Shorten a radiator by 1mm?

Go to solution Solved by bleedblue,

Use a belt sander, dear lord don't hammer it.

The h100i v2 radiators width is 125mm. The case can only fit a 124mm radiator. 

Is it possible to hammer and compress 1mm OC the radiator? Or any other way? 

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

Uh, no.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

10 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

This falls under the or any other way lol. Do you know the construction of a radiator? How thick are they under the surface?

1 minute ago, phongle123 said:

This falls under the or any other way lol. Do you know the construction of a radiator? How thick are they under the surface?

I can't say I do.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

Just now, bleedblue said:

I can't say I do.

I assume they are somewhat thick as I only need to shave off .5mm from each side.

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

It may just fit as is. My case said it would take a cooler 5mm shorter than the cooler I have in it

It is for the Project Orthrus case and the exact dimension is 124mm. In the linus video he specifically stated he had to go with the h100 (120mm width) instead of the new one because it wouldnt fit. 

8 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

there are no pipes in the sides you should be able to easily grind off 1mm maybe even 2~3mm going at it from both sides. but it's not necessarily the best option

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

25 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

You'd better hammer your case instead of destroying the radiator.

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

14 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

there are no pipes in the sides you should be able to easily grind off 1mm maybe even 2~3mm going at it from both sides. but it's not necessarily the best option

Sanding looks like a viable option. If a radiator only had for example 1mm of construction as its wall then I expect it wouldnt be very good in case of punctures.

My hammering it idea was so it wouldnt lose any wall construction and making it bend/tilt a little bit i.e. compressing the construction would save the 1mm. Though it might conflict with interior flow. 

46 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

I wouldn't worry about 1mm it will probably fit... my case said only a 165mm cpu air cooler would fit but a 170mm fit just fine...

If it still doesn't fit DO NOT resort to hammering it this could easily crack, puncture or block the internals of the rad leaving it useless...  your best bet would be to make the space needed in the case and not modify the radiator...

If you absolutely cannot modify the case (made from glass etc) then your best bet would be a belt sander or some high grit sandpaper and go at it by hand SLOWLY and work both sides to ensure you don't take too much material from one side and work right through the rad again leaving it useless...

Good luck! but as stated at the start of my post 1mm is not that much and you should be able to slip the rad in there.

Cheers!

Good Grief! DON'T sand down the ends of your radiator! I very seriously doubt the walls of the tank will be thick enough to allow that. Even if you get away with it at the beginning, it will be at increased risk for springing a leak later. It would be much safer to remove material from the case.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Don't,  Most metal sheet that is used in folded products like radiators are less than 0.6mm thick. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

The tank doesn’t start at the ends. Look at a rad and think about it. Almost any rad can be sounded down. Ek rads have a whole shell over them. Could get away with almost anything. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

22 hours ago, phongle123 said:

Sanding looks like a viable option. If a radiator only had for example 1mm of construction as its wall then I expect it wouldnt be very good in case of punctures.

My hammering it idea was so it wouldnt lose any wall construction and making it bend/tilt a little bit i.e. compressing the construction would save the 1mm. Though it might conflict with interior flow. 

hammering is really not a good idea no lol. the steel(or alu? doesn't matter) is 0.5mm thick in the sides and there's only fins behind that so you're safe grinding it away. but banging on it you're much more likely to get something crucial out of shape and actually damage it more than just visually

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:30 AM, Mick Naughty said:

The tank doesn’t start at the ends. Look at a rad and think about it. Almost any rad can be sounded down. Ek rads have a whole shell over them. Could get away with almost anything. 

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:16 AM, mr moose said:

Don't,  Most metal sheet that is used in folded products like radiators are less than 0.6mm thick. 

VERY Contradicting statements.

Anyways I didn't wanna bother modding and I'll take the 3C temperature loss. I'm returning the Corsair H100i v2 and getting the Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 because it was 40$ after rebate.

1 minute ago, phongle123 said:

VERY Contradicting statements.

Anyways I didn't wanna bother modding and I'll take the 3C temperature loss. I'm returning the Corsair H100i v2 and getting the Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 because it was 40$ after rebate.

I don't know what he is talking about, I am purely responding to the suggestions to sand down the radiator, which is already very thin metal.  If there is a casing or shroud that can be removed then fine, but don't sand the radiator.    Although I see that advice is now moot.  Good luck with the rest of the build.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.