I was tightening down the cooler and pop!

BluePower

I was tightening this down and I heard a pop noise. Does this mean I ruined the motherboard or something? The manual doesn't say how tight to make it. Could of I ruiend my CPU?

IMG_20180501_183342.jpg

Does it tighten down with thumb screws?   It's probably fine.  As long as the screw isn't stripped and nothing appears obviously broken.  If the heasink was put on according to the directions you should be good.  If you're in doubt you could remove the heatsink and visually inspect for damage and install it a second time.  

Motherboards may make scary creaky and popping noises as you screw them into the case as well. 

It has been my experience that circuit boards generally don't pop when they break...more of a cracking sound like a branch breaking off a tree.

It could be that your cooler wasn't seated all the way down as you tightened it or maybe snagged something and slipped off as you tightened it. You could remove the cooler to inspect if you're paranoid about it.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Matacks said:

Does it tighten down with thumb screws?   It's probably fine.  As long as the screw isn't stripped and nothing appears obviously broken.  As long as the heasink was put on according to the directions I'm sure your good.  If you're in doubt just remove the heatsink and visually inspect for damage and install it a second time.  

Motherboards may make scary creaky and popping noises as you screw them into the case as well.

It's the cryorig h5 ultimate, you stick this tool down into the holes and it turns this piece down at the bottom. The noise freaked me out. I used some special thermal paste that they say can cause shorts and such. So I'm ultra paranoid about removing it. I'm definitely glad I asked on here first. I just didn't know if it's normal for manufacturers to do some goofy things with products like allowing the thing to be tightened down way to much to where it could break ( it's my first build ).

Oh man now I have to hook up all these cords. I have not a clue what goes where. And the aorus 1080 ti xtreem edition only came with one cord. But there's 2 of the 8 pin slots. Go figure. Every video iv seen online they fill up both slots. ???. I guess I need to order another connection cord on eBay. ?

IMG_20180501_185034.jpg

6 minutes ago, BluePower said:

It's the cryorig h5 ultimate, you stick this tool down into the holes and it turns this piece down at the bottom. The noise freaked me out. I used some special thermal paste that they say can cause shorts and such. So I'm ultra paranoid about removing it. I'm definitely glad I asked on here first. I just didn't know if it's normal for manufacturers to do some goofy things with products like allowing the thing to be tightened down way to much to where it could break ( it's my first build ).

Oh man now I have to hook up all these cords. I have not a clue what goes where. And the aorus 1080 ti xtreem edition only came with one cord. But there's 2 of the 8 pin slots. Go figure. Every video iv seen online they fill up both slots. ???. I guess I need to order another connection cord on eBay. ?

The GPU only comes with an adapter, the 8-pin GPU cables come with the power supply.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

15 minutes ago, Lurick said:

The GPU only comes with an adapter, the 8-pin GPU cables come with the power supply.

Well thank you so much friend. That's good info. I was trying to plug in the assistant fan and the cpu cooler, one side of it just popped out of place !!

1 minute ago, BluePower said:

Well thank you so much friend. That's good info. I was trying to plug in the assistant fan and the cpu cooler, one side of it just popped out of place !!

Did you tighten until it wouldn't easily turn or keep going after that? Also, a picture of it now would help too, just to make sure.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

14 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Did you tighten until it wouldn't easily turn or keep going after that? Also, a picture of it now would help too, just to make sure.

I just lightly tightened it up

45 minutes ago, Lurick said:

The video is processed now

Here's a over all photo:

IMG_20180501_193746.jpg

36 minutes ago, BluePower said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dWxX7dUTThQXsWzd2I42kQix5H-ZFxDO/view?usp=drivesdk

I uploaded video, when it's done processing check it out

2, 3, and 4pin fan headers are backwards compatible.

connector_mbfanpwm_4to3pin.pngaf2ae5d22ff71df380f6c77fb826d928_13487.J

The 4th pin is for pwm which 4pin pwm fans use to regulate speed. 

5ipAk.png

For 3pin fans, variable voltage through the 2nd pin is used to regulate speed.

Your motherboard should have the option to choose between pwm and dc control for each header although it's set to Auto by default which usually works fine.

The heatsink doesn't seem that loose in the video. A bit of wiggle is normal since heatpipes and fins are rather flexible. The pop sound might have been the screwdriver losing grip and slipping.

If bumping loosened the cooler, you probably tightened one side more than the other. Instead of tightening one screw first, gradually screw both sides in so it's evenly mounted.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

A thermal paste that can cause shorts? Was it liquid metal? Thought thermal pastes were non conductive. 

Just don't do what I did, and screw the heatsink down, with the fan connector socket crumpled between the heatsink and a RAM bus pullup resistor. :(

I managed to bodge a repair, but it was a crack pop and snap that I did not want to hear for breakfast!

18 hours ago, BluePower said:

The video is processed now

Here's a over all photo:

IMG_20180501_193746.jpg

I would advice moving GPU to upper slot. It doesn't make contact with CPU cooler even there and thermals will be better.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 5/1/2018 at 8:08 PM, WoodenMarker said:

2, 3, and 4pin fan headers are backwards compatible.

connector_mbfanpwm_4to3pin.pngaf2ae5d22ff71df380f6c77fb826d928_13487.J

The 4th pin is for pwm which 4pin pwm fans use to regulate speed. 

5ipAk.png

For 3pin fans, variable voltage through the 2nd pin is used to regulate speed.

Your motherboard should have the option to choose between pwm and dc control for each header although it's set to Auto by default which usually works fine.

The heatsink doesn't seem that loose in the video. A bit of wiggle is normal since heatpipes and fins are rather flexible. The pop sound might have been the screwdriver losing grip and slipping.

If bumping loosened the cooler, you probably tightened one side more than the other. Instead of tightening one screw first, gradually screw both sides in so it's evenly mounted.

Thank you so much for that information! Because of that info I put it into place. I had no idea. I would say I've been in way over my head with this project but I'm learning. It's incredibly challenging so far. I'm glad you shared that info because I wouldn't even know how to search what you posted or bring it up. Hopefully others will find your post one day if they have a similar problem.?

12 hours ago, JabroniBaloney said:

A thermal paste that can cause shorts? Was it liquid metal? Thought thermal pastes were non conductive. 

I searched YouTube before applying the paste on how to apply thermal compound and they said the paste that has silver in it can cause shorts, I just so happened to have ordered the thermal compound that has the silver in it ???

12 hours ago, TechyBen said:

Just don't do what I did, and screw the heatsink down, with the fan connector socket crumpled between the heatsink and a RAM bus pullup resistor. :(

I managed to bodge a repair, but it was a crack pop and snap that I did not want to hear for breakfast!

That sounds terrible man! I'm glad you fixed it though! The computer stuff is so delicate dude it's insane how this stuff is so flimsy. The shroud on the Aorus 1080 ti is super flimsy, it has such a flex to it!

6 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I would advice moving GPU to upper slot. It doesn't make contact with CPU cooler even there and thermals will be better.

You know what, I have took your advice! I had my relative with me and he built computers many years ago so he has some experience (waaay more than me) but he got it to pop into place! Idk why it was so stiff though, very odd

Screenshot_20180502-203209.jpg