CPU. There just really isn't enough headroom to worry about that. The SenseMI does a very good job of that.

The two places you could find some improvements: getting those timings a lot tighter & Process Lasso (or similar program) to keep OBS pinned to specific cores/limit cross CCX traffic.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/page-80#post-39412799 for links to the programs to play with Memory timings. Even if you drop down to 2933 to get the low latency timings, you're still likely to see the biggest benefit. For a gaming workload, low latency timings would be worth more than a 5 Ghz OC (which isn't possible without exotic cooling).

That Process Lasso idea has peaked my interest, I'll look into that FOR SURE!
Can you refer me to any guides on how to effectively use a program like process lasso with streaming in mind?
I've seen people use task manager to limit cores and adjust affinity/priority...but process lasso seems more tailored to the task. 

29 minutes ago, GamerVoice said:

That Process Lasso idea has peaked my interest, I'll look into that FOR SURE!
Can you refer me to any guides on how to effectively use a program like process lasso with streaming in mind?
I've seen people use task manager to limit cores and adjust affinity/priority...but process lasso seems more tailored to the task. 

It's the same thing, just more advanced. For streaming, you'll need to sort things out with some searching & testing. Generally, though, on an 8c Ryzen part, you'd want to dedicate the Encoding to 2c/4t on the same CCX, and lock the game into 4c/8t on the other CCX. 

The issue for Ryzen isn't the design nature, but the way Window's Scheduler moves things around. What you really don't want in a "low latency is valuable" situation is adding more latency. When Ryzen cores connect to core in the other CCX, there's a latency penalty compared to a core within the same CCX. Given Steve at Hardware Unboxed's recent testing, it pretty much only matters for gaming. Obviously, when streaming & gaming, there's even further effect.

The other benefit to something like Process Lasso is you can min/max your streaming/encoding settings. If you have a budget of exactly 2 cores at 100%, you can find what works best without effecting the rest of the system as much.