FTC & EU Commission Zero in on NVIDIA GPP Calls for Investigation & Complaints

Honderdors
4 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

hang on something does add up

so they are taking action that isn't currently regulated, and by the time the laws are implemented GPP will have been over for years.

you cant change the laws to go back to convict for something that happened prior to the legislation being put in place.

Yes you can. It's called ex post facto law.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Notional said:

Yes you can.

No you can't lol. Enforcement starts after the law is created. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just now, App4that said:

Don't say things you know nothing about: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex_post_facto_law

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Just now, App4that said:

The government can do whatever they want, and will do whatever they want. They dont follow laws, they just try to operate within them for looks. 

Thats the real world.

2 minutes ago, Notional said:

Don't say things you know nothing about: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex_post_facto_law

Which are forbidden by the US constitution and others.

2 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

The government can do whatever they want, and will do whatever they want. They dont follow laws, they just try to operate within them for looks. 

Thats the real world.

Edgy. I hadn't shaved in awhile so appreciate it.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Which are forbidden by the US constitution and others.

The US isn't the entire world. Besides you don't have to outright make new laws. You can simply change what is needed to fulfil current laws by making new precedents.

26 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Im calling bs, my common sense already debunked the first sentence. Didnt read the rest.

Gold,  you're calling BS and you won't even read the post.   That explains why there is so much shit being posted on these forums. 

Do us all a favour, if you are not going to read the posts then don't respond to them.   

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 minutes ago, Notional said:

The US isn't the entire world. Besides you don't have to outright make new laws. You can simply change what is needed to fulfil current laws by making new precedents.

I said others, as in other constitiutions, spoilers it's most of them. 

But by all means get Europe to hold people accountable for laws that weren't in existence when the action happened. I look forward to east and West Germany being themselves again. 

I said others, as in other constitiutions, spoilers it's most of them. 

But by all means get Europe to hold people accountable for laws that weren't in existence when the action happened. I look forward to east and West Germany being themselves again. 

They already did when a new country enters the EU, the human rights automatically gets adopted ex post facto. Many laws that result in less harsh sentencing also generally gets implemented ex post facto.

But again, we are talking about corporations here, not human beings. Because humans have human rights. Companies, not so much.

5 minutes ago, Notional said:

They already did when a new country enters the EU, the human rights automatically gets adopted ex post facto. Many laws that result in less harsh sentencing also generally gets implemented ex post facto.

But again, we are talking about corporations here, not human beings. Because humans have human rights. Companies, not so much.

Companies have rights in the contries they do buisness in, as they're made up of people. Kinda like soylent green but not as yummy. 

Nvidia and any other large company would laugh at it. Guilty mind, and the action, need them both. You can't have a guilty mind if you don't know it's against the law. 

33 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

hang on something does add up

so they are taking action that isn't currently regulated, and by the time the laws are implemented GPP will have been over for years.

you cant change the laws to go back to convict for something that happened prior to the legislation being put in place.

for the most part that is true, the distinctive part that is different is if the act of what is wrong, was also illegal previous to the law being created. 

So lets say they found something in the GPP that was/is illegal right now and the new law makes other parts of the GPP illegal, then there is a problem, but the law can't change now and ex post facto change is not accepted and actually is against the Constitution.  In EU its a bit different, they can do it in varying degrees, but its all dependent on jurisdiction so yeah not like they can do much there either.

Companies have rights in the contries they do buisness in, as they're made up of people. Kinda like soylent green but not as yummy. 

Nvidia and any other large companies would laugh at it. Guilty mind, and the action, need them both. You can't have a guilty mind if you don't know it's against the law. 

Tell that to Microsoft, Google and Intel. Ok, sure some of them knew they were breaking the law, but still. Law is finicky and a complete greyscale. That is why a law degree takes so long to get, and why precedent is so important in law. It's simply not as black and white as people seem to think. NVidia and their army of lawyers might believe they upheld the law. But prosecutors and the courts might disagree.

Tell that to Microsoft, Google and Intel. Ok, sure some of them knew they were breaking the law, but still. Law is finicky and a complete greyscale. That is why a law degree takes so long to get, and why precedent is so important in law. It's simply not as black and white as people seem to think. NVidia and their army of lawyers might believe they upheld the law. But prosecutors and the courts might disagree.

