TEAC AI-101da for Sennheiser HD 6XX?

Hey Audiophiles,

I've been itching to hop on the 6XX drop for a while now, and finally did this time around. Previously I had bought the TEAC AI-101d to go along with my current headphones, but now that I'm looking at the specs it's showing "100mW + 100mW (with 32 ohms load, 1kHz)" while the impedance of the 6XXs is 300 ohms. Do you think my DAC/AMP is going to be powerful enough to drive these well?

Nope wouldn’t be my first pick. What’s your budget for a DAC/Amp?

2 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Nope wouldn’t be my first pick. What’s your budget for a DAC/Amp?

Don't have a set budget. What should I be looking for?

I originally picked this one because I didn't have super high end headphones, and it supported me wiring my speakers to them, so I could use it for my non-headphone audio as well.

Just now, -BirdiE- said:

Don't have a set budget. What should I be looking for?

Well that TEAC is a speaker Amp that happens to have a weak headphone out. What to look for is very subjective and depends on what you want. A budget would really help. DAC/Amps run anywhere from $50-$100,000+

3 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

I always recommend the Schiit Stack. That’s always an amazing starting point.

This, and if you want to spend less, the Fulla is ok too.

12 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Nope wouldn’t be my first pick.

So it wouldn't be your first pick, or it won't be powerful enough?

I mean, I'm all for getting a new DAC and AMP if I need to, but is it really going to be worth spending $200 to switch when this one was already more expensive to begin with?

15 minutes ago, -BirdiE- said:

So it wouldn't be your first pick, or it won't be powerful enough?

I mean, I'm all for getting a new DAC and AMP if I need to, but is it really going to be worth spending $200 to switch when this one was already more expensive to begin with?

Yes, because that one is not for headphones. Speaker Amps have a high noise floor and THD. The Schiit Stack is made for headphones and would be much better. Price doesn’t mean a lot in the world of audio gear. 

6 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

And my first pick of course depends on your budget.

What would you recommend for something like HD 650s without it being overkill? I'm not overly price sensitive, but I'd like to avoid spending unnecessarily.

1 minute ago, -BirdiE- said:

What would you recommend for something like HD 650s without it being overkill? I'm not overly price sensitive, but I'd like to avoid spending unnecessarily.

$200 is Stack and $100 is Fulla

1 minute ago, -BirdiE- said:

Schiit Stack (Magni 3 Modi 2) is always great for $200. Unless you want to go tubes, then I’d get something like the Valhalla 2 and Modi 2 which will be about $450. And then for balanced you have the X7S and X1S Stack. Or the Fostex HPA4BL.