The Samsung Galaxy J2 Pro is a smartphone that doesn't connect to the Internet

Samsung's latest phone is the Galaxy J2 Pro, which the South Korean manufacturer claims is "faithful to basic functions" supporting use for voice calling, SMS and camera however blocking use of 3G, 4G or WiFi. Samsung are targeting the device at students with an offline dictionary app preinstalled and "senior users who are sensitive to data charges". It will be priced at around $185 where it's sold in black and gold colours.

Specs:

• Unnamed 1.4GHz quad-core processor
  • 1.5GB RAM
  • 1440p 540p SAMOLED display
  • 2600mAh replacable battery
  • microSD slot

Links:

Edited by sr0n
qHD = 540p not 1440p

Little digression, it's qHD, not QHD. qHD is 540x960, while QHD is 1440x2560. It's confusing, I know :P

I think this is a great move from Samsung to help students get less distracted from the Internet, but I would not be surprised if this was a firmware flash away from being a fully featured Android device because, remember, Samsung does sell the J2 Pro (2018) in Europe as a fully featured smartphone.

I really have mixed opinions on this.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

good move, but, why so expensive?

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

Just now, Djole123 said:

Little digression, it's qHD, not QHD. qHD is 540x960, while QHD is 1440x2560. It's confusing, I know :P

I think this is a great move from Samsung to help students get less distracted from the Internet, but I would not be surprised if this was a firmware flash away from being a fully featured Android device because, remember, Samsung does sell the J2 Pro (2018) in Europe as a fully featured smartphone.

I really have mixed opinions on this.

Yep, quarter-HD, realised that thanks to Android Police commenters!

I also have mixed opinions... for older people I can understand - new technology is confusing to the older generation - but the Internet is quite useful to students for research or study.

Sounds shit. Once XDA users get their hands on one the abilities to be able to connect to wifi or 4G will be unlocked no doubt. Unless Samsung have blocked this on the hardware side.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Current Rig (Dominator II): 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3133 C15, AMD Ryzen 3 1200 at 4GHz, Coolermaster MasterLiquid Lite 120, ASRock B450M Pro4, AMD R9 280X, 120GB TCSunBow SSD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HSD, Corsair CX750M Grey Label, Windows 10 Pro, 2x CoolerMaster MasterFan Pro 120, Thermaltake Versa H18 Tempered Glass.

Previous Rig (Black Magic): 8GB DDR3 1600, AMD FX6300 OC'd to 4.5GHz, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Asus M5A78L-M PLUS /USB3, GTX 950 SC (former, it blew my PCIe lane so now on mobo graphics which is Radeon HD 3000 Series), 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM HDD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HDD (secondary), Corsair CX750M, Windows 8.1 Pro, 2x 120mm Red LED fans, Deepcool SMARTER case

My secondary rig (The Oldie): 4GB DDR2 800, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz, Stock Dell Cooler, Foxconn 0RY007, AMD Radeon HD 5450, 250GB Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management. UPDATE: SPECS UPGRADED DUE TO CASEMOD, 8GB DDR2 800, AMD Phenom X4 9650, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Biostar GF8200C M2+, AMD Radeon HD 7450 GDDR5 edition, Samsung Spinpoint 250GB 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management and support for non Dell boards.

Retired/Dead Rigs: The OG (retired) (First ever PC I used at 3 years old back in 2005) Current Specs: 2GB DDR2, Pentium M 770 @ 2.13GHz, 60GB IDE laptop HDD, ZorinOS 12 Ultimate x86. Originally 512mb DDR2, Pentium M 740 @ 1.73GHzm 60GB IDE laptop HDD and single boot XP Pro. The Craptop (dead), 2gb DDR3, Celeron n2840 @ 2.1GHz, 50GB eMMC chip, Windows 10 Pro. Nightrider (dead and cannibalized for Dominator II): Ryzen 3 1200, Gigabyte A320M HD2, 8GB DDR4, XFX Ghost Core Radeon HD 7770, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 (2010), 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Corsair CX750M Green, Deepcool SMARTER, Windows 10 Home.