The black and white part is the execution of the law,  That is easy to see, it has to be, they are very narrow in scope.  Without that nothing will ever get done.

It takes so long in the courts and getting the evidence because firstly people what to be pretty much 100% sure they will win, and the courts have their procedures that must be followed to give ample equality on both sides.

Just now, Notional said:

The law is gray after the law is created as to its interpretation. You can't just start making up laws and charging people for doing something before the law takes place. 

Well, you can. You just get invaded by other countries and your citizens liberated. 

Just now, Razor01 said:

The black and white part is the execution of the law,  That is easy to see, it has to be, they are very narrow in scope.  Without that nothing will ever get done.

That would be the letter of the law. Actual execution of the law relies heavily on precedent and sometimes even the spirit of the law. The EU courts has a nasty habit of manipulating the two, to the point of almost making new law (which no judge should). If the EU comission finds that NVidia has broken the law, then it doesn't matter what the law actually says. NVidia has no power in the say.

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

Well, you can. You just get invaded by other countries and your citizens liberated. 

Ah yes, it always ends well when 'Murica "liberates" people.

7 minutes ago, Notional said:

That would be the letter of the law. Actual execution of the law relies heavily on precedent and sometimes even the spirit of the law. The EU courts has a nasty habit of manipulating the two, to the point of almost making new law (which no judge should). If the EU comission finds that NVidia has broken the law, then it doesn't matter what the law actually says. NVidia has no power in the say.

Yeah they do, you know why in the EU wouldn't do this,  the EU commission must prove it, nV can sit back and just wait and put motion after motion in.

You have no idea how hard it is to prove something like that in the EU if the the FTC doesn't uncover the evidence first.

These cases cost multiple millions of dollars, even hundreds of millions, they will not do shit unless they have a 100% solid case.

You think its simple because a law is possibly broken, hell no, they are going to make sure it was broken and they can prove it without any doubt before going into a court room.  Everything is planned out and they also try to predict what the opposition will do and they will try to cover their asses with those moves too.

A lawsuit by AMD is easier to win than what you are saying.

Unless Nvidia has offices in the EU their decision doesn't matter. Worst the EU could do is block the sale of Nvidia products. That would go over well. 

Just now, Notional said:

Ah yes, it always ends well when 'Murica "liberates" people.

Hold on, I'm making a law where you can't say "Merica", I'd lawyer up if I was you. 

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

Hold on, I'm making a law where you can't say "Merica", I'd lawyer up if I was you. 

Hold on im making a law where you cant make laws, id lawyer up if i was you.

@App4that the 2nd ammendment allows me to purchase a full auto mini gun, but the government doesnt let me...

Just now, App4that said:

No problem, because I said 'Murica. Besides the intersectional seminists are way ahead of you. Everything they don't like is "hate" speech, and hate speech is illegal :P

3 minutes ago, Razor01 said:

Yeah they do, you know why in the EU the EU commission must prove it, nV can sit back and just want and put motion after motion in.

You have no idea how hard it is to prove something like that in the EU of the the FTC doesn't uncover the evidence first.

These cases cost multiple millions of dollars, even hundreds of millions, they will not do shit unless they have a 100% solid case.

You think is simple because a law is possibly broken, hell know, they are going to make sure it was broken and they can prove it without any doubt.

EUC can easily prove it. They can ask for full access to ALL communications between NVidia and other companies, as well as pull them into a trial to testify. Sure, if NVidia doesn't have EU offices, they can just deny and refuse, but that would just give them an instant guilty sentence. A company in an EU court is not necessarily innocent until proven guilty.

You keep bringing the FTC into it. The EUC has convicted companies with no involvement to the FTC.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Unless Nvidia has offices in the EU their decision doesn't matter. Worst the EU could do is block the sale of Nvidia products. That would go over well. 

Yes they could. That would not go well for NVidia.

Just now, Kamjam21xx said:

Hold on im making a law where you cant make laws, id lawyer up if i was you.

So, you admit how silly the idea of making up laws in order to charge a person who's already done the action not against the law at the time, is?

Just now, Notional said:

Yes they could. That would not go well for NVidia.

Wouldn't bother Nvidia at all, they'd sit back and let the board partners go to town on it.