Should i buy a used card from a miner ?

xXxSourcexXx

So i have a question for your GPU experts ;)

Here in Israel there is a new trend of of miners that are selling cards after they built a rig and couldn't make a profit out of it...

And i have a couple of questions:

1) Should i even consider buying a card like this?

2) How can i test it properly? because i do know the when you mine using GPU's it gives them a heavy blow...

3) How much the discount for this kind of cards should be?

I would love to read your comments , thanks everyone....

AMD Ryzen 2600 / Asus Prime B-350 Plus / Asus Xonar Essence STX / 16 GB Kingston HyperX 2400 MHZ / Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming 8GB / Corsair DX850W / 250 GB 850 Evo SSD + 3TB (In Various Hard Drives) / Logitech G710+ Keyboard / Razer Abyssus Essential / Cooler Master HEF 932 

I'd say it depends on how long they did it for, at max I'd say 25% the price of what you could get if you were just gaming with it.

If it were overclocked, which in this case WOULD actually kill it faster I'd assume, would make it's value go down even more.

If you can get a really good deal on a card then yeah, you should get it.

4 minutes ago, xXxSourcexXx said:

So i have a question for your GPU experts ;)

Here in Israel there is a new trend of of miners that are selling cards after they built a rig and couldn't make a profit out of it...

And i have a couple of questions:

2) How can i test it properly? because i do know the when you mine using GPU's it gives them a heavy blow...

I would love to read your comments , thanks everyone....

first off, this isn't an Isreal thing, its all over, now onto your questions.

1. no

2. run benchmarks for an hour minimum, if ANYTHING goes wrong, bail 

3. depends on how much random PCBs are worth in Isreal, i wouldn't expect an electronics recycling company to give you much more for it than EB Games/Gamestop would give you for a brand new game.

"Every program needs 2 things: 1: A dark theme... and 2: A 'Fuck off!' button, no exceptions!" -Me

2 minutes ago, ZcanKal said:

I'd say it depends on how long they did it for, at max I'd say 25% the price of what you could get if you were just gaming with it.

If it were overclocked, which in this case WOULD actually kill it faster I'd assume, would make it's value go down even more.

The seller says that the cards weren't overclocked , and i must mention that they are suppose to be under warranty...

But because of the shortage in VGA supply the prices are high even when we are talking about mining cards. i know that the prices will go down , the question is should i just wait or is it still worth it...

AMD Ryzen 2600 / Asus Prime B-350 Plus / Asus Xonar Essence STX / 16 GB Kingston HyperX 2400 MHZ / Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming 8GB / Corsair DX850W / 250 GB 850 Evo SSD + 3TB (In Various Hard Drives) / Logitech G710+ Keyboard / Razer Abyssus Essential / Cooler Master HEF 932 

1 minute ago, xXxSourcexXx said:

The seller says that the cards weren't overclocked , and i must mention that they are suppose to be under warranty...

But because of the shortage in VGA supply the prices are high even when we are talking about mining cards. i know that the prices will go down , the question is should i just wait or is it still worth it...

What's the price (preferably in usd)

I would consider a mining card no different than someone who regularly plays games on their PC. As far as I'm concerned, both are hard uses for a GPU. But to answer the question:

14 minutes ago, xXxSourcexXx said:

It depends on what the market looks like. But I wouldn't immediately drop every and all mining cards. I might be more picky though

Not really as much as gaming. Sure people aren't gaming 24/7 (well, I don't know considering I know someone who idles on FFXIV), but assuming the person is trying to minimize cost, they're going to baby their setup and run their cards as cool as possible while maximizing their hash rate. If a mining GPU averaged 60C 24/7 in use, that's no worse than someone who gamed six hours a day on average and had the card reach 80C (the rule of thumb is every 10C drops the expected life by half).

As far as testing the card, run it through a suite of benchmarks like 3D Mark or whatnot for an extended period of time. If it doesn't show problems, it's likely good.

It depends on the card, its age, and its relative performance to what's available now. For example, if it's a GTX 980 on the line, then I don't consider it worth more than $150, since the GTX 1060 6B (where it floats at in terms of performance) launched at $250.

Also start at MSRP. I don't care if people think their card is "worth more" because the market price went up. It's only worth as much as the manufacturer says it's valued at.

