M.2 slot cover screw is stripped.

Just got my pc parts and i tried to unscrew the M.2 cover on my asus ROG Maximus x Code but the screw was so tight and the screw got stripped. Is there a way to remove it without getting metal shards on the mobo?

95B43A5E-7EFA-4056-B98A-9DF008A9137D.jpeg

F79B7BFB-6C18-4CDE-A586-4A288B8A8587.jpeg

Just orderd an screw repair kit hope it helps. is there any site where i can order replacement screws for it?

first thing I would try is to put a of duck tape on the screw (sort of a gap filler) sometime its enought to get the screw out

PS: xD Cardide X, 2 idiots 1 idea but works by the same principle  xD 

Yes. Use the correct size tool in the first place and it wouldn't slip and strip it.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

you can put a rubber band on top of the screw, though with how stripped that screw looks i'm not even sure if that'll help at all.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

you can put a rubber band on top of the screw, though with how stripped that screw looks i'm not even sure if that'll help at all.

depends on how tight the screw is

you probably won't be able to that out all that easily. you can just resort to using the other m.2 slot on the motherboard. (looks like one of the models with 2) there usually isn't a reason to put them under there anyway. if ssd's absolutely needed the cooling they'd come with heat-sinks on them

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

I see no way to remove the screws except with a screw extractor that will generate metal chips. What you can do to avoid getting chips onto the MOBO is to tape a piece of paper larger than the MOBO (you would have to remove the CPU cooler, cards, etc.) with small holes in the paper that allow access to the screws. Use double sided tape around the holes to keep chips from getting onto the MOBO. Use a screw extractor to remove the screws. I favor the Grabit brand. It has a small drill bit on one end and a "grabber" on the other end. You chuck the Grabit bit in a drill with the drill bit end out, then, with the drill in reverse, drill a conical depression in the top of the screw head. Sometimes the drill end alone will back out the screw. If not, reverse the bit in the drill, firmly press the grabber end into the drill, then slowly run the drill to back out the screw. Once the screws are out, blow away all the chips before removing the paper. 

I've yet to fail to remove a stripped screw head using a Grabit. I have a set of three (they also have other size sets). This video shows how to use them:

Despite what the video advises, I usually use my 18v impact driver because its hex chuck is easier to use. i have used my 18v 1/2" drill as well. The trick is to keep the speed slow.

To avoid stripping screw heads in the future, be sure to use the proper size screw driver (most people use one that is too small, especially on Phillips head screws), use firm pressure on the screw head once it has been started, and do not overtighten.

1 hour ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

if ssd's absolutely needed the cooling they'd come with heat-sinks on them

So, if a CPU doesn't come with a cooler, it doesn't need one? Most M.2 SSDs can benefit from a cooler, especially ones that are mounted flat to a MOBO with poor airflow over them. Many absolutely do need one.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 hour ago, J4se0wns said:

Just orderd an screw repair kit hope it helps. is there any site where i can order replacement screws for it?

Take a thin rubber band and put it over the tip of the screwdriver.

Image result for stripped screw rubber band

Alternatively, use the tips of a pair of scissors. Sometimes that has worked for me. And next time use Phillips instead of hex, or if that WAS Philips...use better screws!

Intel Core i7 4790K 4.8GHz | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | 32GB 2133MHz CL7 DDR3 | nVidia GeForce GTX 1070 with Custom BIOS | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | 3TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD | 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD | Corsair CX750M  | Custom 240mm all-in-one liquid cooler | Broadcom NetXTREME 5709c Dual Gigabit NIC | Cougar MX330 mid-tower chassis | Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter

2 hours ago, Carbide X said:

Yes, put a rubber band on the tip of your screw driver. That should do the trick.

Let me know if it worked

I already tried it with a rubber band didnt work :(

1 hour ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

you probably won't be able to that out all that easily. you can just resort to using the other m.2 slot on the motherboard. (looks like one of the models with 2) there usually isn't a reason to put them under there anyway. if ssd's absolutely needed the cooling they'd come with heat-sinks on them

Yup i already installed it in the other slot but i payed alot for the mobo so i want to use the slot under the cover so i can buy another m.2 ssd in the future. 661D1A34-C56F-41D0-AB66-F653616CB78E.thumb.jpeg.7fe8133f2398fd9d4a3b750be8b07767.jpeg

