LTT video suggestion (I'm aware it's stupid)

RollTime

Would it be possible, using an overclocked Core i9 7980XE, to boil a small pot of water? Cpus get to about 100 deg Celsius max when the heatsink isn't functioning properly, which is theoretically enough to boil water. What if you ran a (very toughly built) water cooling loop using the pot as a reservoir, and disabled thermal throttling (I'm assuming there's a way to do this, but I'm unsure)? If you insulate the pot there's nowhere for the heat to go, and the water should boil. My only worry is the components of the loop, I'd hate to see the tubing melt. Everyone let me know what you all think of this.

Maybe you could cook hot dogs.

it's time

UFDTech did this with Coffee Lake.... He made.. Coffee..

I'm sure a more powerful processor could heat the water up faster, but I think the thermal limitations would prevent it from getting hot enough to actually cook an egg or anything. But I could easily be wrong.

4 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I'm sure a more powerful processor could heat the water up faster, but I think the thermal limitations would prevent it from getting hot enough to actually cook an egg or anything. But I could easily be wrong.

Damn, every bad idea I have...

it's time

making a build with a intel pentuim and 1 fan and 500gb space (what i used to have)

You could use a vacuum chamber to lower the pressure, allowing it to boil at a safer temperature like 80 °C.  It would still take a very long time however.  Assuming the chip outputs 250 W of heat, you'll bring a 1 L pot of water from 20 °C to boiling point (80 °C) in ~16.7 minutes, and boil the water away completely over the next ~2.5 hours or so.

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

15 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You could use a vacuum chamber to lower the pressure, allowing it to boil at a safer temperature like 80 °C.  It would still take a very long time however (I will edit in calcs soon)

That’s a good point. However, it seems like enclosing part of all of a system in a vacuum chamber might be taking this a *tad* too seriously.

it's time

Just now, RollTime said:

That’s a good point. However, it seems like enclosing part of all of a system in a vacuum chamber might be taking this a *tad* too seriously.

Well I don't like the idea of having the CPU at 100 °C though.  Perhaps if they used a different fluid like 3M Novec though.  That's what it's designed for - boiling at a temperature safe for computers so you can take advantage of the phase change to keep things at a steady temperature.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Like pizza heater PC revisited?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, Zion_ said:

making a build with a intel pentuim and 1 fan and 500gb space (what i used to have)

Fermi does this better...

lets get a really powerful one, then overclock it, then stick the die to a pot, put water in it, stress the GPU as much as possible,  then have boiled water...

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

6 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well I don't like the idea of having the CPU at 100 °C though.  Perhaps if they used a different fluid like 3M Novec though.  That's what it's designed for - boiling at a temperature safe for computers so you can take advantage of the phase change to keep things at a steady temperature.

But that kind of ruins the point of this, which is to boil water.

it's time

3 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Like pizza heater PC revisited?

Turned up to 11.

it's time

you can cook on intel chips, yes. 

5 hours ago, RollTime said:

But that kind of ruins the point of this, which is to boil water.

Well I'm sure it could be done, it would just take a very long time. As I said above, you'll bring a 1 L pot of water from 20 °C to boiling point (80 °C) in ~16.7 minutes, and boil the water away completely over the next ~2.5 hours or so - and that's assuming no heat is lost to the surroundings during the test, which of course isn't true, so in reality it will actually be even longer than this.  Idk if anyone is going to want to let a very high end expensive chip sit at 100 C for hours on end

13 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1&biw=1920&bih=915&tbm=vid&ei=_vzMWqGALebIjwTit78w&q=cooking+with+cpu&oq=cooking+with+cpu&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0j0i7i30k1.9454.9454.0.9782.1.1.0.0.0.0.64.64.1.1.0....0...1c..64.psy-ab..0.1.62....0.bZp_s4G2-QE

Without proper cooling a CPU gets to about the same temperature as a stove on Low.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well I'm sure it could be done, it would just take a very long time. As I said above, you'll bring a 1 L pot of water from 20 °C to boiling point (80 °C) in ~16.7 minutes, and boil the water away completely over the next ~2.5 hours or so - and that's assuming no heat is lost to the surroundings during the test, which of course isn't true, so in reality it will actually be even longer than this.  Idk if anyone is going to want to let a very high end expensive chip sit at 100 C for hours on end

Damn you, entropy!

Also, I’m 100% sure Linus is.

it's time

6 hours ago, The Viking said:

you can cook on intel chips, yes. 

There’s no loop there, though. But it does prove this possible.

it's time

3 hours ago, ZcanKal said:

You don't need a core i9, you just need a pentium 4 or a GTX 480.

Yeah come to think of it this might make more sense to try with a 480.  By default, they will reach something like 105 rather than 100 iirc, and they're used to it xD Also, if you kill it, it wouldn't exactly be a big loss since they're not particularly expensive these days.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah come to think of it this might make more sense to try with a 480.  By default, they will reach something like 105 rather than 100 iirc, and they're used to it xD Also, if you kill it, it wouldn't exactly be a big loss since they're not particularly expensive these days.

But where’s the fun in breaking something that doesn’t cost over a thousand dollars?

it's time

8 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well I'm sure it could be done, it would just take a very long time. As I said above, you'll bring a 1 L pot of water from 20 °C to boiling point (80 °C) in ~16.7 minutes, and boil the water away completely over the next ~2.5 hours or so

Yet you don't need 1 liter, though. Even if you don't want an espresso, ~250ml should be enough to brew some coffee.

Maybe one could get the smallest mocca pot, an perhaps try to use its valve in order to fit some form of suction to at least temporarily lower its inner pressure, facilitating the evaporation. The downside is that you would really need to evaporate all the water, whereas you don't really need to boil water in order to brew coffee - "hot enough" water will produce "brewed enough" coffee :P 

2 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Yet you don't need 1 liter, though. Even if you don't want an espresso, ~250ml should be enough to brew some coffee.

Maybe one could get the smallest mocca pot, an perhaps try to use its valve in order to fit some form of suction to at least temporarily lower its inner pressure, facilitating the evaporation. The downside is that you would really need to evaporate all the water, whereas you don't really need to boil water in order to brew coffee - "hot enough" water will produce "brewed enough" coffee :P 

Idk what the goal of this is, if it's making a cup of coffee or boiling hotdogs, or just for the sake of boiling water so I just picked a nice round amount more or less randomly.

On 4/9/2018 at 10:20 PM, Ryujin2003 said:

more powerful processor

AMD FX cpu's are heaters in themselves

why not use a few on a enterprise board if its possible

if not then use a higher wattage cpu on a 2,3,4 cpu mobo

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Idk what the goal of this is, if it's making a cup of coffee or boiling hotdogs, or just for the sake of boiling water so I just picked a nice round amount more or less randomly.

You are right, the OP is about boiling water. I don't know why my mind made it all about making coffee (mmm, maybe it's trying to tell me something... :P)

Then you could use the steam to run a turbine that runs a generator that gives power to the pc! Excellent!! ???

2 hours ago, Rambo said:

Then you could use the steam to run a turbine that runs a generator that gives power to the pc! Excellent!! ???

PeRPeTuAl mOtIOn!1shiftone

it's time