Could computers be conscious?

Extremely doubtful. The most we can hope for is improved canned answers.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

11 minutes ago, kilgore_T said:

some people believe in the soul

some people do not believe in the soul

But the burden of proof is on the person making a claim.

some people believe in invisible flying unicorns

some people do not believe in the invisible flying unicorns

both are beliefs

neither position can be proved

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

3 minutes ago, Rupe said:

But the burden of proof is on the person making a claim.

some people believe in invisible flying unicorns

some people do not believe in the invisible flying unicorns

both are beliefs

neither position can be proved

exactly

no one can prove there is no soul

no one can prove there is a soul

Just now, kilgore_T said:

exactly

And no one can prove there isn't invisible flying unicorns. Doesn't make it likely. If you're going to make a claim like 'There is a soul' you need to provide the evidence.

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

Just now, kilgore_T said:

exactly

with that kind of reasoning no one can prove there is no santa claus, unicorns or the tooth fairy. Anything is possible i guess.

Just now, Rupe said:

And no one can prove there isn't invisible flying unicorns. Doesn't make it likely. If you're going to make a claim like 'There is a soul' you need to provide the evidence.

once again I agree

no one can provide evidence for or against the reality of the soul

1 minute ago, kilgore_T said:

once again I agree

no one can provide evidence for or against the reality of the soul

Ok good, so you accept there is no good reason to believe in a soul. I'm just making sure cas it sounds like you're trying to make a false equivalency saying both points are equally as valid.

4 minutes ago, Rupe said:

Ok good, so you accept there is no good reason to believe in a soul. I'm just making sure cas it sounds like you're trying to make a false equivalency saying both points are equally as valid.

both points are beliefs there is no proof either way

you appear to believe that there is no soul and to you that is valid

to someone who believes in the soul that belief is also valid to them

no false equivalency when we are discussing beliefs

sorry for the derail

did make me think about the question though

Im pretty sure - I could be wrong - but im pretty sure humans can not currently define consciousness

so hey maybe the concrescence of the entire machine network is conscious

and maybe its asking itself if humans are conscious

2 minutes ago, kilgore_T said:

both points are beliefs there is no proof either way

you appear to believe that there is no soul and to you that is valid

to someone who believes in the soul that belief is also valid to them

no false equivalency when we are discussing beliefs

Yes I know. All i'm saying is that as far as truth is confirmed if you're going to make a claim like 'There is a soul' you need to be able to provide evidence otherwise there is no good reason to believe it. You keep using the term 'valid' and I don't know how you are defining that term? 

Would you say for example my belief in invisible flying unicorns is just as valid as the person belief that there are no invisible flying unicorns?

Once AI becomes so advance to the point where human and AI Are indistinguishable wouldn't it be UN-ethical to even turn them off? 

religious believes are ok, we should respect them. Just not in any science context. Don't mix the 2 please.

Just now, Rupe said:

Yes I know. All i'm saying is that as far as truth is confirmed if you're going to make a claim like 'There is a soul' you need to be able to provide evidence otherwise there is no good reason to believe it. You keep using the term 'valid' and I don't know how you are defining that term? 

Would you say for example my belief in invisible flying unicorns is just as valid as the person belief that there are no invisible flying unicorns?

I made no claim as to the existence of the soul

you used the term valid in your post in reply to me - equally as valid - you said

all im saying is that both points of view are beliefs

you either believe in a soul or you don't...beliefs do not make something true or false

you said the burden of proof was on me for some reason

so how about you prove to me there is no soul

Hello? Skynet? Is that you? 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

1 minute ago, asus killer said:

religious believes are ok, we should respect them. Just not in any science context. Don't mix the 2 please.

some would say theology and philosophy are prime determining factors of consciousness,

so once the AI starts down the... what if... route then we could say its conscious like us

8 minutes ago, kilgore_T said:

sorry for the derail

did make me think about the question though

Im pretty sure - I could be wrong - but im pretty sure humans can not currently define consciousness

so hey maybe the concrescence of the entire machine network is conscious

and maybe its asking itself if humans are conscious

You also cant prove that oneself is conscious, people often quote "i think, therefore i am" which is a logical fallacy as it presupposes that there is an "I", that there is such an activity as "thinking", and that "I" know what "thinking" is 

