Notebook Heat Issues!

TheRussianDuck

What's goin' on everybody? I need some help deciding what to do about my laptop's heat issues. For reference my laptop is a GL702VS Strix Gaming Notebook. It does have a bit of a reputation for having pretty sub-par cooling out of the box. My first question, which might have an obvious answer, is: Will removing the heatsinks on my GPU and CPU and repasting both components void my warranty with ASUS? The second question is: If repasting the CPU and GPU proves to be a bad idea with little to no improvements offered to cooling, what should I do to mend the awful thermals? Thanks in advance for any offered ideas! 

*EDIT* Temperatures prior to undervolting were high 70s to low 90s, but have dropped to just under the 80 degree mark, negating the thermal throttling issue for now. 

Specs for the Laptop are as follows:

-GeForce GTX 1070

-i7-7700HQ @2.8GHz

-16GB DDR4 RAM

- 128GB m.2 SSD

-1TB HDD 7200RPM

-17-inch, 120 Hz G-Sync IPS Panel

Edited by TheRussianDuck

5 minutes ago, TheRussianDuck said:

Will removing the heatsinks on my GPU and CPU and repasting both components void my warranty with ASUS?

Yup, always.

5 minutes ago, TheRussianDuck said:

If repasting the CPU and GPU proves to be a bad idea with little to no improvements offered to cooling, what should I do to mend the awful thermals?

It'll probably be fine. You can always make your use place colder (ambient temperatures drop hardware temps) and use laptop cooling pads.

What are your current temps on your laptop and what is your ambient/home temp (with humidity %)?

Just now, MaxBunny said:

Yup, always.

It'll probably be fine. You can always make your use place colder (ambient temperatures drop hardware temps) and use laptop cooling pads.

What are your current temps on your laptop and what is your ambient/home temp (with humidity %)?

My Ambient home temperature is 66 Degrees Fahrenheit, with air conditioning throughout the house. Humidity typically never climbs above 10-20% on an average day. I already use a cooling pad, but it makes little to no difference. 

35 minutes ago, TheRussianDuck said:

I already use a cooling pad, but it makes little to no difference. 

Undervolting like mok said is a useful strategy. Also, what are your laptop's temperatures that are so high that you want to reduce them? You never specified and laptops do run hotter than desktops so higher numbers are usually still within their intended range.

17 hours ago, MaxBunny said:

Undervolting like mok said is a useful strategy. Also, what are your laptop's temperatures that are so high that you want to reduce them? You never specified and laptops do run hotter than desktops so higher numbers are usually still within their intended range.

The numbers I'm referring to range between high 70's to low 90's when the laptop begins to thermal throttle. I downloaded the XTU utility and undervolted by 125mV and it has shown some improvements. 

17 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Here is the site I used as a guide for undervolting my laptop.

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/10167-laptop-undervolting-overcloking/

Thanks for the suggestion! I tested with and without an undervolt on the same games for the same amount of time, and it appears undervolting helped lower temps to below the throttling threshold around 80 Degrees (C) while maintaining high graphical settings. Guide was also easy enough to follow! 

28 minutes ago, TheRussianDuck said:

Thanks for the suggestion! I tested with and without an undervolt on the same games for the same amount of time, and it appears undervolting helped lower temps to below the throttling threshold around 80 Degrees (C) while maintaining high graphical settings. Guide was also easy enough to follow! 

I did the same, and I no longer thermal throttling, and my performance is often the same and sometimes better because of the drop in performance.

Another thing you can do, combined with the undervolt, is adjust the minimum processor  clock. I think Windows puts mom at like 5% and Max at 100%. On my high performance profile, I or the mib CPU clock at 80%. Didn't hurt heat, and keeps it feeling snappy. I also never have my laptop on my lap, so no issues.

Glad it worked!