Why did AMD make a rx 500 series When the rx 400 series is the same?

Ironi

Well iTS not the same. I mean, the 500 series have 1 fps more ?. Can someone tell me why? The rx 470/80 were fine right?

Soon building: Shardedge

CPU 

GPU Asus Strix RX470 4GB

SSD 128GB

HDD Seagate 2TB

PSU Corsair CX450M

RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz

CASE Corsair Crystal 460x

MOBO MSI Pc Mate B350M 

Maybe they started to get better silicon out of the manufacturer process, and decided to get a little bit of press buzz instead of just silently delivering better RX400 series cards.

My guess is that whenever a company does a rebrand it is just an attempt at getting some air time with reviewers, etc, while they're still working on the next real new product.

The 500 series is to the 400 series as Kaby Lake is to Skylake.

Basically they have some slight improvements in architecture.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The 500 series is to the 400 series as Kaby Lake is to Skylake.

Basically they have some slight improvements in architecture.

Let's not forget the 7970 to the 280x and the 7950 to the 280!

AMD have a history of re-branding old cards.

The R9 280x is the 7970 GHz edition, the R9 280 is the same as the 7950 and the R9 380 is just an overclocked r9 285.

it's not just rebranded. Rx580 is 15% faster with some tweaks around.

Though do you really care? you can't buy the 400 series anymore, so new buyers get a better product. A bit like Ryzen refresh.

There were a few issues with the 400 series anyway, such as a few cooling issues, etc etc that got fixed/improved with the 500 series.

I had a rx480 then got the 580. Differences aren't huge, especially fps-wise, but they run a bit cooler/silent and the design on the nitro+ from sapphire is nicer xD

10 hours ago, AndibNZ said:

AMD have a history of re-branding old cards.

Its not like nVidia doesn't do the same.

Like GTX 680 -> 770 and many many more. In the Beginning of the 600 series they still sold old Fermi shit.

Now the reason for that is easy:
Because their Customers demand it. Not you but the big Assembler because they can advertize it as new...

and the R9 380 is just an overclocked r9 285.

No, there are also other things like bigger Memory, higher clocks...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

33 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, there are also other things like bigger Memory, higher clocks...

higher clocks=overclocked.

As for memory, the 380 had both a 2GB (like the 285) and a 4GB version.

On 4/6/2018 at 11:30 PM, The Viking said:

it's not just rebranded. Rx580 is 15% faster with some tweaks around.

Though do you really care? you can't buy the 400 series anymore, so new buyers get a better product. A bit like Ryzen refresh.

There were a few issues with the 400 series anyway, such as a few cooling issues, etc etc that got fixed/improved with the 500 series.

I had a rx480 then got the 580. Differences aren't huge, especially fps-wise, but they run a bit cooler/silent and the design on the nitro+ from sapphire is nicer xD

i can buy a used 400 tho

Soon building: Shardedge

CPU 

GPU Asus Strix RX470 4GB

SSD 128GB

HDD Seagate 2TB

PSU Corsair CX450M

RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz

CASE Corsair Crystal 460x

MOBO MSI Pc Mate B350M 

AMD always does this. Nvidia releases a whole new set of GPUs every 2-3 years, but AMD releases yearly iterations that improve upon the original architecture. The end result is the same, as in AMD's 3 year cycle will basically match Nvidia's, but they just give us small refreshes inbetween.

The RX560 was quite a bit better than the 460 though, as they unlocked more stream processors from what I believe. Otherwise, it's just a 100 mhz bump for all, at the cost of some power. Getting a 580 to 1500mhz is somewhat common, but getting a 480 to even 1400 was rare. Mine could only hit 1375 before crashing constantly.

Ryzen 7 2700x, MSI Gaming X RX 480 8gb, Asus ROG X470 Gaming, 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000, 120gb Kingston SSD (Boot) + 1TB Seagate Barracuda.

• 3 months later...

Sorry, to necropost.  Newbie here.  Hello from South Africa!

I agree with the post above before this one; AMD doesn't act like NVIDIA in their release and marketing strategy.  They are more incremental.  NVIDIA, in fact, follows BMW's marketing strategy to the tee.

You ever noticed, when BMW releases its newest model it's always the most desirable, like a 530i or the 700 series.  This gets the upper middle class salivating that can't afford them waiting for the 300 series and some of them buy into the M5 or 550i and taking on debt.  Either way, they score and make lots of money.  I realise a car is more expensive than a GPU, but humour me.  Then at the perfect moment they release the 300-series while the iron is hot and they look and perform hot too.  I didn't hear of a GTX 1030 until like last month.  Haha.  Just buy a GTX 1050Ti for next to nothing and you can play AAA games!

NVIDIA is brilliant at this.  Look what they did with Volta (V100).  It's out there, you can buy it, but it's hella expensive and there are limited numbers.  Titan Xp's are freely available but still Pascal.  NVIDIA is playing the long ball.  Give 'em a taste, shut our mouths and by the time the 1100 or 2000 cards launch, we'll sell boat loads and they will outperform the competition, of course. 

Personally, I am a fan of AMD, though.  I have done many AMD builds and had an A8-6600K with an HD 7750 myself a couple years back.  That machine just seemed to be rock solid and simply worked ALL THE TIME.  Most stable machine I've ever had.  Then recently I built a friend a 2200G machine with an Asus B350 Prime Plus and an RX450 and it just hums.  So nice to build.  The parts really felt military grade.  Strong and robust. 

Point is, NVIDIA, at the moment, always wins but they're more expensive.  AMD is not perfect but an all-AMD system, I believe, is rock solid and is more like a tank than a hyper car.  Their marketing strategy is completely different.  But they manage to make products that are preeeeeeetty close but at a much cheaper price.

But lastly, I concede; Intel and NVIDIA are kings. 

Cheers :)