Can 2 cell phones have the same phone number?

Jacazza

I heard from a tech guy that I sorta know that 2 cell phones can have the same phone number. I think it's called cloning a phone. If that is possible would text messages be sent to both phones. Or has this techie been b s..ing

Yes, it actually happened to Linus.

Someone with enough info about you can convince your network they're you and get get them to issue a clone SIM. Put that SIM in any phone and it acts exactly like the first phone, will receive calls & texts and to any 2FA will appear to be the original phone.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Yes, it actually happened to Linus.

When?

My provider has a service called Multi-SIM where two phones share a number. Limitations are that the secondary phone can't send/receive MMS or that it can't call the primary phone. Primary phone can call the secondary by calling the secondary phones "actual" phone number.

16 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

When?

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

No. You can spoof a number, but 2 phones can't have the same physical mdn.

When two devices share a number,  one device has a different physical number that the carrier uses to identify it. This is how smartwatches are setup for example.

1 hour ago, Ezzy-525 said:

Ah ok, that's a little different, what happened is someone claimed to be Linus (believe it or not a simple stolen phone bill can work) and got a new sim activated on his account. What OP was asking is is it possible to have 2 phones function as 1.

It isn't very likely due to very few leaving their phones out of sight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_cloning