1 hour ago, YedZed said:

good move, but, why so expensive?

its meant for kids and old people. 

parents will buy it making it cheaper in the long run due to lower data plans, and everyone tries to scam old people, so no need to reduce the price for them, they're used to it

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Please edit your post to match Tech News posting guidelines or it may be moved out of Tech News.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11724-posting-guidelines-read-before-posting/

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 hour ago, sr0n said:

Samsung's latest phone is the Galaxy J2 Pro, which the South Korean manufacturer claims is "faithful to basic functions" supporting use for voice calling, SMS and camera however blocking use of 3G, 4G or WiFi. Samsung are targeting the device at students with an offline dictionary app preinstalled and "senior users who are sensitive to data charges". It will be priced at around $185 where it's sold in black and gold colours.

Specs:

• Unnamed 1.4GHz quad-core processor
  • 1.5GB RAM
  • 1440p 540p SAMOLED display
  • 2600mAh replacable battery
  • microSD slot

Links:

I bought one a few days ago. Topic is misleading AF

• supports 3G and 4G
  • has wifi
  • has a Snapdragon 425

You got the screen, battery and inclusion of a micro SD slot correct though.
https://www.optus.com.au/shop/prepaidmobile/samsung/galaxy-j2-pro

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_j2_pro_(2018)-8904.php

1 hour ago, goodtofufriday said:

Why block wifi?

1 hour ago, xriqn said:

Sounds shit. Once XDA users get their hands on one the abilities to be able to connect to wifi or 4G will be unlocked no doubt. Unless Samsung have blocked this on the hardware side.

It has wifi+4G, and its actually a breath of fresh air after using a ZTE Fit 4G Smart for the last 3-4 years. It makes that phone+my Tegra 3 tablets feel slow+buggy AF, and the screen has a similar DPI to my Transformer Infinity TF700T so the resolution is not bad at all-you can't easily discern the pixels unless you get around 10cm away.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

• supports 3G and 4G
  • has wifi
  • has a Snapdragon 425

It has wifi+4G, and its actually a breath of fresh air after using a ZTE Fit 4G Smart for the last 3-4 years. It makes that phone+my Tegra 3 tablets feel slow+buggy AF, and the screen has a similar DPI to my Transformer Infinity TF700T so the resolution is not bad at all-you can't easily discern the pixels unless you get around 10cm away.

It has been confirmed the device has NO wifi or 3G/4G, it is BLOCKED.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Current Rig (Dominator II): 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3133 C15, AMD Ryzen 3 1200 at 4GHz, Coolermaster MasterLiquid Lite 120, ASRock B450M Pro4, AMD R9 280X, 120GB TCSunBow SSD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HSD, Corsair CX750M Grey Label, Windows 10 Pro, 2x CoolerMaster MasterFan Pro 120, Thermaltake Versa H18 Tempered Glass.

Previous Rig (Black Magic): 8GB DDR3 1600, AMD FX6300 OC'd to 4.5GHz, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Asus M5A78L-M PLUS /USB3, GTX 950 SC (former, it blew my PCIe lane so now on mobo graphics which is Radeon HD 3000 Series), 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM HDD, 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-9YN166 HDD (secondary), Corsair CX750M, Windows 8.1 Pro, 2x 120mm Red LED fans, Deepcool SMARTER case

My secondary rig (The Oldie): 4GB DDR2 800, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz, Stock Dell Cooler, Foxconn 0RY007, AMD Radeon HD 5450, 250GB Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management. UPDATE: SPECS UPGRADED DUE TO CASEMOD, 8GB DDR2 800, AMD Phenom X4 9650, Zalman CNPS5X Performa, Biostar GF8200C M2+, AMD Radeon HD 7450 GDDR5 edition, Samsung Spinpoint 250GB 7200RPM HDD, Antec HCG 400M 400W Semi Modular PSU, Windows 8.1 Pro, 80mm Cooler Master fan, Dell Inspiron 530 Case modded for better cable management and support for non Dell boards.

