tips on how to cool down gpu?

Khoomn

So I just started monitoring my gpu temps randomly and i noticed yesterday, while playing... of all games.... fortnite... and I noticed that my GPU was at max 77c and on average 74c and obviously it was very high and I've NEVER seen it this high before. I just cleaned out my pc for 2 hours, removing dust from every single fan from that case, even the GPU, and it now is constantly averaging 71c, doesn't look like anything changed at all, is there any way to get it to better temps? If i use OC GURU for my GPU, it is set to manual and when it hits 71c it goes to around 68% speed on the fans, any higher than 75% will make a very noticeable clicking sound with the fans.

Those temps are 100% fine. You wont have any issues with those temps. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

at what point should I have to worry with the temps? Maybe im thinking 80 is bad for the cpu, not gpu

The 70s are fine. That's very normal for a GPU. 

If you want, try improving airflow throughout the case, and maybe test with the side panel removed. 

I don't think you should be worried though. I would only worry when it gets into the high 80s

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

GPUs are fine a 80 and even at 85. AMD and nivida were for a time fine with 95C. 

as how to drop temps. increase gpu fan speed and get more airflow.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

If the temps worry you for some reason (they're fine), you could always make a custom fan curve using software like MSI afterburner and/or Evga PrecisionX I suppose.

11 minutes ago, battleaxe143 said:

at what point should I have to worry with the temps? Maybe im thinking 80 is bad for the cpu, not gpu

Until you get into the upper 80s, youre fine. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

24 minutes ago, battleaxe143 said:

I'm also trying to find this out. Heat kills hardware. But how much and to what degree of life can you expect to lose if it is at 80C all the time when gaming or the occasional 85C.

None.  Most GPUs are designed to sustain ~85c.

The longer you use a component at full load the lower the lifespan of the part.  Caps have a shelf life as well as an operational life for example, operational lifespan at ~90c is usually ~5,000 hours (~200 days) for cheap parts while more expensive alternatives are rated for ~10,000 hours (~400 days).  On the other hand, shelf life is usually measured in years.  These parts are usually the culprit for hardware failure, and this is the reason mining GPU's are a bad idea unless you have the capability to replace the caps.

1 hour ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Yeah, those temps should be fine.

I'll tell you what I do though.
I have set dates for maintenance and cleaning of my PC.

They are Monthly, every 6 months, and every 12 months.

• Every month, I give my computer a light aesthetic cleaning on the intake grills, lighting, peripherals and other noticeable things, as well as making sure nothing is out of the ordinary and making sure everything is working the way it should. I also do a full virus scan with Norton Antivirus, and defragment all of my HDD's and SSD's manually.
    Lastly, I move files to optimise space, clean up my SSD to preserve space, as well as doing a health check on my SSD to ensure the integrity of the flash storage.

• Every 6 months, I do all of the above, but also:
    I take my computer outside, use my handheld air blower (Kinda like a mini leaf blower) 
    Here it is on ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Portable-Dust-Leaf-Handheld-Air-Blower/291772674824?epid=1071305230&hash=item43ef01b308:g:7AEAAOSw-29ZRpu 
    To blow all of the dust out.  Making sure to get all of the the fans, the gpu, PSU, Radiator (Obviously if you have an air cooler for your CPU then you would do that instead) intake and exhaust ports, hard drive cage, etc.  Basically anywhere where there is dust, blow it away!  Sometimes it will be nescisary to remove certain parts to ensure a cleaner finish, but MAKE SURE TO UNPLUG ALL OF THE FANS BEFORE USING A BLOWER OR YOU MAY OVERSPIN THEM CAUSING POWER TO FEEDBACK INTO YOUR MOTHERBOARD, GRAPHICS CARD, OR POWER SUPPLY, WHICH COULD POTENTIALLY DAMAGE, OR DISTROY THEM, SO BE CAREFUL! 

• Every 12 months, I do all of the above, but also:
    I remove the heatsink to my Graphics card and the waterblock for my CPU (Or cpu cooler), remove the old thermal paste and apply a new layer of high quality thermal paste to both.
    I will revise my cable management, decide what is needed in terms of upgrades to storage, CPU, GPU, replacement case parts, RAM, etc, by again, doing benchmarks, analysing data usage, memory bandwidth, and lots of other factors.

Now obviously you don't HAVE to follow these tips, but they are there for you to take into consideration if you do so wish.
And if you really are worried about your GPU then I do have one other suggestion:
I would much prefer my card do be a bit loud than running too hot, so I have a custom fan curve set in MSI afterburner so that the card stays cooler than it would at it's standard fan curve.  
And while it does of course run louder, the solution is to wear headphones, or to consider investing in some cheap sound dampening foam for the inside of your case.  So unless you are a serious surround sound speaker user, then I think you should be fine with something like that.

If you have any questions about the essay of a reply I have just put then please ask xD 

the best solution to get lower temps is something i am personally using which is to buy a small table fan and point it towards the gpu so it pushes fresh air into the card's fans