A Spot Of Heat Sink Bother – A Proposal

Now then mates how you doin' alright? First of all I'm starting a new build and hoping to get it all done and dusted before the end of summer. That is all you need to know about that before I get off topic. 

Now, I'm planning on using the Noctua NH-U12S with the Noctua NA-HC2 Chromax cover equipped and plonking it all in an NZXT S340 Elite. My build is going to be black and white, plain and simple. Only problem I have is that the case doesn't provide enough clearance for the heat sink with the cover on, ill be overshooting by about 5mm. So, ladies and gentlemen I've boiled it down to two options as I have my heart set on this case in all of its simple loveliness. 

Option 1: I ditch the Chromax cover and paint the heat sink myself with Palsti-Dip or something of the likes that will effect performance to a minimal but give my sink the black sexy look that I want from it. Because after some research (although there is little) it is clear to me that it is safe to paint heat sinks given you use the right type of paint and apply as little as possible whilst still maintaining a full and even coverage. Then this will all fit in my case with no clearance issues happy days, it'll probably look decent too so HURRAH! **Please let me know what you think of this option or if you have any information that could help me out or change my mind as to why this idea sucks. Also, if anyone has any actual temp numbers before and after a paint of this specific heat stink I'd really appreciate it.**

Option 2: I go balls to the wall and contact my nearest laser cutting company who can cut tempered glass. I ask them to quote me for a cutout on glass pane that will allow the excess heat sink cover length to poke snugly outside of the case. Personally I think this would get me the best results if it all goes to plan, just to have that Chromax logo sitting in the glass you know, it would be sick. I know that this would obviously be the more difficult option and I have no idea how much it would cost to get something like this done, I also have no idea if tempered glass can even be cut like that and still maintain its structural integrity but in my mind it seems like a spot on idea. 

*BONUS OPTION* (Personal Favorite): I go ahead with both of the options above and have a sexy sleek black painted heat sink with the Chromax cover on top, sitting snug inside my glass panel. This is just an idea I have anyways so let me know what you think and if you think its even possible at all to cutout part of a tempered glass panel. I personally think this would look awesome. 

Hope this post isn't too long winded and people actually understand what I'm talking about, makes sense in my head but then I've been planning it for weeks so it would. This is my first post on this forum, don't want it to be a blunder.

Cheers, Cameron. 

Some Helpful Links: https://noctua.at/en/nh-u14s.html

https://noctua.at/en/products/product-line-chromax/na-hc2-chromax-black/specification

https://www.nzxt.com/products/s340-elite-black

I'll try help you out. I'm partial to certain vendors but I'll never pretend to know something I don't. Stay cool. 

Imo best would be to pick cooler that already suits your color scheme. Dark Rock 3 is notable one, but there are other options from less known brands.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Masking off the top fin and painting it won't harm cooling and is very easy to do. I personally use Rustoleum spray paint but just about anything will work fine. 

You can tape some paper right under the top fin and stick it in a small box for an easy time painting. Here's the NH-U12S for example already painted with a Post-it for reference:

a15aec34ef76e8111abe8156510a86eb.jpg

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2018 at 5:06 PM, LoGiCalDrm said:

Imo best would be to pick cooler that already suits your color scheme. Dark Rock 3 is notable one, but there are other options from less known brands.

thanks for the suggestion and I have checked out that cooler, I like the noctua product and I'd like to support them. :)

I'll try help you out. I'm partial to certain vendors but I'll never pretend to know something I don't. Stay cool. 

On 4/7/2018 at 12:39 AM, WoodenMarker said:

Masking off the top fin and painting it won't harm cooling and is very easy to do. I personally use Rustoleum spray paint but just about anything will work fine. 

You can tape some paper right under the top fin and stick it in a small box for an easy time painting. Here's the NH-U12S for example already painted with a Post-it for reference:

On 4/7/2018 at 12:39 AM, WoodenMarker said:

That looks brilliant, If it really is that easy to paint and it doesn't have a notable affect on the performance I'll definitely give it a lick of paint. Thanks for the reply. 

I used black spray paint on the entirety ofmy cm 212+ with no I'll effects. A light coat of black should aid in cooling as black transfers heat more readily.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430