Dept of Homeland Security wants to create a database of journalists, bloggers and social media creators.

16 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

This is the same DHS who wants a database of social media accounts of tourists visiting America https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/24/dhs-social-media-visitors-proposal/

When you come through into the USA, as well with other countries, your social media is checked to make sure you aren't affiliated with any type activity. If your FB wall is filled with AQ beheadings, they probably want to know about that.

16 hours ago, DickieIam said:

It's not like we didn't know DHS has been surveiling us since 9/11 but given this particular administrations disdain for "mainstream media" and other dissenting groups or organizations, it's troubling that this leak would surface now. And again, it is common knowledge that DHS actively surveils people and organizations but for this to come out as new news right now. Given the attention being focused on Facebook and other social media platforms it's hard not to think the worst.

If you have an online presence that is already public data, I don't get the big deal. You don't want your information looked at by anyone, done be a public figure. Additionally, this looks like it's geares today's defense contractors or other type of entities, which would mean this announcement had probably been in process way before Trump was elected, which would mean it's something that would've been approved while Obama was still in office. The government is slow. New contact deals are generally years behind.

15 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Dept of homeland surveillance and censorship.

Ma'am, did you just post a tweet to voice your discontent with the current administration? You are under arrest for conspiring against the Fuhrer.

We will need access to all your home security cameras and monitoring devices to ensure you do not endanger the lives of your kids.

Just what they would be looking for. If you start having violent riots or other activities that is linked to public media people inciting this activity based on whatever information that want, that is what you're looking for. Or could even use it to try and monitor hotspots of domestic terrorism or other violent hategroup activity.

Otherwise, the federal government doesn't give a crap about the Joneses, unless they are planning violent acts of domestic or foreign terrorism...

Side note, it's freaking crazy how people get a tin foil hat with any government thing, yet don't think twice about handing their lives over to social media groups. Despite popular belief, politicians don't control things, it's the freaking lobbyists.. you know, the ones profiting of your publicly available social media data...

I don't understand people freaking out about a database of publicly available information. The practice of collecting news pieces relevant to a particular public organization, but even if it wasn't, there's nothing special about organizing the available information in a database.

Sure, the DHS may have all sort of semi-clandestine information collection and surveillance practices for all we know, but none of it is reflected in this news piece.

I mean, where does "privacy" enter the picture in "monitoring" the news that, you know, you publish... as in willingly making them public...

If the information is already out there I don't see the problem... let's keep the outrage for things that deserve it. If they went out of their way to get that information then it would be a problem.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

probably for a good cause, you guys know how willingly tend to step over the line quite often sometimes .

Details separate people.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

If the information is already out there I don't see the problem... let's keep the outrage for things that deserve it. If they went out of their way to get that information then it would be a problem.

Well like my local entity that does it, if I'm paying for it through my taxes I expect them to actually do something with that money. Wouldn't seem like a good use of tax money to give to an agency that isn't doing anything or isn't allowed to.

Like recently here when people got all up in arms about our GCSB conducting espionage activities, all I could think is if I'm paying for spies there better damn well be spies lol.

12 hours ago, leadeater said:

Well like my local entity that does it, if I'm paying for it through my taxes I expect them to actually do something with that money. Wouldn't seem like a good use of tax money to give to an agency that isn't doing anything or isn't allowed to.

Like recently here when people got all up in arms about our GCSB conducting espionage activities, all I could think is if I'm paying for spies there better damn well be spies lol.

You're right, but I also wouldn't want my taxes to go towards stripping other people's civil rights :P there has to be some middle ground...?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 12:03 AM, Canada EH said:

Yeah I wouldnt trust what they are saying, that that is normal, they are known liars.

It goes beyond taxes, they want to see what the content creators and users of forums are saying/typing. I bet Google hands over info on Youtube video usage. Especially that east indian content and stuff that are militia type within the usa, skinheads and such.

When you started using google/youtube you also gave them permission to sell your data to third-party companies, its how they make ad revenue.

killing freedom in the name of "security"

America first, then the rest of the world, tbh what a shit future is coming

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

On 4/9/2018 at 6:42 AM, RAM555789 said:

When you started using google/youtube you also gave them permission to sell your data to third-party companies, its how they make ad revenue.

Yup thats why I use VPN and have never created an account. Whats even worse is Facebook, real name, real friends, I never used any of that, but I gave in. After watching a 2017 Netflix or was it PBS, show on what the companies can do and who tracks you, I def will be deleting now.