i dropped my camera and my lens is broken now

I was walking on the street and i fell with my nikon d600 and 35-80mm lens and hit the ground.After that the zoom and focus wheel turns very hard and the camera cannot autofocus because it needs extra force to do so.The glass of the lens by itself does not have a single scratch on it. Any suggestions what can i do to make my lens work properly again because that is my only lens and i can't afford another one?

You can try to take it apart, see if you can push things back into shape, but for practical purposes write it off and replace it. Even if you can resolve the mechanical side, chances are everything will be out of alignment and that's not trivial to get back into shape.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

you could take it apart and try to bent things back, but it sounds like that is going to be a pain(especially since you don't want to take a hammer to the lens) you can try visiting a repair shop and see if they can do something for you without it costing too much, otherwise there is nothing else possible then replacing it

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

You can try to call nikon to see how much it would cost to fix it.

On 5.5.2018 at 2:19 PM, porina said:

You can try to take it apart, see if you can push things back into shape, but for practical purposes write it off and replace it. Even if you can resolve the mechanical side, chances are everything will be out of alignment and that's not trivial to get back into shape.

Seriously don't try to take a lens apart. There is so much more complicated things going on in there than in a pc or laptop. You have better chances of breaking something for good and voiding your warranty instead of fixing it.

If you think the nikon repair is to expensive then take it to some camera shop. they usually have a third party repair shop that knows what to do with lenses and are usually cheaper than a first party repair.

32 minutes ago, FStopDesigns said:

Seriously don't try to take a lens apart. There is so much more complicated things going on in there than in a pc or laptop. You have better chances of breaking something for good and voiding your warranty instead of fixing it.

Agreed in general, but OP sounds like they're broke so a new lens or even a repair might be a stretch. 35-80mm lenses are from generations ago and practically worthless now (unless it was a f/2.8 maybe?), so I doubt it'll be economic to get someone else to repair it. If all you can afford is your own time, can still give it a go but don't count on it. Actually, if it is a much older lens, particularly if low cost one, they might be relatively simple mechanically and have higher chances of self repair than more modern lenses.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible