Wait for the Ryzen Zen 2 or start building now?

Go to solution Solved by stealth80,
3 minutes ago, subrooz said:

xDxDxD

Thats interesting i didn't know about this, i had my mind set on getting 3200mhz since its probably my best bet on not breaking the bank (even though its still expensive haha) but i'll see how it plays out when the time comes. Are the X470 motherboards going to be releasing with the new Ryzen chip?

Yes, but not tested yet, rumour has it that 4000mhz can be achieved on X470, but as I said its rumour, but certainly worth waiting to see - especially how it performs on X470 (higher boost) with a potential increase in memory speed - it wont be world breaking, but imo if some of this stuff is true, it should certainly be worth waiting. I'm going to be watching closely

TLDR - wait before buying and watch reviews - don't skimp on the board or ram, only a handful of the release Ryzen boards had decent VRM's for overclocking, you can certainly ask me again April 19th cause I will be watching everything (considering jumping from 1700 to 2700X) 

Should i start an i7 8700 build right now, or wait until April 19th and get the Ryzen Zen 2?

I'm just worried once it releases that it'll be out of stock for a long time, thoughts?

Hmm 8700k I would have said go for it, 8700,  I would wait for Zen2 - depends on your usage as well

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Ryzen 1 didn't really have many availability issues, maybe a bit in the beginning but i managed to get one on launch day.
If you can wait 2 weeks, wait, if you can't, go ahead.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I'd say wait. Only Intel CPU that catches my attention personally is the i5 8400 because it competes with the also extremely popular R5 1600.

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

Ryzen 1 didn't really have many availability issues, maybe a bit in the beginning but i managed to get one on launch day.
If you can wait 2 weeks, wait, if you can't, go ahead.

So you reckon it won't immediately run out of stock for a long period of time by more extreme purchasers? I'm definitely willing to wait, just not sure if it'll be a waste of time is all

1 minute ago, subrooz said:

So you reckon it won't immediately run out of stock for a long period of time by more extreme purchasers? I'm definitely willing to wait, just not sure if it'll be a waste of time is all

If you mean a rush like we had with GPU miners, won't happen. I mean during the last 12 months we never got a point where we ran out of CPU's. GPU's however were rare AF for months and we are still recovering from that.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Thanks everyone for your input, i've decided to wait

i actually just build a Ryzen 1700x computer.  I bought pretty much all the parts brand new.  The only part that I am reusing from my old PC is my ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 6GB that I got last year for $243.99.

My whole build costed me $852.94 right now but when all the rebates arrived, it will be total of $797.94.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Ddv3bX

I think I did a decent job for building this budget PC.  Ryzen 1700x with 32GB of DDR4-2666 RAM.

I say if you can get a good deal on CPU and RAM, go for it, don't wait.

Just now, beyonddc said:

i actually just build a Ryzen 1700x computer.  I bought pretty much all the parts brand new.  The only part that I am reusing from my old PC is my ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 6GB that I got last year for $243.99.

My whole build costed me $852.94 right now but when all the rebates arrived, it will be total of $797.94.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Ddv3bX

I think I did a decent job for building this budget PC.  Ryzen 1700x with 32GB of DDR4-2666 RAM.

I say if you can get a good deal on CPU and RAM, go for it, don't wait.

That is a pretty sweet deal man, i'll look into it thanks

1 minute ago, subrooz said:

Like I said in the post, I reused my GPU Gefore 1060 6GB from my old PC.  If you add the cost of my GPU to my new build then it would be $1096.93 and $1041.93 after all rebates come in.

Price of GPU is just ridiculous, I have not much to add there.  If you can reuse your GPU from your old build, go for it and wait for a deal on GPU if that ever happen.  :(

2 minutes ago, beyonddc said:

Like I said in the post, I reused my GPU Gefore 1060 6GB from my old PC.  If you add the cost of my GPU to my new build then it would be $1096.93 and $1041.93 after all rebates come in.

Price of GPU is just ridiculous, I have not much to add there.  If you can reuse your GPU from your old build, go for it and wait for a deal on GPU if that ever happen.  :(

Agreed man GPU's became insane last year and not much has changed now, its literally the only component that breaks the bank imo along with ram rn

28 minutes ago, AskingForAFriend said:

Wait, gpu prices are too high anyways. Do buy the ram now though, its getting very expensive.

10 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Wait if you have the patience. I agree with @AskingForAFriend

Not really sure what GPU prices have to with anything haha, OP is asking about Ryzen2  xD

7 minutes ago, subrooz said:

If you go with Ryzen2 I've seen some "information/leaked reviews (take with a pinch of salt)" that suggest it can run ram at speeds of 3600mhz on X370, whilst X470 is untested. Ryzen and its infinity fabric cause latency, the faster the ram, the lower that latency which translates into more gaming performance. Wait for reviews reference ram speeds attainable, and seriously save a little more and don't skimp on DDR4 speed,  I appreciate DDR4 is expensive at the moment, but the jump in speed is worth it on Ryzen 

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

3 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Not really sure what GPU prices have to with anything haha, OP is asking about Ryzen2  xD

xDxDxD

3 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

If you go with Ryzen2 I've seen some "information/leaked reviews (take with a pinch of salt)" that suggest it can run ram at speeds of 3600mhz on X370, whilst X470 is untested. Ryzen and its infinity fabric cause latency, the faster the ram, the lower that latency which translates into more gaming performance. Wait for reviews reference ram speeds attainable, and seriously save a little more and don't skimp on DDR4 speed,  I appreciate DDR4 is expensive at the moment, but the jump in speed is worth it on Ryzen 

Thats interesting i didn't know about this, i had my mind set on getting 3200mhz since its probably my best bet on not breaking the bank (even though its still expensive haha) but i'll see how it plays out when the time comes. Are the X470 motherboards going to be releasing with the new Ryzen chip?

3 minutes ago, subrooz said:

xDxDxD

Yes, but not tested yet, rumour has it that 4000mhz can be achieved on X470, but as I said its rumour, but certainly worth waiting to see - especially how it performs on X470 (higher boost) with a potential increase in memory speed - it wont be world breaking, but imo if some of this stuff is true, it should certainly be worth waiting. I'm going to be watching closely

TLDR - wait before buying and watch reviews - don't skimp on the board or ram, only a handful of the release Ryzen boards had decent VRM's for overclocking, you can certainly ask me again April 19th cause I will be watching everything (considering jumping from 1700 to 2700X) 

Ryzen Ram Guide

2 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Appreciate the info man, i'll be waiting for sure and if i remember ill be sure to hop back on this thread April 19th to see how it all goes down :)