• "x" thinks
  • I am that "x"
  • Therefore, I think
  • Therefore, I am

therefore concluding with existence is logically trivial

1 minute ago, FirstArmada said:

You also cant prove that oneself is conscious, people often quote "i think, therefore i am" which is a logical fallacy as it presupposes that there is an "I", that there is such an activity as "thinking", and that "I" know what "thinking" is 

totally agree

13 minutes ago, kilgore_T said:

I made no claim as to the existence of the soul

No but you seem to be saying that its makes as much sense to believe there is a soul as there is not just because thery're both beliefs. So im just claiming there is no good reason to believe in a soul.

18 minutes ago, kilgore_T said:

all im saying is that both points of view are beliefs

you either believe in a soul or you don't...beliefs do not make something true or false

Exactly but the burden of proof is on the person making the positive claim

18 minutes ago, kilgore_T said:

you said the burden of proof was on me for some reason

so how about you prove to me there is no soul

The claim I would make is that there is no good reason to believe in a soul (I might say 'there is no soul' because it makes more sense colloquially but really what i mean is there is no good reason to believe it) as with the flying invisible unicorn. With good evidence or even reasoning i'm happy to alter my beliefs.

The question I want you to answer is, Do you agree there is no good reason to believe in a soul? If not then what is the reason to believe in a soul

You'd have to define what a soul is first...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

9 minutes ago, Sauron said:

You'd have to define what a soul is first...

^ Why argue about something you cant even define? or begin to understand

On the topic of souls, how much space would my computer need to be now to download one?

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

9 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

On the topic of souls, how much space would my computer need to be now to download one?

Define soul

10 hours ago, Ertman said:

To the question, no, computers much like anything else including humans don’t have souls. However “souls” aren’t what makes humans unique, being able to have this discussion is something that sets us apart.

So a computer can’t have a soul, but eventually with enough programming and complexity, could they dream?

Depends on what you call dreaming. According to Dictionary.com, dreaming is defined as:

noun
a succession of images, thoughts, or emotions passing through the mind during sleep.

So, a computer would first have to have an actual mind of some sort. The thing about computers though, is that they can't do something they're not programmed to do. A computer only does what it's told to. A computer that's "dreaming" would first have to be fully self-aware, conscious, and be able to fall in and out of said consciousness. It would also require having a mind that can think for itself and create its own images, similar to a human mind. So it would require the computer to be completely independent from everything else as well. Putting a Computer to Sleep in Windows doesn't necessarily make the computer lose consciousness because it's not "awake", Sleep mode is roughly halfway between awake and Shut Down.

I think by the time a computer is capable of dreaming, we'd both be long dead.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

The term "soul" refers to a living being, not a dead one or some spirit being. Ever heard the saying for example.."Look at that poor SOUL", perhaps referring to an unfortunate event a living person has gone through. If you're taking the word "soul" from a religious point, ie The Bible, then you'll not that the word for soul, both in Hebrew and Greek, is different from the word "spirit" in Hebrew and Greek. People assume "soul" and "spirit" mean the same thing, which isn't the case at all.

Spirit in Hebrew/Greek: ru'ach, pneu'ma 

Soul in Hebrew/Greek: ne'pesh, psy-keh'

Now back to the OP topic, if computer chips will ever be "conscious", I guess that could be true, but to what level of consciousness is another debate. There's a simple law, you cannot create something from nothing, this is true for current AI. Currently humans have to write the coding for AI mechanisms, so in this respect AI is just that, artificial intelligence....a false form of intelligence created by humans through a complex set of algorithms etc. It doesn't have any structure or life of it's own, it's a program, albeit very complex.

So yes, computers could be "conscious" but I don't believe they will ever be REALLY conscious, it's impossible. They are not a life form, they don't know they are alive, all their actions are merely reading coding and acting upon it. Have a break in the code and the AI is dead.

7 minutes ago, FirstArmada said:

Define soul

I don’t know how to define soul because 1. I’m not a dictionary, 2. I lack basic empathy and 3. I would like to know where I can download one so pls tell me

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."