3 minutes ago, JustMATT said:

first off, this isn't an Isreal thing, its all over, now onto your questions.

1. no

2. run benchmarks for an hour minimum, if ANYTHING goes wrong, bail 

3. depends on how much random PCBs are worth in Isreal, i wouldn't expect an electronics recycling company to give you much more for it than EB Games/Gamestop would give you for a brand new game.

I know a lot of benchmarking programs , which one would you recommend the most? and the prices here are just insane , a brand new 1070 costs more the 700$ after taxes...

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I would consider a mining card no different than someone who regularly plays games on their PC. As far as I'm concerned, both are hard uses for a GPU. But to answer the question:

It depends on what the market looks like. But I wouldn't immediately drop every and all mining cards. I might be more picky though

Not really as much as gaming. Sure people aren't gaming 24/7 (well, I don't know considering I know someone who idles on FFXIV), but assuming the person is trying to minimize cost, they're going to baby their setup and run their cards as cool as possible while maximizing their hash rate. If a mining GPU averaged 60C 24/7 in use, that's no worse than someone who gamed six hours a day on average and had the card reach 80C (the rule of thumb is every 10C drops the expected life by half).

As far as testing the card, run it through a suite of benchmarks like 3D Mark or whatnot for an extended period of time. If it doesn't show problems, it's likely good.

It depends on the card, its age, and its relative performance to what's available now. For example, if it's a GTX 980 on the line, then I don't consider it worth more than $150, since the GTX 1060 6B (where it floats at in terms of performance) launched at $250.

Also start at MSRP. I don't care if people think their card is "worth more" because the market price went up. It's only worth as much as the manufacturer says it's valued at.

Like i said the main issues is the MSRP , cards costs much more right now , a brand new 1070 will cost more then 700$

Yes, you can buy it.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

11 minutes ago, ZcanKal said:

25% of regular price. Yeah right.

Intel 5930k/ asus x99 deluxe II/ 32gb crucial ballistix ram/ Evga 1080 ti SC2/ enermax air cooler/ enthoo luxe case

5 minutes ago, ZcanKal said:

What's the price (preferably in usd)

He is willing to sell a 1070 for 520$ when a new costs about 720$ after taxes...

Just now, xXxSourcexXx said:

He is willing to sell a 1070 for 520$ when a new costs about 720$ after taxes...

Holy crap, are the taxes high or is the shipping expensive?  Over here in the Northwest of the U.S., a 1070 ti costs about $570 usd.

That's not MSRP. That's market price. The MSRP of a GTX 1070 is ~$400.

So if i can drop the price around 400 and test it properly then it's a good bet ?

Just now, ZcanKal said:

Holy crap, are the taxes high or is the shipping expensive?  Over here in the Northwest of the U.S., a 1070 ti costs about $570 usd.

In Israel we pay 17% in taxes...

You'd certainly getting a better deal than most :P

Thanks for the advice about the pricing issue , but i want to hear more opinions about this type of cards in general ;)

6 minutes ago, xXxSourcexXx said:

Thanks for the advice about the pricing issue , but i want to hear more opinions about this type of cards in general ;)

Ask for pictures of their mining setup. If it looks like a cardboard box special shoved into a closet, the price drops further or dump the seller.

The only thing to worry about is the status of the fans. Miners often run them at full speed, or at least 70% to keep the temps low. This means fans are most likely to fail with these cards. As for the GPU (the compute core) and the rest of the stuff on the PCB, I wont be worried too much about it. I call that as prove of stability, since any manufacturing faults would be exposed when mined for so long.

Oh, and dusty cards are out of question.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

The only thing to worry about is the status of the fans. Miners often run them at full speed, or at least 70% to keep the temps low. This means fans are most likely to fail with these cards. As for the GPU (the compute core) and the rest of the stuff on the PCB, I wont be worried too much about it. I call that as prove of stability, since any manufacturing faults would be exposed when mined for so long.

Oh, and dusty cards are out of question.

Thanks for additional information that i can use ;) , i want to collect as much data as possible before trying to negotiate with the seller...

It’s absolutely no different then getting a used card from anywhere else. Would just be cleaner compared to the average pc person who doesn’t know enough about PCs. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

If you can get it for 2/3 the price of new local I would say yes. I don't think mining would be worse than gaming, in fact mining is generally open bench and should run cooler.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430