EVGA GeForce 980Ti Hybrid sudden temp spike to 90C

Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,
4 minutes ago, Xen0m0rph said:

I have an Evga GeForce 980Ti Hybrid graphics card and it worked smoothly for the past 3 years.

Starting yesterday, i'm having a weird problem with it. After some minutes of system uptime, the GPU temperature suddenly spikes to 90-91 Celsius degrees in the course of about 1 minute, and the fan ramps up to full speed. This happens quite sudden, there is no significant spike in GPU load to explain this, it happens even while not gaming. Worse, the coolers are unable to bring the temp down to 30-40C as it was before. Even if i restart the computer, the GPU is still not cooled, i have to wait until it cools down naturally. I replaced the thermal paste and cleaned the dust in the graphics board, without success. I don't think the sensors are wrong, because the board feels very hot when i touch it.

I am running the latest GeForce driver (397.31) on Windows 10 Pro x64.

What could cause this? Is it a hardware failure on the graphics board?

Honestly, really sounds like a dead pump on the unit sadly. 

I have an Evga GeForce 980Ti Hybrid graphics card and it worked smoothly for the past 3 years.

Starting yesterday, i'm having a weird problem with it. After some minutes of system uptime, the GPU temperature suddenly spikes to 90-91 Celsius degrees in the course of about 1 minute, and the fan ramps up to full speed. This happens quite sudden, there is no significant spike in GPU load to explain this, it happens even while not gaming. Worse, the coolers are unable to bring the temp down to 30-40C as it was before. Even if i restart the computer, the GPU is still not cooled, i have to wait until it cools down naturally. I replaced the thermal paste and cleaned the dust in the graphics board, without success. I don't think the sensors are wrong, because the board feels very hot when i touch it.

Is the pump working? Can you hear it?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

4 minutes ago, Xen0m0rph said:

Honestly, really sounds like a dead pump on the unit sadly. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

@Morgan MLGman i can't say for sure, the other fan (it's a hybrid card, liquid + air cooling) is working at 100%, and everything becomes quite noisy.

@Skiiwee29 even so, how can the temps rise to 90C if the GPU load is almost 0? Besides, there is also the other fan that should at least work as a backup.

Just now, Xen0m0rph said:

@Skiiwee29 even so, how can the temps rise to 90C if the GPU load is almost 0? Besides, there is also the other fan that should at least work as a backup.

because there is no cooling happening on the GPU DIE. its just hunk of metal on metal not really doing anything. At least with regular coolers, you have heat pipes that pull the heat away. All that heat isnt getting pulled away and staying right on top of the GPU DIE. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

because there is no cooling happening on the GPU DIE. its just hunk of metal on metal not really doing anything. At least with regular coolers, you have heat pipes that pull the heat away. All that heat isnt getting pulled away and staying right on top of the GPU DIE. 

I see, so it seems that my best option is to RMA the card, right? No point in fiddling around with that pump, it looks custom anyway and not easily replaceable.

2 minutes ago, Xen0m0rph said:

I see, so it seems that my best option is to RMA the card, right? No point in fiddling around with that pump, it looks custom anyway and not easily replaceable.

Chances are with the card 3+ years old, its likely out of warranty. If its still in warranty, then yes you will need to RMA the card. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Chances are with the card 3+ years old, its likely out of warranty. If its still in warranty, then yes you will need to RMA the card. 

Yes, i checked and it's still in warranty until September. I guess i'll open an RMA request and see if they indeed identify this as a pump problem.

Thanks!

Dead pump sounds like.  Your plate effectively becomes an insulator when that liquid isn't moving.