So, strange idea for a NAS

So awhile back i acquired a dell poweredge server with a couple of drives in it. After messing with the server, i got rid of it due to age and cost or running it, but i kept the drives. Watching Linus do his storage servers, I got to wanting one too. But everything is out of budget for me. I started thinking of ideas and put together this Frankenstien's monster. By using a U3eS-RM from DATOptic Inc (A hardware usb raid controller) a raspberry pi 3  with plex or open media vault and those enterprise level drives. If I made an enclosure for the dives that is only big enough to hold the drives and small power supply then place pi and controller on top; I could make a small form form factor and potentially low power NAS. I wanted to get other opinions on the idea

Uh.. no.

That doesn't seem like a good idea to me but I have 30 years experience in storage so I'm a little picky. It depends how much you like your data.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

It should work, use a small fan though as those server disks to get hot (if they are 10k/15k rpm ones).

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Though not sure how well a raspberry pi would do transcoding videos for plex...

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, jde3 said:

Uh.. no.

That doesn't seem like a good idea to me but I have 30 years experience in storage so I'm a little picky. It depends how much you like your data.

What exactly do you mean when you say "depends how much you like your data"?
Do you think it could potentially lead to data loss?

4 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

What exactly do you mean when you say "depends how much you like your data"?
Do you think it could potentially lead to data loss?

Absolutely. Don't trust cheepo hardware raid controllers.

Edit: A lot of the expensive ones suck too. You wouldn't believe the amount of errors they hide from the OS fixing it with "firmware" that probably was lost on some fired developers home directory.

6 minutes ago, jde3 said:

Absolutely. Don't trust cheepo hardware raid controllers.

Absoluty don't use the raid feature of those controllers. Use JBOD only with maybe some software raid.   although that would put more stress on the pi, so I don't know how well it would work.

Does the PI 3 have a USB 3 interface? And is the Network port still running off the USB interface is the port it Gigabit?

1 minute ago, Catsrules said:

Absoluty don't use the raid feature of those controllers. Use JBOD only with maybe some software raid.   although that would put more stress on the pi, so I don't know how well it would work.

Does the PI 3 have a USB 3 interface? And is the Network port still running off the USB interface is it Gigabit?

Ya this whole thing is just not good.

47 minutes ago, Razor02097 said:

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Though not sure how well a raspberry pi would do transcoding videos for plex...

plex cant transcode on arm

the user Javbw explained this very well

anyways, i have never seen something like this before.... it might work...

but hey... if you don't have enough storage, it might be time to get a petabyte storage server!!!

lol

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

1 minute ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

Well there you have it!

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

That's not a good idea. I don't think that adapter thing looks too good, and you're limiting yourself with bandwidth. 

54 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

Does the PI 3 have a USB 3 interface? And is the Network port still running off the USB interface is the port it Gigabit?

No, it only has a USB 2.0 interface and 10/100 ethernet. Useless for a NAS in my opinion. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 hour ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

the user Javbw explained this very well

anyways, i have never seen something like this before.... it might work...

but hey... if you don't have enough storage, it might be time to get a petabyte storage server!!!

lol

well according to this site you can force it. I don't have the pi to test this out. what do you think about direct play/stream.

4 minutes ago, nmhammer2 said:

well according to this site you can force it. I don't have the pi to test this out. what do you think about direct play/stream.

plex themselves say it's not a good idea as arm isn't powerful enough to handle even one transcoding stream...

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

1 hour ago, Jamiec1130 said:

That's not a good idea. I don't think that adapter thing looks too good, and you're limiting yourself with bandwidth. 

No, it only has a USB 2.0 interface and 10/100 ethernet. Useless for a NAS in my opinion. 

well i think there is another board called banana board m2u that has gigabit and once usb 3.0 is introduced to these types of boards a swap should be very easy.

Hey, let's get an eSATA  and USB controller and connect SAS drives, from "a" Dell PowerEdge server. If i don't remember wrong SATA wires cannot connect to SAS drives, but SATA drives can connect to SAS wires. <--- Reason why it will not work.

12 minutes ago, AbsoluteFool said:

Hey, let's get an eSATA  and USB controller and connect SAS drives, from "a" Dell PowerEdge server. If i don't remember wrong SATA wires cannot connect to SAS drives, but SATA drives can connect to SAS wires. <--- Reason why it will not work.

The drives I have are sata based. I made sure that before hand.