Buy gtx1080 or wait for volta?

Should I go ahead and purchase a GeForce gtx1080 now or wait for the new series of GPUs (volta) expected to release later this year? Looking for whether differences in performance/cost will play a significant role.

Given that rumors point to the GTX 11 series using GDDR6, msrp might be around the price you can buy a 1080 for currently. I would wait. Worst case scenario, buy the gtx 1080 then if the performance of the newer cards aren't worth the price. 

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

27 minutes ago, John Dough said:

What's your current PC and monitor resolution/refresh rate? Or are you building an entire new PC?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

30 minutes ago, John Dough said:

Should I go ahead and purchase a GeForce gtx1080 now or wait for the new series of GPUs (volta) expected to release later this year? Looking for whether differences in performance/cost will play a significant role.

do you actually need a graphics card right now, or can you wait? that's the question... :)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

It's hard to say since Nvidia hasn't announced their new cards or how much better they will be.  If the gpu prices went back to what they were in November I'd say go for it.

I bought a 1080 in November and I'm very happy with it.

15 hours ago, Majinhoju said:

It's hard to say since Nvidia hasn't announced their new cards or how much better they will be.  If the gpu prices went back to what they were in November I'd say go for it.

I bought a 1080 in November and I'm very happy with it.

Just bought 1 for $549 ? should hold me up until the 1180 ti comes out

I'd wait. Given the insane prices, a dumping of a new architecture should help lower prices as a whole. And even if not, the 1170 should be about as good as a 1080, but for a lot less. Under most circumstances I'd just jump now considering nothing's been announced, but if you can literally save hundreds of dollars, I'd wait. 

Unless you have a GT710, then by all means get your ass on Amazon now.

Ryzen 7 2700x, MSI Gaming X RX 480 8gb, Asus ROG X470 Gaming, 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000, 120gb Kingston SSD (Boot) + 1TB Seagate Barracuda.

I would wait for the 11/20 series to come. You should wait too if you can afford to wait. As far as I can see, its a win-win situation to wait.

1. The new cards are faaaast: Yeah, go ahead, buy a new card for marginaly more money, or you might even be able to get a 1170 (2070) with the same performance.
  2. The new cards are like intel 6xxx and 7xxx. In this case, buy the 1080 wwhich will be cheaper.  

If it’s gonna do what you think it will do for you, go for it. 

Id rather get a 1080 now for cheap compared to some new card that I still couldn’t use with such a weak system. 

Then pay double, assuming I can even get one on or after launch. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

A couple of weeks ago Hynix said they were three months from mass production of GDDR6, so you could be waiting a while. If you have a crap gpu right now and have the money, might as well go for the GTX 1080 instead of waiting 4-5 months to be able to game on your system. If you have a half way reasonable gpu to game on right now might as well hold out a few months for a new architecture considering Pascal and the GTX 1080 are nearly two years old now.

Awesome thanks for the advice. Think I'm gonna wait, I can get by with my current setup for the next few months.