Retired/Dead Rigs: The OG (retired) (First ever PC I used at 3 years old back in 2005) Current Specs: 2GB DDR2, Pentium M 770 @ 2.13GHz, 60GB IDE laptop HDD, ZorinOS 12 Ultimate x86. Originally 512mb DDR2, Pentium M 740 @ 1.73GHzm 60GB IDE laptop HDD and single boot XP Pro. The Craptop (dead), 2gb DDR3, Celeron n2840 @ 2.1GHz, 50GB eMMC chip, Windows 10 Pro. Nightrider (dead and cannibalized for Dominator II): Ryzen 3 1200, Gigabyte A320M HD2, 8GB DDR4, XFX Ghost Core Radeon HD 7770, 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 (2010), 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Corsair CX750M Green, Deepcool SMARTER, Windows 10 Home.

5 hours ago, xriqn said:

-snip-

To go with the links to pages about the phone, photos of my Samsung Galaxy J2 Pro+box+cover and the ZTE Fit 4G Smart that replaced it:
5ad11be68c7f9_IMG_20180414_0704141.thumb.jpg.e70ff6b030037b778ffa1e950e4be7ba.jpg

5ad11c09d688f_IMG_20180414_0704201.thumb.jpg.2674db2c861a4f84976cdb039a67fbf0.jpg

PMSL

10 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

WTF is wrong with just disabling data and wifi on a normal phone? Why must you cripple a phone for a fairly narrow use case?

Here I have an even more basic and rudimentary "smart" device for you, you stupid fucking hipsters

Even though this phone does connect to the internet, The idea of a phone that physically cannot connect to 4g/wifi is appealing to me because of the sheer amount of malware and spyware out there that allegedly turns such features on even when it says they are off. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Even though this phone does connect to the internet, The idea of a phone that physically cannot connect to 4g/wifi is appealing to me because of the sheer amount of malware and spyware out there that allegedly turns such features on even when it says they are off. 

The solution to a shitty OS that allows that is not regression to using basically an 1100.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

The solution to a shitty OS that allows that is not regression to using basically an 1100.

If you can't stop organisations and companies from using said technology to harvest your data then what do you suggest is the solution?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

50 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

• supports 3G and 4G
  • has wifi
  • has a Snapdragon 425

42 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Fucking fine. I'll post from my phone next.

This is a different version of the existing J2 Pro 2018 (with Internet connectivity) that is launching only in Korea.

I could start a list of links with stores selling it outside SK BTW...

PMSL

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I could start a list of links with stores selling it outside SK BTW...

From The Verge:

There are no plans to sell the phone outside of South Korea yet

This is the existing J2 Pro (the one you have) that does have Internet that is sold outside South Korea.

15 minutes ago, mr moose said:

If you can't stop organisations and companies from using said technology to harvest your data then what do you suggest is the solution?

This question is malformed: Accepting that you can't do anything about it isn't absolute truth. This puts you in a path to becoming a Unabomber basically.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, sr0n said:

From The Verge:

This is the existing J2 Pro (the one you have) that does have Internet that is sold outside South Korea.

So its this shit again: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12614/nvidia-quietly-rolls-out-slower-lower-tdp-geforce-gt-1030-with-ddr4-vram

And not really a J2 Pro (or a J2 at all looking at previous years).

PMSL

4 hours ago, sr0n said:

From The Verge:

The article doesn't clearly specify it is a new version.  Easy to see the confusion here.   Especially given how wrong most media outlets are with this type of thing. 

4 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

This question is malformed: Accepting that you can't do anything about it isn't absolute truth. This puts you in a path to becoming a Unabomber basically.

It may not be absolute, but it is damn near 99.99% and only a fool would assume otherwise given all the evidence we have and the debates regarding FBI backdoors and shit like it.

4 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

So its this shit again: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12614/nvidia-quietly-rolls-out-slower-lower-tdp-geforce-gt-1030-with-ddr4-vram

And not really a J2 Pro (or a J2 at all looking at previous years).

fortunately if it is only available in SK no one here will get fooled by it.

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

The article doesn't clearly specify it is a new version.  Easy to see the confusion here.   Especially given how wrong most media outlets are with this type of thing. 

Samsung hasn't specified it's a different version. They both have the exact same name.

1 minute ago, sr0n said:

Samsung hasn't specified it's a different version. They both have the exact same name.

I t has to be a different version if it is the same product with features removed.  Exactly as @Dabombinable pointed out.