Processor for Gaming and Video/Photo Editing that doesn't run insanely hot like the 6700k does.

So I currently have a 6700k, and I'm aware that they run very hot. I'm trying to select parts for my next build that will run a bit cooler. While I do plan to grab a 1080ti, or the next card, I really want to invest in keeping it cooler, since my room is very small..

Any recommendations? I'm considering Ryzen for my next build, but that will depend on what comes out. I should also say I run an HP OMEN 25in monitor. 144hz.

"We're gunna blow this mother♥♥♥♥er up." - Barret FFVII Abridged, in regards to the Mako Factory.

"WHAT HAPPENED TO THE STAIRS?!" - Eddy (Ed, Edd 'n Eddy), while sneaking Ed out of his room.

R7 1700

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

3 minutes ago, Melano said:

So I currently have a 6700k, and I'm aware that they run very hot..

what is 'very' hot to you?

6700k is stock or overclocked?

what cooler?

what motherboard?

going to a ryzen platform isn't that much 'cooler' to a small room. ambient will wreck the coolest CPU thermals.

3 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

R7 1700

Yeah I agree with this. Either 1700 or 1600 or the newer Ryzen 2 stuff coming with zen+ (higher clock speeds). 

Rig Specs:

Ryzen 7 1700 3.9ghz @1.33125v Cinebench Scores Best:1750cb Average: 1735cb

Asrock X370 SLI/AC  SOLD

Evga GTX 560 Ti 1gb    Just got a EVGA GTX 780 HydroCopper

G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8gb 2400mhz oc’d to 2666mhz (bought when ram was still cheap :()  

Corsair RM850

Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Changing to a Inwin 301 soon

Custom CPU Loop (watercooling is boring to me right now so I want to go back to air cooling and do like one more WC Loop in a Inwin 301)

Intel 256gb SSD

Kingston 240gb SSD

HyperX 90gb SSD

Not So Shitbox v3 Specs:

I7 2600k oc'd to 4.7 @ 1.4ish (will do more when I get a better cooler) 

MSI P67-GD55  Sold to fund my gpu

Gigabyte Windforce HD 6950

Team Elite Plus 8gb DDR3 (1 stick) @ 1600mhz

Thermaltake Toughpower 750 watt

Cooler Master T4

Enthoo Luxe 

Kingston 120gb SSD

WD Black 1tb HDD

Laptop:

Asus GL552VW-DH71

i7 6700HQ

2x8gb DDR4 

1tb hard drive

GTX 960m

15in IPS 1080p display

16 minutes ago, Melano said:

Well, I'm thinking more voerall heat output. My pc heats up my room too much.. so I'm starting there..

The 1080 Ti will dump more heat than the CPU by a factor of 2 or 3.

when encoding my 1800x sits at 78c with long premiere encodes when it's overclocked to 4.1ghz on a 360 water cooled closed loop. 

Just giving you a baseline of what to expect.

I'd wait and see what the new Zen+ CPU'S have to offer in April.

Lappy: i7 8750H | GTX 1060 Max Q | 16Gb 2666Mhz RAM | 256Gb SSD | 1TB HDD | 1080p IPS panel @60Hz | Dell G5

On 3/25/2018 at 12:56 AM, KarathKasun said:

The 1080 Ti will dump more heat than the CPU by a factor of 2 or 3.

Well, is there anything... hmm I should ask a Mod to move this wherever it needs to go but..

I wanna minimize heat output since I have a small room, without giving up performance for my next build

"We're gunna blow this mother♥♥♥♥er up." - Barret FFVII Abridged, in regards to the Mako Factory.

"WHAT HAPPENED TO THE STAIRS?!" - Eddy (Ed, Edd 'n Eddy), while sneaking Ed out of his room.

1 minute ago, Melano said:

Well, is there anything... hmm I should ask a Mod to move this wherever it needs to go but..

I wanna minimize heat output since I have a small room, without giving up performance for my next build

You are going to have a hard time doing that.  Regardless of how cool you keep your components, its still going to pump just as much heat into your room.

The only solution is to use lower wattage parts.  i7-8700 at stock and a GTX 1060 would be a decent halfway point, thats only ~250w total compared to a GTX 1080 Ti which puts out 250w+ by itself.

21 minutes ago, Melano said:

Undervolting both your CPU and GPU would be beneficial.

Majestic has a nice guide on undervolting with GPU Boost 3.0 and MSI Afterburner you can find here. Your 1080 Ti will lose a bit in performance, although it'll be extremely marginal and seemingly within error. I haven't a clue why but messing with GPU Boost hurts performance, even if you're going for overclocks, I think it's talked about a bit in the thread.

Your CPU should be easy in the sense that you just find the stock voltage (I dunno what it is for Skylake) and drop voltage until it becomes unstable in an AIDA stress test, in simplest terms. If you don't have a board you can control voltage with or are just feeling lazy, Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility can do it. I use XTU for laptops primarily but it will work on a desktop.

At least for me, undervolting is the difference between throttling and not for my MSI GS63VR, so the benefits can be substantial.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I second undervolting. Anything higher performing will just dump more heat into your room, and you can't really get around losing performance for a lower heat output unless you get lucky on undervolting (silicon lotto applies here too).

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

If your concern is heating up your room, you need to be looking for components with low power consumption.  The fewer watts you use, regaurdless of componenet temps, the less heat that is going to be put into your room.  #science

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB