Setup a Local Web Server

Zerxal

So I saw this video recently, (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vzojwG7OB7c) and I was wondering if you could set this up with a Xeon and everything with a version of Ubuntu Server instead of a Raspberry Pi. I know you have to get a domain and setup some things in your router config, but I’m just curious if this would work with a fully fledged server.

Sure you can host a webserver from home.. With ubuntu you'd want Apache2 or nginx, if you want php and sql you want to install the LAMP stack with apt-get install lamp-server^

Easily enough you just change the A record for the domain to poit to your own public IP. If you can't do that you also want to install DNS server and go from there.

3 hours ago, AbsoluteFool said:

Sure you can host a webserver from home.. With ubuntu you'd want Apache2 or nginx, if you want php and sql you want to install the LAMP stack with apt-get install lamp-server^

Easily enough you just change the A record for the domain to poit to your own public IP. If you can't do that you also want to install DNS server and go from there.

To be honest, I’m not the best at understanding networking and server stuff, so could you just tell me that again, but in layman’s terms? Sorry.

12 hours ago, spark_ said:

To be honest, I’m not the best at understanding networking and server stuff, so could you just tell me that again, but in layman’s terms? Sorry.

The most used webserver for ubuntu is apache2. To install it on an Xeon box with any version of ubuntu use the command: sudo apt-get install lamp-server^

The basics of LAMP is Linux (for the system type) Apache2, MySQL (database required for wordpress etc), and PHP. LAMP install it all under one command instead of using serval strings like "apt-get install mysql apache2 php-7.1"

However with domain name itself you'll want to get this from a "registrar" (any hosting provider.)

And then forward the A record in the DNS settings to your webserver (Public IP), this will work on most cpanel hosts if you have hosting pack aswell. If you do not have a hosting pack you'll want to:

Install DNS server along the LAMP stack and then configure the DNS to point at the DNS with your registrar.