49 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

I see no way to remove the screws except with a screw extractor that will generate metal chips. What you can do to avoid getting chips onto the MOBO is to tape a piece of paper larger than the MOBO (you would have to remove the CPU cooler, cards, etc.) with small holes in the paper that allow access to the screws. Use double sided tape around the holes to keep chips from getting onto the MOBO. Use a screw extractor to remove the screws. I favor the Grabit brand. It has a small drill bit on one end and a "grabber" on the other end. You chuck the Grabit bit in a drill with the drill bit end out, then, with the drill in reverse, drill a conical depression in the top of the screw head. Sometimes the drill end alone will back out the screw. If not, reverse the bit in the drill, firmly press the grabber end into the drill, then slowly run the drill to back out the screw. Once the screws are out, blow away all the chips before removing the paper. 

I've yet to fail to remove a stripped screw head using a Grabit. I have a set of three (they also have other size sets). This video shows how to use them:

Despite what the video advises, I usually use my 18v impact driver because its hex chuck is easier to use. i have used my 18v 1/2" drill as well. The trick is to keep the speed slow.

To avoid stripping screw heads in the future, be sure to use the proper size screw driver (most people use one that is too small, especially on Phillips head screws), use firm pressure on the screw head once it has been started, and do not overtighten.

So, if a CPU doesn't come with a cooler, it doesn't need one? Most M.2 SSDs can benefit from a cooler, especially ones that are mounted flat to a MOBO with poor airflow over them. Many absolutely do need one.

I orderd this one hope it works. 3608D802-0E98-42E8-B6A8-90551903E318.thumb.png.7164f3327d8e6f7b27e102a28018fae0.png

23 minutes ago, J4se0wns said:

I orderd this one hope it works.

it's basically doing the same thing as a drill... you don't really need a fancy bit for that. it won't really be pretty...

but you know those screws aren't really meant to be strong or anything so you can probably strip the threads by pulling on it with just arm strength. and then the screw is out.... it's pretty much the same result. either way you won't be able to use that screw hole.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

Its has been fixed. I used the screwrepairkit and it worked like a charm. 

Now i need to find some replacement screws somewhere, do  you guys know a good site to order some screws?

B6C10D98-74D5-4F79-9474-D95A79895BBC.jpeg

79942090-7A00-4C66-8B6E-E6C928952F87.jpeg

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/30/2018 at 7:49 AM, Carbide X said:

Yes, put a rubber band on the tip of your screw driver. That should do the trick.

Let me know if it worked

FREAKIN GENIUS!!!

• 2 months later...
On 5/4/2018 at 2:37 PM, J4se0wns said:

Its has been fixed. I used the screwrepairkit and it worked like a charm. 

Now i need to find some replacement screws somewhere, do  you guys know a good site to order some screws?

B6C10D98-74D5-4F79-9474-D95A79895BBC.jpeg

79942090-7A00-4C66-8B6E-E6C928952F87.jpeg

Congrats! I also have a M.2 screw stripped. I couldn't find the kit you purchased. This is the closest thing I can find on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Separated-Burnishing-Extractors-Extension/dp/B07D3XZCDM/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1IU2DQ51H8ECV&keywords=grabit+screw+extractor&qid=1563217529&s=gateway&sprefix=grabit%2Caps%2C449&sr=8-4 Do you think it will work? Also, where did you buy that kit? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have had 2 Asus mobos with the same problem. I sent one back and now I'm dealing with the same stuck screw. And yes I have been using the correct size screwdriver.

• 2 years later...
On 4/30/2018 at 6:55 AM, userzero said:

Yes. Use the correct size tool in the first place and it wouldn't slip and strip it.

Was stripped on arrival. So, who didn't use the right size screwdriver in that case?

On 4/30/2018 at 8:45 AM, i_got_laid_by_a_dragoness said:

Take a thin rubber band and put it over the tip of the screwdriver.

Image result for stripped screw rubber band

Alternatively, use the tips of a pair of scissors. Sometimes that has worked for me. And next time use Phillips instead of hex, or if that WAS Philips...use better screws!

While this is helpful, you didn't need to add the part about using the correct tool or screw, that's just being insulting for no reason. In my case, the MB came with the screw already stripped. It wasn't about using the correct size screw or correct size screwdriver. This is a manufacture defect, not an end user screwup. Pun intended. 🙂

But, again, the rubber band trick is useful and helpful information, so thank you for that.