Pc using Raid 10(Videos and pics) and Gaming

I want to build a pc that will have raid 10(i would prefer just 4 drives probably 4 tbs of storage in total) i would like a solid state just for the operating system. I would like to game at 1080p with high settings all games. My budget is 1500 dollars

any specific reason for wanting raid 10?

if you just want reliable storage for cheap you're best off having a single larger drive on your pc and a decent external hard drive to back up to daily/weekly. this way if your psu blows up your pc or your house burns down you will still have your data on the external hdd. (assuming you keep it somewhere accessible, safe and not plugged into your pc)

Why do you need raid? Normally a back and a single drive is a better solution for most users, id just get a 4tb drive.

What are you doing other than gaming?

Id get this

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7LVrV6
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7LVrV6/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor  ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($119.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($96.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB DUKE OC Video Card  ($599.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1311.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-22 17:24 EDT-0400

Id setup the drives with amd storemi

That way you have one big fast volume with ssd tiering.

Do you need more performance than a single drive can offer, and/or the resiliency of being able to hot swap failed drives to avoid downtime, and do you want to deal with the increased risks of power loss or other errors corrupting your array?  If you didn't answer "yes" to the last part, as well as at least one of the first two, RAID is not what you are looking for.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I just want the most performance and redundency just in case one fails. I do some photo editing a little bit as well. i just want to know whats the best option for me.

3 minutes ago, theoneandonly7 said:

I just want the most performance and redundency just in case one fails. I do some photo editing a little bit as well. i just want to know whats the best option for me.

backups are much better at protecting your data. Raid won't help you if you delete a file, your system corrupts the filesystem, the house burns down, or you get a cryptolocker, where with a backup your safe in those uses. You can use both the most protection, but its mostly not needed.

Speed wise, iops are low on any hdd raid array, and thats what makes things like games load quickly normally, Your still much slower than any ssd. Thats why id suggest a ssd cache or tiering solution if you want speed and a large volume. AMD has one included with the x470 boards, and intel has optane for their current gen. A ssd cache will make it much faster than raid for a games/media drive.

11 minutes ago, theoneandonly7 said:

You'll need a backup anyway, which will protect you against loss if you do it often enough.  If you want to add RAID on top of that (since you can't use it as a replacement), then you can of course, but I generally don't advice it since it's simply unnecessary in 99.9% of cases and is going to cost more for the additional drives.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

raid 10 is only worth it in a very limited number of cases, in your case you're MUCH better off getting an external (or network) drive to pull nightly backups.

So i think maybe the question that i should be asking is for 1500 dollars if i were to get a backup with around 4tb and pc that can play games at 1080p with a ssd for os what should i get?

1 minute ago, theoneandonly7 said:

So i think maybe the question that i should be asking is for 1500 dollars if i were to get a backup with around 4tb and pc that can play games at 1080p with a ssd for os what should i get?

Look at my post above

Id get this

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7LVrV6
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7LVrV6/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor  ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($119.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($96.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB DUKE OC Video Card  ($599.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1311.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-22 17:24 EDT-0400

Id setup the drives with amd storemi

That way you have one big fast volume with ssd tiering.

Yeah that's probably the best option.  StoreMI is unlike any of the other common consumer caching systems that have been around for a while like SSHDs and it is much better than them all.  It's more like what the enterprise has been using to great effect for a long time already.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah that's probably the best option.  StoreMI is unlike any of the other common consumer caching systems that have been around for a while like SSHDs and it is much better than them all.  It's more like what the enterprise has been using to great effect for a long time already.

I don't think its going to be much better than anything else, and seems limited, but seems better than any current solution on windows. It will probably be about the same as the fusion drive on osx, better than a hdd, but still worse than a pure ssd solution, and has overhead to deal with. 

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

I don't think its going to be much better than anything else, and seems limited, but seems better than any current solution on windows. It will probably be about the same as the fusion drive on osx, better than a hdd, but still worse than a pure ssd solution, and has overhead to deal with. 

According to this it's a lot better than fusion drive and should perform about on par with the individual components its made up of

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

According to this it's a lot better than fusion drive and should perform about on par with the individual components its made up of

Ive seen the video.

But no comparisons, This almost feels like marketing.

There isn't anything there doing that is much better than everyone else, you limited by the algorithm, and how big of a cache. There will be overhead. For most consumers it will work fine, but its still not perfect. I don't think they have a magic algorithm that get a much higher hit ratio than every other solution.

ok but if you had to build a system with 4 hard drives in raid 10 how would you build it just out of curiosity? that can also game at 1080p and have a ssd with the os for 1500 dollars

22 minutes ago, theoneandonly7 said:

ok but if you had to build a system with 4 hard drives in raid 10 how would you build it just out of curiosity? that can also game at 1080p and have a ssd with the os for 1500 dollars

if i had 1500 bucks to blow, i'd build a NAS with 4 harddrives AND a 1080p gaming system. 

53 minutes ago, theoneandonly7 said:

You just add 4 hdds to the system, then make a mirror pool in storage spaces. You don't need any extra parts.

which hard drives are best? should i go with wd red wd black or seagate ironwolf?

4 minutes ago, theoneandonly7 said:

which hard drives are best? should i go with wd red wd black or seagate ironwolf?

why do you care. you shouldn't do this anyways.

depends on the use of hdds, id probably go seagate barrcude for the 4tb single drive or wd blue.