RSync to Off-site Server

Hey guys,

Okay, so I have a slight issue. I'm busy backing up data from one HP Prolient Microserver to another using Rsync over SSh. Problem is, the internet connection is pretty dismal (usually less than 1mbps upload in the office), so I thought it would be best to run the initial backup in the office and then just incremenal backups over the web, as the amount of data that changes on a daily basis isn't too much.

Now here is where I hit my first issue: The Rsync does fine in the office and over the web, however, it seems to not see the files I copied in the office, so it wants to copy the entire bulk of files again, which is going to take ages. Am I just doing something wrong, or is it just the way Rsync is designed? If I run the backup in the office over the local network again, it just copies the changed files, so its definitely working in that regard. It just seems the change in the address of the rsync command causes the change to occur.

The one server is running FreeNAS and the secondary server to which the data is copied runs Ubuntu Server.

The -c - option, ie. "skip based on checksum, not mod-time & size", might do the trick. Oh, and I forgot to ask what method did you copy the files in the office? Depending on the method you used, it might have changed mod-times and that could cause the issue.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

43 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

The -c - option, ie. "skip based on checksum, not mod-time & size", might do the trick. Oh, and I forgot to ask what method did you copy the files in the office? Depending on the method you used, it might have changed mod-times and that could cause the issue.

I used RSync in the office, so hopefully the -c option does the trick. I'll run it in a few minutes and see what it does

Thanks!