How significantly does Wifi affect frame timings?

Tcrumpen

After watching this TQ video:

I began to think, i play a game called SMITE and using my 1050Ti i can get 150fps however i still suffer from frame skips from time to time despite my hardware being more than adequate, Now i have a wireless setup at my flat and although my desktop is only 3 feet (1 metre approx.) away from my wireless router i'm wondering whether the wireless can be the cause of my frame skips

So how much does a wireless connection affect games that constantly talk to servers

Well, if it had an offline mode it'd be easy to just test.

it depends on the game though. In some games where your host/server interaction is minimal, very little. 

If you take warframe for example (I play it a lot), there's a place called relays where many players can hang out. loading into there will crash your framerate since you gotta load dozens of players worth of data once you step inside. So the network plays a large role. But once in a mission with 4 total people, I can play on wifi with no noticeable difference over ethernet.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

connection issues will give you rubber banding rather than FPS issues but its not the case every game out there.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

17 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

Well, if it had an offline mode it'd be easy to just test.

it depends on the game though. In some games where your host/server interaction is minimal, very little. 

If you take warframe for example (I play it a lot), there's a place called relays where many players can hang out. loading into there will crash your framerate since you gotta load dozens of players worth of data once you step inside. So the network plays a large role. But once in a mission with 4 total people, I can play on wifi with no noticeable difference over ethernet.

I play warframe to so yay snap

17 minutes ago, Tcrumpen said:

I play warframe to so yay snap

um... no idea what that means... :D

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

2 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

um... no idea what that means... :D

Snap?

Like the card game. Basically i'm saying i've found another Warframe fan

1 minute ago, Tcrumpen said:

Snap?

Like the card game. Basically i'm saying i've found another Warframe fan

file.jpg

Wifi has nothing to do with how game renders for you. Only if some part of game would be rendered over wifi, which isn't the case. You are experiencing issues with netcode, or how client on your PC and server and communicating. Wifi can have more caps in connection, making sending and receiving packages slower time-to-time. Which will result in rubberbanding, lag, warping and other terms used when its networking issue. You can usually see when its happening if your ping (time it takes packages to move from you to server in ms) jumps to high numbers.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv