Could computers be conscious?

7 minutes ago, xFROXZTx said:

Wait aren't we already computers, just biological?

I think we’re a biological electronic. Our brain and parts of our body function off electrical impulses that we don’t think twice about.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

6 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

I think we’re a biological electronic. Our brain and parts of our body function off electrical impulses that we don’t think twice about.

I agree with you.

1 hour ago, kilgore_T said:

some would say theology and philosophy are prime determining factors of consciousness,

so once the AI starts down the... what if... route then we could say its conscious like us

i would say that once a AI went into religion or theology it would be malfunctioning or it was programmed to do so. It's not a reasonable thinking so it would be illogical for a AI to go down that path.

Regards some AI question it's existence or being aware it exists, i would say it is a inevitability in a not so distant future. Just think how much computers advanced in such a short period of time and compare it to human brain evolution that took millions of years.

10 hours ago, asus killer said:

sorry for the facebook link, still it's a video you don't have to be a member, get over it :P

9 hours ago, Rupe said:

But the burden of proof is on the person making a claim.

some people believe in invisible flying unicorns

some people do not believe in the invisible flying unicorns

both are beliefs

neither position can be proved

One could very much argue that the concept of a soul is non-falsifiable ; and thus cannot be proven or dis-proven regardless of science or religion . Just like Last Thursdayism

or realism vs solipsism .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

13 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Depends on what you call dreaming. According to Dictionary.com, dreaming is defined as:

So, a computer would first have to have an actual mind of some sort. The thing about computers though, is that they can't do something they're not programmed to do. A computer only does what it's told to. A computer that's "dreaming" would first have to be fully self-aware, conscious, and be able to fall in and out of said consciousness. It would also require having a mind that can think for itself and create its own images, similar to a human mind. So it would require the computer to be completely independent from everything else as well. Putting a Computer to Sleep in Windows doesn't necessarily make the computer lose consciousness because it's not "awake", Sleep mode is roughly halfway between awake and Shut Down.

I think by the time a computer is capable of dreaming, we'd both be long dead.

First, I was mainly joking or light hearted look at the topic. I think you are being to literal with use of the the word sleep and the sleep function of a computer. You are applying human standards to a machine, and this brings up a good point regarding what it means to be human. I wouldn’t necessarily think that a computer would  even need consciousness and self awareness to dream, it would require however to have that to know that it was dream, know of its own existence.

Also, while computers can only do what they are programmed to do, but that doesn’t mean that the programming cannot be corrupted in such a way where unforeseen outcomes from standard inputs could happen. This is is also seen in living creatures where mutation can occur. Would these corruption lead to computers dreaming or attaining consciousness? Not likely.

nope

sure computers can operate with a huge amount of information and make some logical conclusions but they will never be conscious