Ryzen 2600 - Motherboard Recommendation Required

Go to solution Solved by nithin1992,
7 hours ago, dave_k said:

ye, the krait will suffice, although X470 Gaming Plus would be better

Thanks for the response. The X470 are also priced pretty high and are not really an option. Although I thought the MSI X470 Gaming Plus and the X370 Krait had the same VRM, is it not?

I’m  going for the Krait in the next hour or two, unless someone says otherwise. 

Hey, need help in figuring out which of these boards [or others] to get, for context I have already bought a Ryzen 2600[$217] and RAM [ignore QVL] etc.

Buying this in India, ideally, I'd like to spend ~$150, but can be extended if it's justified.

Here are my choices currently,

Asus Prime B350 Plus - $135

MSI X370 Krait Gaming - $143

Asus Prime X370 Pro - $190

-UPDATED PRICES

I'm aware that the X370 Pro has the best VRM, audio but I'm not sure if buying a board that costs almost the same price as of my CPU is justified.

Kindly provide your valuable inputs and also feel free to ask me any other details and I shall promptly provide.

No X470 boards?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

prime x370 pro is the best out of three

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

Just now, UnleashedPride said:

Buying in India, probably way too expensive.

I figured that might be, though I don't think it's a guarantee that 300 series boards will have a new enough bios for 2000 series CPUs.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I figured that might be, though I don't think it's a guarantee that 300 series boards will have a new enough bios for 2000 series CPUs.

This BIOS flash is something I can manage by going to a friend's place who has a first gen processor. As for X470 boards, I might be able to get the Gigabyte X470 Ultra Gaming at approximately the same price as the Asus X370 Pro

6 minutes ago, dave_k said:

prime x370 pro is the best out of three

Yes it is,  but I'm not sure if buying a board that costs almost the same price as of my CPU is something worth doing. What do you think?

Also, really appreciate the responses guys, didn't expect to get so many replies so quickly!

2 hours ago, nithin1992 said:

ASrock Pro 4 may need a BIOS update, otherwise Gigabyte Ultra Gaming.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

6 hours ago, nithin1992 said:

This BIOS flash is something I can manage by going to a friend's place who has a first gen processor. As for X470 boards, I might be able to get the Gigabyte X470 Ultra Gaming at approximately the same price as the Asus X370 Pro

Don't do it. Vrm on the ultra gaming isn't that good; if they're a similar price go prime for sure.

Do you plan on OCing, and if yes, with stock cooler or something else? Depending on how far you'll push it the prime plus could be fine.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

46 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Don't do it. Vrm on the ultra gaming isn't that good; if they're a similar price go prime for sure.

Do you plan on OCing, and if yes, with stock cooler or something else? Depending on how far you'll push it the prime plus could be fine.

Yes, I do plan on OCing a bit, I do have a modest Cooler master hyper 403 cooler. Are the VRMs on the Prime Plus ok for pushing say 1.35V with LLC? 

3 hours ago, nithin1992 said:

Yes, I do plan on OCing a bit, I do have a modest Cooler master hyper 403 cooler. Are the VRMs on the Prime Plus ok for pushing say 1.35V with LLC? 

Should be. Don't go crazy with the LLC though, as that could push Vcore more than one would think.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

4 hours ago, Phentos said:

Should be. Don't go crazy with the LLC though, as that could push Vcore more than one would think.

I'll try and get the B350 Plus then. I was under the impression that the MSI has better features / VRM for the price, never knew they were bad.

400 series motherboard will have much better vrm and construction than the 300 series due to sceptisism by the manufactorers during the launch. Id grab an Asrock X470 if you can

11 hours ago, nithin1992 said:

On a 6 core I think 1.35 should be OK. 1.35 is too much for an 8 core on that board though.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

7 hours ago, nithin1992 said:

I'll try and get the B350 Plus then. I was under the impression that the MSI has better features / VRM for the price, never knew they were bad.

4 hours ago, DocSwag said:

On a 6 core I think 1.35 should be OK. 1.35 is too much for an 8 core on that board though.

So ASUS has further hiked the price of the boards here, which is absurd!

The B350 Plus now costs $135, X370 Pro costs $190 while the MSI X370 Krait Gaming still costs $143.

Are the ASUS boards still worth the premium over the MSI board? I'm currently at a juncture where I just want to get this over with, so please do suggest something based on the revised prices. I would be buying this within the next 15 hours or so, at most, based on the feedback I get here.

1 hour ago, nithin1992 said:

So ASUS has further hiked the price of the boards here, which is absurd!

The B350 Plus now costs $135, X370 Pro costs $190 while the MSI X370 Krait Gaming still costs $143.

Are the ASUS boards still worth the premium over the MSI board? I'm currently at a juncture where I just want to get this over with, so please do suggest something based on the revised prices. I would be buying this within the next 15 hours or so, at most, based on the feedback I get here.

MSI VRM is OK I think. Not sure about the board in general though @dave_k

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

7 hours ago, dave_k said:

Thanks for the response. The X470 are also priced pretty high and are not really an option. Although I thought the MSI X470 Gaming Plus and the X370 Krait had the same VRM, is it not?

I’m  going for the Krait in the next hour or two, unless someone says otherwise. 

22 hours ago, nithin1992 said:

I think Gaming Plus is better than the krait, but the krait VRM is probably fine for a 6 core.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler