Lawsuit?? Is it possible?

AMD Lover

I recently fixed an iPhone 6S for a friend. A couple weeks later the backlight started messing up on one corner of the screen. I bought another screen of a different brand but it did not solve the problem, I offered to actually buy her a new phone. I felt bad that it could have possibly been my fault. The next day after she left my house that night before I noticed something was missing off my desk. I hadn't touched the thing in forever and knew that it was there before she came. I messaged her about it and she immediately denied knowing anything about it and said if I didn't give her $600 that she was going to file a lawsuit. Could that even be a thing???

Work Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | GPU: Quadro K1200 | Motherboard: EVGA Z97 Classified | RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2133Mhz | PSU: Seasonic 750W SS-750KM3 80 PLUS Gold | STORAGE: WD 1TB Se Enterprise Grade Drive & Corsair Neutron NX500 400GB NVMe PCIe  | COOLER: Enermax Liqtech 240 -  5x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM | CASE: Corsair 600C | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals: Logitech MX Master 2S -- Logitech K840 -- INTEL X520 10Gb NIC -- 3x Acer H236HL -- Build Log | 

Work Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 | Model: Cisco UCS C220 M4 (SFF) | RAM: 64GB (4x16GB) Cisco (Samsung) DDR4 2133Mhz | STORAGE: 4x Cisco (Seagate) 900GB 10K 2.5" (RAID 10) - 2x 32GB Cisco FlexFlash Boot Drive (RAID 1) | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | 

Laptop | CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ | GPU: Nvidia GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5 | RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400Mhz | STORAGE: 512GB Hynix NVMe | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

Gaming Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 9700K | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G  | Motherboard: ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX | RAM: Ballistix Elite 32GB Kit (16GB x 2) DDR4-3000 | PSU: Silverstone SX700-LPT 700w 80 PLUS Platinum | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12 | CASE: Louqe Ghost S1 | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Build Log in Progress | 

Home Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2690 (Sandy Bridge) | GPU: Quadro P2000 | Motherboard: SUPERMICRO X9SRL-F  | RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) Micron VLP DDR3-1600 ECC | PSU: SUPERMICRO 665W 80 PLUS Bronze | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (RAID 1) - 4x WD 8TB Ultrastar (RAID 10) - Intel SSD D3-S4510 Series 240GB (BOOT)  | COOLER: Noctua NH-U12DXi4 with 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM | CASE: SUPERMICRO CSE-842TQ-665B 4U | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | Build Log in Progress |

| Pixel 4XL 128GB - Clearly White - Unlocked - Carrier: Visible |

| F@H STATS |

From context I'd ASSUME she's going to sue you over the phone but you don't actually state that.  And, well, maybe?  You expose yourself to potential liability when doing repairs should you do more damage than anything.  This is why there are terms and refund policies in repair agreements.  Though as you offered to REPLACE the phone, then, if she's refusing to have you replace it (Or pony up the replacement cost) it'd be tricky to bring a small claims suit to completion.

As for the stolen item, with no proof that she stole it, you're kinda SOL there.

Is the thing that's missing important? Is it worth anything? Could it be used against you in a blackmail sort of way, like "pay me or whatever I took is gonna get it/be posted onto the internet"

Also, lets be honest here, if she went to you to repair it instead of going to the apple store or a third party repair shop, she herself was taking the risk of it breaking in your hands.

The fact that it lasted a few weeks after repair might also indicated that it broke at no fault of yours.

Not only that, but you've offered to buy her a new phone (and that 6S is certainly NOT worth $600 anymore, it's closer to $150 to $200, even lower depending on how badly "damaged" it is, it's like all apple products are designed to break easily isn't it),

so even if she sues you(which is unlikely, would cost her a LOT more money to sue you than it would to buy a new phone, it's more likely to go in Arbitration), she'd probably end up losing.

You've already went above and beyond for her.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Push your luck and see what happens. I sell faulty items sometimes (as described so) and then I get people complaining and wanting a refund, so always ask them to go through the site and be polite etc. I don't sell stuff anymore though its just not worth the hassle - but people try and swindle you out of money because they couldn't make a quick buck (I've just gotten so sick of it and I don't like hearing people being let down supposedly by me and the situation is usually always complicated). 

Always have a standard policy set and use the Consumer Guarantees Act (You might have one in the US - but i'm not sure) where if your service is faulty within a reasonable timeframe (1 year usually for tech) you have to repair, refund or replace it. Something like that. 

lol yeah sure, a real attorney would eat way more than $600 in fees alone. Call her bluff and dare to hire an attorney and wait for her to backout.

Sounds to me that:

1. She's at least a little suspect. Who threatens to sue and has a number in their head immediately upon confrontation?
  2. You have a shitty friend selection process. This needs to be improved.

Honestly? Call her bluff. This doesn't sound to me like it's an actual business agreement or anything (which most people for some reason seem to be drawn to), and small claims court costs both time and money. Most people threaten it, few pursue. If you have proof that you offered her a replacement, you're better off. $600 is too much for an iPhone 6s, as it's used and has depreciation to factor in.

5 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

lol yeah sure, a real attorney would eat way more than $600 in fees alone. Call her bluff and dare to hire an attorney and wait for her to backout.

Small claims court...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

9 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Lol you realize that’s only for federal cases. With a small claim like this you just go to small claims court that is a civil court meaning you don’t have an attorney it’s just you and the defendant talking to the judge and the judge rules all on what she thinks based off what she’s told and gets from the reports.

it still has fees but it’s like 10’s of dollars not thousands 

haven’t you ever seen judge Judy? Or one of the many other judge shows? That’s a small claims count. 

1 hour ago, RoyalGamer1 said:

haven’t you ever seen judge Judy? Or one of the many other judge shows? That’s a small claims count. 

Actually, it's not.  While "Judge Judy" and those other shows give the appearance of court, they are actually arbitration rather than court, it's a private arrangement overseen by an arbitrator rather than a civil court.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbitration

5 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Actually, it's not.  While "Judge Judy" and those other shows give the appearance of court, they are actually arbitration rather than court, it's a private arrangement overseen by an arbitrator rather than a civil court.

Doesn't matter small claims court still exists and you don't actually need a lawyer to sue

I'd ignore the threat and say I had security cameras but since you already had discussion with her the bluff to illicit reaction is off the table, regardless I still wouldn't care and a 6s isn't worth 600 bucks regardless.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

4 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

I have been to civil court and its exactly the same, so just stop. you are just annoying at this point and no one cares okay? ill ask you next time I would like your input. 

2 minutes ago, RoyalGamer1 said:

I have been to civil court and its exactly the same, so just stop. you are just annoying at this point and no one cares okay? ill ask you next time I would like your input. 

Except it's not court.  It's not a court at all.  It's a private arbitration with a lady dressed up like a judge for the sake of television theatrics.  All I'm saying is that a lot of people mistake Judge Judy for being some kind of court room (Reasonably so, after all, they literally CALL it her courtroom in the narration) but yeah, that's not court.

Though I don't see why you are becoming emotionally upset for having it pointed out to you that Judge Judy is not, in any way, a court or any form of litigation.

Yeah, it’s your responsibility. You will need to give her, her phone back

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Judge Judy type shows are all staged, and the people are actors. Just like Jerry Springer, Dr. Phil and so on.