Cheapest 12 Core Setup?

I'm currently using a 8 core desktop to render personal and school related videos, and I prefer to keep working while the videos are being rendered. This is an issue with my current setup as I use plenty of Adobe PS and AI and those programs eat up CPU like you wouldn't believe. I've been forced to dedicate at least 4 cores (a whole CPU!!!) to other programs while rendering and it slows down a lot. I'm considering moving to a 10 or more core server-ish build but I can't afford to go out and buy new parts. I'll likely sell my old workstation in order to fund the new one so it'll have to be able to multitask and not just a render node. 

What are your suggestions? I would like to go 1366 but I don't know much about that generation of servers (I'm still on 771)

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

4 minutes ago, ShadowChaser said:

I'm currently using a 8 core desktop to render personal and school related videos, and I prefer to keep working while the videos are being rendered. This is an issue with my current setup as I use plenty of Adobe PS and AI and those programs eat up CPU like you wouldn't believe. I've been forced to dedicate at least 4 cores (a whole CPU!!!) to other programs while rendering and it slows down a lot. I'm considering moving to a 10 or more core server-ish build but I can't afford to go out and buy new parts. I'll likely sell my old workstation in order to fund the new one so it'll have to be able to multitask and not just a render node. 

What are your suggestions? I would like to go 1366 but I don't know much about that generation of servers (I'm still on 771)

Is that 8 core, 16 threads?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

budget?

there is a lot more than core count, and a modern dual core is faster than a dual 771 system in basically all tasks.

id probably r=go r7 1700

18 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

there is a lot more than core count, and a modern dual core is faster than a dual 771 system in basically all tasks.

I'd like to see the sauce for that.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

I'd like to see the sauce for that.

getting good data is hard, but 

Here are some numbers

cinebench multithreaeded

~450 on dual 771(depends on exact chips, this case was e5345)

457 on i3 7350k

c-ray rendering (time in sec, lower is better)

42.39 on dual x5450

Geekbench

~9200 on dual x5345

~10400 on the 7350k

Getting data is hard, but the i3 is often faster of about the same. 

42 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Here are some numbers

cinebench multithreaeded

457 on i3 7350k

42.39 on dual x5450

Geekbench

~9200 on dual x5345

~10400 on the 7350k

7350K is also $150 ish. I build my 8c8t server for the same as a single 7350K CPU. I also found that my OCed 7600K performs about the same as my server irl, but I won't be able to multitask while rendering

1 hour ago, ShadowChaser said:

what's your budget? 

if you can shell out some cash get a TR-1920x 

here are some price list from amd and they just recently cut price.

if your living in US, this is some killer deals

rx.jpg

The norms in which determines the measure of morality of a human act are objective to the moral law and subjectively man/woman's conscience

I agree, whats the budget? Moving to a 1366 system will net you some more performance running 5650-5690 xeons but the major issue is they dont shine unless you can overclock them, and as far as i know the only dual socket X58 based overclockable board sells for more than Threadripper these days (the EVGA Classified SR-2) The next step up in older tech is a x79 system but again you lose most of the over clocking, but are on much better hardware (socket 2011-1).

depends on what the budget is and what you are expecting to gain.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Here are some numbers

cinebench multithreaeded

457 on i3 7350k

42.39 on dual x5450

Geekbench

~9200 on dual x5345

~10400 on the 7350k

not sure on this, my single 5680 xeon pounds the shit out of any of the 6th gen I3's i've seen or tested.

7 minutes ago, FlatBrokeRacing said:

not sure on this, my single 5680 xeon pounds the shit out of any of the 6th gen I3's i've seen or tested.

It's also 1366 not 771

@WhisperingKnickers knows a lost about this stuff

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

15 minutes ago, FlatBrokeRacing said:

I agree, whats the budget? Moving to a 1366 system will net you some more performance running 5650-5690 xeons but the major issue is they dont shine unless you can overclock them, and as far as i know the only dual socket X58 based overclockable board sells for more than Threadripper these days (the EVGA Classified SR-2) The next step up in older tech is a x79 system but again you lose most of the over clocking, but are on much better hardware (socket 2011-1).

the 5690 as well as the 5670 and 5675 are fantastic even without overclocking. Especially if you have a dual socket right like ones I have made in the past. I personally use two of the 5690 and while I have them both overclocked I didn't use to. At stock they still are much better value than most modern cpus if you are looking for price to performance. The only downside I have seen is you do have to be sure you don't mind pulling a bit more power from the wall. Power efficiency isn't really their thing but they can still compete performance wise

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

@ShadowChaser If you have an questions or want advice for a 1366 system please feel free to contact me, I have made several x58 systems

also you can find some more infor here at the x58 fan page

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

2 hours ago, ShadowChaser said:

7350K is also $150 ish. I build my 8c8t server for the same as a single 7350K CPU. I also found that my OCed 7600K performs about the same as my server irl, but I won't be able to multitask while rendering

the extra cores wont help you with multitasking, cpu's can switch very quickly between tasks. a quad cores i5 or simmilar will be just as fast multi tasking or faster than than the dual 771, but if you want a cheap system that has fast multithreaded id go udal lga 1366 systems or dual 2011 if you want to spend more. I have dual e5 2680 v2's and those things fly.

1 hour ago, FlatBrokeRacing said:

this is 771, not 1366, 1366 hex cores where much faster than the dual 771 system. I have a few of them and there really starting to show their age now.

5 hours ago, zeraine00 said:

what's your budget? 

if you can shell out some cash get a TR-1920x 

here are some price list from amd and they just recently cut price.

if your living in US, this is some killer deals

rx.jpg

4 hours ago, FlatBrokeRacing said:

The amount a TR costs is wayy out of my budget. I can't even afford x79 or newer haha. Specifically looking for a premade, decommissioned server for under 500.

4 hours ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

@ShadowChaser If you have an questions or want advice for a 1366 system please feel free to contact me, I have made several x58 systems

also you can find some more infor here at the x58 fan page

Thanks! I don't know anything about servers with 1366 boards in them, and since I really don't want to start from scratch, I'd rather start with a barebones and get a pair of Xeons and 32 GB of RAM. Is there a list of servers that support 1366 dual socket?