Old PC as Media storage and NAS

I have a somewhat old PC that is basically useless right now. Instead of selling it I want to covert it into Media Storage/ NAS for the entire family.

PC specs-

i5 3450

4 GB Ram

H61M motherboard

GT 610 (Some random card i got for free after my main card died)

500W power supply

I don't have a clear idea of how to do this. Can someone please give some links or guides on how to do this? 

Any suggestions on what to add, what software to use, what software to use to access my files on other devices?

i will mostly be using it to store movies, music, pictures, and games(along with some random data).

Currently i am looking to have a NAS of about 8 TB only but I might add more HDDs in future.

Also can it have a windows as a secondary OS, just in case I need a PC in a pinch. Somewhat like a partition based system where I can boot into windows after restarting the PC.

Any advice is welcome!

Thank you!

1 minute ago, QuirkyRobot said:

I believe Linus already has a build guide on a similar project idea. Check it out as a reference:

that doesnt quite look like what OP's trying to achieve..

--

on topic: is it running windows 10? if so just add disks to it and share them on the network.

12 minutes ago, manikyath said:

--

on topic: is it running windows 10? if so just add disks to it and share them on the network.

Yes, you're right. I was just giving it as a reference for a vague idea. I suppose I should've sent this instead:
https://www.howtogeek.com/190835/how-to-turn-an-old-pc-into-a-home-file-server/

It uses the software freeNAS to run.

As @QuirkyRobot says, FreeNAS is a good solution. I have been running it myself with a way more frankenstein setup. As is old Core2 Duo 4GB ram and 10 160gb WD Blues in Raid 10, some old 3.5" server SSD's as cache and booted of a old USB. So it will work with wierd configs and be OK. 

BUT!!!
FreeNAS does not support nor indorse these below spec configs. So if you need it for anything critical, then take a look at the suggested specs at their website. But as said, i am yet to have problems with my setup. And the failing point, will no doubt be the drives. 

So in conclution, if you use good drives, you will most likely be fine. But do not take my complete word for it, or blame me if anything go wrong.

And remember: good data-security practices also includes backups..... 

CPU: 2x E5620 - GPU: 2x GTX660 - RAM: 64gb DDR3 ECC - Mobo: Z800 OEM - Storage:1TB WD Green - 256gb - Micron C400 250gb - 850 EVO - 512gb 850 PRO
Monitors: 3x HP ZR2440W - Keyboard: G710 MX Blue - Mouse: MX Master

Keep up the good tone and stay classyxD

9 hours ago, QuirkyRobot said:

I believe Linus already has a build guide on a similar project idea. Check it out as a reference:

Not quite what I have in mind. I don't want to dive into VM's. I would rather prefer a full time up sever that can be used as basic PC for mom when required.

9 hours ago, QuirkyRobot said:

Yes, you're right. I was just giving it as a reference for a vague idea. I suppose I should've sent this instead:
https://www.howtogeek.com/190835/how-to-turn-an-old-pc-into-a-home-file-server/

It uses the software freeNAS to run.

Yeah, this is good but how to access data over wifi to my mobile. It just talks about storage for multiple systems and not for me accessing my data from my phone.

9 hours ago, manikyath said:

--

I want to be able to access data from my phone as well not just other systems.