Did my psu just kill two cards?

xFluing

So about a month ago I bought a Sapphire HD 7850 second hand. It ran fine until a week ago when it was crashing as if it weren't getting enough voltage: no artifacts or anything, just unstable voltage.

Since then I took it to the guy I got it from and he was cool enough to replace it for me, with an MSI HD 7850, same model, but only 1gb. Fast forward to last night, not even a week after I had it replaced and it started artifacting.

Now I wonder if these things were caused by the fact that my power supply killed them. No power surges or anything, and besides i have my pc plugged into a surge protector.

However, my R7 250 is still alive after 3 years, and I'm thinking that either if it were the power supply killing my stuff it would have also killed the 250 or it only kills cards that have at least a 6-pin power.

My power supply is a TX550M from Corsair.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

21 minutes ago, xFluing said:

Only way to know would be to use a different power supply.

You also could have dropped the power target on the first card by like 50%

Also when you took it back why didn't ya ask him to test it? That way you'd know if your PSU killed it or is just a problem.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

9 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Only way to know would be to use a different power supply.

You also could have dropped the power target on the first card by like 50%

Also when you took it back why didn't ya ask him to test it? That way you'd know if your PSU killed it or is just a problem.

Well he did test it, we were at it for hours trying to figure out what was wrong with it.

Besides, once it's dead, it's dead regardless of the power supply used innit? It's like giving a dead person a heart transplant and suddenly they're alive again.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

Maybe you're just unlucky and both cards died shortly after you purchase them (maybe they already had problems before since they are second handed)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 minute ago, ZM Fong said:

Maybe you're just unlucky and both cards died shortly after you purchase them (maybe they already had problems before since they are second handed)

That's what I like to believe, too, this second MSI one has the exact symptoms of a cooked card: ok for one week, then it starts artifacting, so the PSU should be fine, I mean, it hasn't killed my r7 250

4 minutes ago, xFluing said:

symptoms of a cooked card

this might be the case too, if the seller lied to you

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

8 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

this might be the case too, if the seller lied to you

Thing is he doesn't know the full history of the cards he gets, a friend of his sends them to him from Germany from an IT center or something

On all his ads does say he accepts burn-ins, and we did sit for hours testing the first card I got, so lying is out of the question, again, he was cool enough to offer me a replacement. He may not have gotten around to testing this MSI card though he did tell me it got to him recently, but I like to believe if it didn't happen to me it would have happened to someone else, or even to himself down the line.

16 minutes ago, xFluing said:

In any event, sounds like it's time to just upgrade to a Ryzen APU system at some point.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

In any event, sounds like it's time to just upgrade to a Ryzen APU system at some point.

Nah man DDR4 prices are through the roof.

I have a friend who is selling his EVGA GTX 960, I'll just get that if I manage to get my money back from the 7850 guy.

1 minute ago, xFluing said:

Nah man DDR4 prices are through the roof.

I have a friend who is selling his EVGA GTX 960, I'll just get that if I manage to get my money back from the 7850 guy.

Or if it is your PSU you'll kill the 960 as well.

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

Or if it is your PSU you'll kill the 960 as well.

I'm hesitant to believe my PSU killed these GPUs, they both died in different ways, I was just not ruling out the option of the power supply.

6 hours ago, xFluing said:

Well he did test it, we were at it for hours trying to figure out what was wrong with it.

Besides, once it's dead, it's dead regardless of the power supply used innit? It's like giving a dead person a heart transplant and suddenly they're alive again.

Not necessarily.

It depends on why it's dying.

With artifacting though, I don't usually see any cards doing that revived..

Honestly, go back, get the last card you had back and give him back the one that's artifacting.

It sounds like that card had a much better chance of being revived.

I would try flashing the bios on it.

By the way, are you making sure you uninstall the old video card driver before installing the new card?

Use DDU for that.

https://windowsreport.com/display-driver-uninstaller-windows-10/